Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: The Revenge of Adam Rosales?

  1. #1
    No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    8,354

    The Revenge of Adam Rosales?

    He's looking like, well, a viable major league starter with the A's this year. Small sample size? Maybe. Titanic Reds front office miscalculation? Also maybe. Too early to tell either way, but here's what CBS Sportsline has to say about him:

    Oakland INF Adam Rosales has been one of the bright spots for the Oakland A's in this injury-plagued season, reports MLB.com Saturday. Rosales, filling in for Mark Ellis, has been effective but is currently mired in a 2-for-16 slump entering Saturday's game. Still, he is batting .284 on the year. "He looks like a regular," Geren said. "He looks like an everyday player, he's playing great."
    (Updated 05/08/2010).
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Senor Votto Degenerate39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,918

    Re: The Revenge of Adam Rosales?

    At least the Reds don't have Willy.
    Most Vottomatic Player

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,746

    Re: The Revenge of Adam Rosales?

    His K-rate is up 50%, his W-rate is down 50%, his BABIP is up 50% and his HR/FB rate is up 200%.

    His LD-rate is 36.1%. His ISO is the same. His OBA is up 3%.

    And yet his OPS is only .692.

    He has lucked his way into being a marginal player.

    Stats suggest he is actually worse than last year.

  5. #4
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,949

    Re: The Revenge of Adam Rosales?

    Rosales is a guy who has always taken time to adjust to a new level. Last year we were seeing that adjustment period and I'd guess the spoardic PT may mean its not over. I don't think he's a regular, but he'll be a quality bench player for many years IMO. I'm guessing that in 2025 we'll look back and won't see much difference in the careers of Adam Rosales, Chris Valaika and Todd Frazier. A smart team would have kept Rosales around while cashing in on Frazier while his value was high. Frazier will be a pretty good supersub IMO, I just wonder if he could have been parlayed into more as opposed to selling low on Rosales and getting basically nothing.

    Dealing Rosales isn't crippling, but its another unfavorable consequence of ill-advised signings like that of Willy Taveras.
    Last edited by mth123; 05-09-2010 at 10:46 AM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,586

    Re: The Revenge of Adam Rosales?

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Rosales is a guy who has always taken time to adjust to a new level. Last year we were seeing that adjustment period and I'd guess the spoardic PT may mean its not over. I don't think he's a regular, but he'll be a quality bench player for many years IMO. I'm guessing that in 2025 we'll look back and won't see much difference in the careers of Adam Rosales, Chris Valaika and Todd Frazier. A smart team would have kept Rosales around while cashing in on Frazier while his value was high. Frazier will be a pretty good supersub IMO, I just wonder if he could have been parlayed into more as opposed to selling low on Rosales and getting basically nothing.

    Dealing Rosales isn't crippling, but its another unfavorable consequence of ill-advised signings like that of Willy Taveras.

    You've really gone out on an RZ ledge here, comparing Rosales to the much loved Frazier! I don't quite agree with you but I do think Rosales has a chance to become a productive backup player.

  7. #6
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,949

    Re: The Revenge of Adam Rosales?

    Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    You've really gone out on an RZ ledge here, comparing Rosales to the much loved Frazier! I don't quite agree with you but I do think Rosales has a chance to become a productive backup player.
    I think all three are guys who won't have enough bat for any position that they could play regularly on defense. But all three are versatile enough to play a lot at a lot of different spots and provide a .750 to .775 OPS.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,586

    Re: The Revenge of Adam Rosales?

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think all three are guys who won't have enough bat for any position that they could play regularly on defense. But all three are versatile enough to play a lot at a lot of different spots and provide a .750 to .775 OPS.
    With this I agree 100%.

  9. #8
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    5,076

    Re: The Revenge of Adam Rosales?

    Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    At least the Reds don't have Willy.
    Wasn't the difference between Willie T's bad contract and Aaron Miles' bad contract about a million?

    That's the value the Reds placed on Rosales (for good or bad): $1 million.

  10. #9
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Guelph, ON
    Posts
    16,149

    Re: The Revenge of Adam Rosales?

    Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Wasn't the difference between Willie T's bad contract and Aaron Miles' bad contract about a million?

    That's the value the Reds placed on Rosales (for good or bad): $1 million.
    Yep. The Reds basically sold Rosales to the A's. I'd rather have Rosales than Cairo to be sure, but it's nothing to get worked up about.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  11. #10
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: The Revenge of Adam Rosales?

    Rosales isn't a starter, but I'd much rather him on the bench than Miguel Cairo.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  12. #11
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    5,076

    Re: The Revenge of Adam Rosales?

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Rosales isn't a starter, but I'd much rather him on the bench than Miguel Cairo.
    Me too, and if I'm the Reds, I'd fork over $1 million dollars to get him.

    As you say, he's not a starter, but he can play a lot of positions, hit the ball a little, and brings energy to the team and clubhouse.

    I think Rosie will have a nice long career as a sub/spot starter, maybe a career very similar to Miguel Cairo's.

  13. #12
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,172

    Re: The Revenge of Adam Rosales?

    Soon to be a pumpkin again, that's my scouting report on Adam.

  14. #13
    Miami Redhawks Redhook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,257

    Re: The Revenge of Adam Rosales?

    No loss IMO. Neither was Denorfia. Below average players that can be easily replaced.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

    www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

  15. #14
    Brett William Moore Will M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Crescent Springs KY
    Posts
    3,661

    Re: The Revenge of Adam Rosales?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    No loss IMO. Neither was Denorfia. Below average players that can be easily replaced.
    then why is Cairo on the roster?

    honestly, the team seems to have problems finding replacement level players for their bench. added to this is all the players the team has GIVEN away in recent years: Cody Ross, Cantu, Roslaes, Kep to name a few.
    .

  16. #15
    Tired of talk. Win! Joseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Commonwealth
    Posts
    8,387

    Re: The Revenge of Adam Rosales?

    With so many problems on this team is the 23rd, 24th, or 25th guy [which he would have been] really something to get worked up about? Methinks not.

    Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25