Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Josh Garton

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Josh Garton

This player is worth keeping an eye on. He has played four games and hit two absolute bomb home runs plus a triple off the wall. He has already been moved into the cleanup spot despite not making a club out of spring training and starting in extended. Ball absolutely flies off his bat. Good athlete with solid physical build. Hockey player mentality. Has already run over a catcher on a play at the plate and sent the guy to the disabled list with a concussion, and made a lunging catch on a foul fly while crashing into the fence, hard.

Will he revert to 2009 form after a few days? Maybe. But he looks pretty good right now. Really, really hard-nosed player with some speed and light-tower power. I am looking forward to seeing him play over the next few days and see if these first four games were a mirage.

Re: Josh Garton

Here's BA's scouting report on him from last year's draft. He was taken in the 12th round.

Josh Garton, an outfielder at Volunteer State, challenged pitchers Trent Rothlin, a righthander committed to Mississippi, and lefty Chad Bell (Tennessee) as the top prospect in the juco ranks. Garton, a Florida International signee, might be better suited to first base or left field in pro ball. He's strong-bodied and athletic, with a fringe-average arm, and has played some center field. He plays with energy, endearing him to scouts and college coaches alike. His bat is his best tool, with above-average raw power, and he could go in the seventh- to 10th-round range.

I love power hitters, is he a decent fielder who could stay in the OF or is he more suited for 1st?

He looks like an upgrade defensively in left or right to what we have had the last two years. No reason whatsoever to say at this point that he would not be able to play right field long term. Big question I have: will he keep making contact? He was terrible in Billings. This guy looks like a gamer. Two 430 foot home runs in four games. One triple that might have knocked a hole in the fence. One opposing catcher on the disabled list with a concussion. Keep an eye on this player. He might be hitting .180 in two weeks, but I guarantee you he has caught the Reds attention, big time.

Well, there are a couple very encouraging things here. 1 ) It's not often that 72 is so openly enthusiastic about a Dayton prospect; and 2) Garton's apparent power is something that the Reds' system is distinctly short of. There's Francisco, whom some (including me) like quite a bit but others have little hope for; there are Alonso and Frazier, who have demonstrated theirs in moderation; there are Mesoraco and Soto, on whom the jury will deliberate a lot longer; and there are Duran and Y. Rodriguez, who are still growing into their bodies. So, let's hope that Garton is more than a two-hit wonder.

Well, I have to chuckle at that. Is that the way it comes across? I have raved about Rojas, Frazier, Soto, Serrano, and some others. I was the biggest Zach Stewart fan on the planet even before the 2009 season. I have said many good things about Fairel, Horst, Coddington, Cozart, Thurman (granted, with a bit of caution). I said it was too soon to bury Mesoraco, even when I didn't see much there to like. I have come around on Ravin. This kid Garton...its early, but how can you not like an OPS of 1.371 after four games?

Oh yeah, you haven't typically been critical of the prospects. And there have been quite a few that you've touted, as I recall. But usually it seems tempered, as opposed to head-over-heels. Like with Rojas, it was all about his defense. I just don't remember you coming out, unsolicited, and trumpeting a guy so resoundingly. Of course, that could be a function of Garton just being there for a few days--not long enough to expose the holes in his game. You did warn that there's still the question of his ability to make contact . . .

In short, I was just struck by your enthusiasm. It rubbed off.

I just hope he backs of the "football mentality" thing a bit. Guys who crash into walls on a regular basis endear themselves to fans but tend to have truncated careers, going all the way back to Pete Reiser.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

72 what do you make of Stewart's struggles since the trade?
    Go BLUE!!!

From the DDN:

• Outfielder Josh Garton, who has eight homers in 42 games since joining the team in early May. Griffey likens him to a young Paul O’Neill.
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayto...ot-786500.html

Hope we can get Roberto Kelly for him

I might even settle for Bobby Kelly.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I might even settle for Bobby Kelly.
    How about Kelly Rippa?

Turn Off Ads?