Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good news and bad news for MLB Network

Good news and bad news for MLB Network

Good news is they have 55 million subscribers.

Bad news is they have very low ratings.

http://bizofbaseball.com/index.php?o...work&Itemid=82
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Good news and bad news for MLB Network

Don't most non-basic cable networks (outside of say, HBO) generally have low ratings?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Not on Dish so I can't even get it.

On pay channels like MLB, ratings do not matter. Only subscribers. Once they build their network (I have DTV, but the local cable system does not ever offer it), that will rise to more respectable ratings.

I love the MLB Network. They do repeat programing but that's to be expected.

If you are a Baseball Fan unable to receive MLB Network, you should call or write your cable provider and demand they add MLB Network to your basic plan.

It sure beats any other network's coverage of THE GAME.

Ratings matter very little to a channel like MLB Network. Paid subscribers are where it is at and any advertising revenue is a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds1 View Post
    Not on Dish so I can't even get it.
    Same with me. Very low ratings in my house.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Same with me. Very low ratings in my house.
    That is the exact reason I switched to Time Warner from Dish. Not carrying MLB Network was the final straw and DirecTV was not an option for me. I knew from past experience that Dish will only add the channel when they absolutely must.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    That is the exact reason I switched to Time Warner from Dish. Not carrying MLB Network was the final straw and DirecTV was not an option for me. I knew from past experience that Dish will only add the channel when they absolutely must.
    I'll be changing soon. I just had a very bad experience with DISH. For other reasons it may be later in the summer or fall before I can. But I will be changing.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Ratings matter very little to a channel like MLB Network. Paid subscribers are where it is at and any advertising revenue is a bonus.
    They might matter to cable systems, which are under increasing pressure from subscribers to stop raising rates. One ongoing source of increased costs is sports networks. Cutting the lowest rated sports network might be a smart financial choice for cable operators.
    /r/reds

This is precisely why MLB demanded that they be included in the larger cable package. This way they a buck or two from every cable subscriber. If you figure the MLB package cost ~100 bucks, you'd have to have every 1 in 100 cable subscriber sign up for the channel to make similar revenue, and I'm guess it's more like 1 in 1000.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

One of the article comments made the point I was going to make -- prime-time ratings are a little bit misleading, because the majority of the target demographic (MLB junkies) is watching their team play on some other channel at that time.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

As a fan of an out-of-town team, I love MLB Network. They way they cover games in progress is second to none. And their hosts are much better than the ESPN Baseball Tonight crew.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

The ratings aren't my fault. That channel is on every second that I'm home except when the Reds are playing.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

If my cable package offered it, I'd have it on 24/7. Insight is the pits in this regard, they need to meet the demands of so many baseball fans here in Columbus and get MLB Network. Baseball Tonight has lost the loyalty I've given then since I was a kid.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Turn Off Ads?