Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can The Reds Win With Bailey and Cueto?

Can The Reds Win With Bailey and Cueto?

Yes, a knee jerk reaction to Friday's game, but something that I've been wondering about for awhile.

Both are young, flyball pitchers who have yet to really find it. I think unless they close the gap in GABP to get rid of the wind tunnel in right center, there is no way the Reds can afford to keep both and compete.

If the Reds played in a less homer friendly park, they could let both of them work things out in the hope that at least one of them reaches their potential. But in GABP, when they make just one mistake, they get hammered. I don't see this letting up.

I say trade at least on of them for a real LF. One of them and Phillips would get a great one.

Anyone agree?
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Can The Reds Win With Bailey and Cueto?

i find it a bit emotionally draining to be a Reds fan. my enthusiasm tank is pretty empty right now. the team keeps making mistake after mistake despite changes in ownership, GMs & managers. then the team keeps running out the same 'potential' guys year after year with the same subpar results. it wouldn't suprise me if someday Homer was a good major league starter but i suspect it will NEVER be for the Reds. as for Johnny i am past ready for his move to the pen. its truly amazing how many chances these guys get.

I would actually be HAPPY if the team:
    1. Traded Homer tomorrow for the best deal we could get
    2. Called up Maloney to take his place
    3. Moved Cueto to the pen when the team feels Chapman is ready
    4. trade/release Harang when the team feels Wood is ready
    5. trade Brandon 'showboat' Phillips after a hot streak when they can get value

it seems 2010 was simply to put 'lipstick on the pig' of the 2009 team & try to sell it to the fans as a team that could compete. same players as 2009 is gonna get you the same results as 2009.

Why is there so much hate for Cueto on here? He showed improvement from his first to second year, and while he's off to a slow start this year, his last two starts have been much better.

He'll be fine.

it'd probably wouldn't sting so much to be a flyball pitcher if they weren't always(or should I say eventually)pitching behind in the count. I wonder if the Reds hitters(although they had a good night)noticed that the Cubs still got their knocks even after taking a few pitches and falling behind in the count early on...I'd just like them to take a few so that I don't have to hear Thom say "first pitch swinging"....that really drives him crazy eh?

btw why is it that everyone is always jonesing to trade Phillips? He's one of if not the best defensive middle infielder in the league and while he's no cleanup hitter he is still a very solid offensive player for his position. If it's his being the anti Adam Rosales then I can understand somewhat but otherwise I don't really get it. Without him what are you gonna fill that spot with...more Aaron Miles types?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I think unless they close the gap in GABP to get rid of the wind tunnel in right center, there is no way the Reds can afford to keep both and compete.

If the Reds played in a less homer friendly park, they could let both of them work things out in the hope that at least one of them reaches their potential. But in GABP, when they make just one mistake, they get hammered. I don't see this letting up.

Anyone agree?
    Code:
    Pitching Splits 	
    	GP IP 	  BB  SO 	ERA   BAA  OBP  SLG  OPS 
    Total 	28 252.1 100 219 	5.17 .274 .347 .425 .772 
    Home 	15 138.0  48 120 	5.35 .267 .336 .433 .768 
    Away 	13 114.1  52  99 	4.96 .282 .361 .416 .777
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/splits?team=cin

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    the team keeps making mistake after mistake despite changes in ownership, GMs & managers.

then the team keeps running out the same 'potential' guys year after year with the same subpar results. it seems 2010 was simply to put 'lipstick on the pig' of the 2009 team & try to sell it to the fans as a team that could compete. same players as 2009 is gonna get you the same results as 2009.
    I think that I agree with you. I wish that the Reds would either get on the Tampa, Florida, Oakland, and Minnesota plan or get on the St. Louis and other big spenders plan. The Reds keep getting basically the same $50.00 bag of groceries filled with cheap cosmetics when they go shopping.

They did pay the big bucks for the general manager, the manager and the broadcast booth, to get similiar results, that many try to dismiss and white wash away.

The same players as 2008, 2009 or the same, like or similar performance and production numbers, even if the players names change, will get you the same results as 2008, 2009.…..2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 etc.

Walt Jocketty/Dusty Baker's Cincinnati Reds
    2008 OBP .321 ranked 25th RS 704 ranked 24th 4.34 RPG
    2009 OBP .318 ranked 28th RS 673 ranked 24th 4.15 RPG
    2010 OBP .314 ranked 25th RS 121 ranked 20th RS projects 700 4.32 RPG
    Improvement ???

Run support for the pitching?

Or the same lipstick?
    Repackaged and sold to the fans.
    I think that I recognize the snout and curly little tail.

To put "lipstick on a pig" is a rhetorical expression, used to convey the message that making superficial or cosmetic changes is a futile attempt to disguise the true nature of a product.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipstick_on_a_pig
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 05-08-2010 at 10:14 AM.

I'm with Reds44. I don't get the hating on Cueto. Our SP has been better as a whole during the last 10 games. Last night is was awful. It happens.

By the way I am not opposed to trying Bailey in the pen. I do agree that his days as a starter are numbered.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I simply don't see Homer working out in the pen at ALL. He's the type of pitcher who gets better the longer he throws. Pretty much the opposite of what you want from a bullpen arm. I vote that we keep throwing him out there every 5 days all season long. He's still VERY young and he's going to be inconsistent. The rotation is definitely where he belongs. Everybody has a stinker now and then.

Both have shown their overall lack of mental toughness on the mound, and neither have stuff good enough to overcome that.

Patience will have to be the order of the day with these guys.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I don't think Cueto and Bailey should be lumped into the same category. Yes, both can be frustrating at times, but Cueto has actually had some sustained ML success over the past two years. He hasn't been dominant, but he has been a consistent ML average starter--and I think that will continue, or he could even get better. Bailey, OTOH, had a flash of success at the end of last year, but other than that he's been way too hittable for a long time. He's the one I'm really worried about.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Young pitchers have to learn how to pitch at the MLB level. All good pitchers do this. Give them time. Be happy we have two young studs instead of rejects that we have seen thrown out there in the past. I would take Bailey and Cueto any day over an Eric Milton type that we pay big bucks to stink.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

Quote Originally Posted by alexad View Post
    Young pitchers have to learn how to pitch at the MLB level. All good pitchers do this. Give them time. Be happy we have two young studs instead of rejects that we have seen thrown out there in the past. I would take Bailey and Cueto any day over an Eric Milton type that we pay big bucks to stink.
    Amen to that. It is difficult not to get frustrated though. We just have to remember they are both still 23. Not everyone can be Mike Leake and just already know how to pitch at that age.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I don't think Bailey has much value right now. Until we know for sure what Edison is when he gets back the Reds would be wise to hold on to Homer. I would hope that we see Homer glued to Price's side in the dugout today.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Why is there so much hate for Cueto on here? He showed improvement from his first to second year, and while he's off to a slow start this year, his last two starts have been much better.

He'll be fine.
    OTM. Pretty unfair to Cueto, I agree.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

The frustration being expressed with Bailey and Cueto is understandable, but premature and overblown. Let me explain. Both are young starting pitchers still learning on the job, building their stamina, gaining experience in what it takes to be steady and reliable all year long.

If they end the 2010 season as inconsistent as they have been to start the season, then it will be time to ask the kinds of questions some of you are posing. Namely, should they remain in our rotation at all? Should they remain but be viewed as middle of the rotation candidates or back-end fodder? Should one of them get recast in Owings' long-relief/spot starter role?

Come September, we should know more about the long-range potential of both of these pitchers and whether they're going to fulfill their potential anytime in the foreseeable future or in a Reds uniform.

For now, our focus should be on Harang and Arroyo. They are the two Reds starting pitchers whose fates should be settled earlier this season. And they are the two whose inconsistencies I find more frustrating than the shortcomings of either Bailey or Cueto.

Why? Because Harang and Arroyo are seasoned veterans drawing megabucks. They're paid quite handsomely to perform at a high level, and when they don't, too much pressure and stress gets diverted to the younger guns like Cueto and Bailey.

If Harang and Arroyo are still sporting ERA's over 6.00 a month from now, I highly doubt either's option will be picked up. Then the burning questions become: Can they be traded? When will they go? Can we reasonably hope to receive any fair return in the deals?

Turn Off Ads?