Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Revenge of Adam Rosales?

The Revenge of Adam Rosales?

He's looking like, well, a viable major league starter with the A's this year. Small sample size? Maybe. Titanic Reds front office miscalculation? Also maybe. Too early to tell either way, but here's what CBS Sportsline has to say about him:

Oakland INF Adam Rosales has been one of the bright spots for the Oakland A's in this injury-plagued season, reports MLB.com Saturday. Rosales, filling in for Mark Ellis, has been effective but is currently mired in a 2-for-16 slump entering Saturday's game. Still, he is batting .284 on the year. "He looks like a regular," Geren said. "He looks like an everyday player, he's playing great."
    (Updated 05/08/2010).
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Re: The Revenge of Adam Rosales?

At least the Reds don't have Willy.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

His K-rate is up 50%, his W-rate is down 50%, his BABIP is up 50% and his HR/FB rate is up 200%.

His LD-rate is 36.1%. His ISO is the same. His OBA is up 3%.

And yet his OPS is only .692.

He has lucked his way into being a marginal player.

Stats suggest he is actually worse than last year.

Rosales is a guy who has always taken time to adjust to a new level. Last year we were seeing that adjustment period and I'd guess the spoardic PT may mean its not over. I don't think he's a regular, but he'll be a quality bench player for many years IMO. I'm guessing that in 2025 we'll look back and won't see much difference in the careers of Adam Rosales, Chris Valaika and Todd Frazier. A smart team would have kept Rosales around while cashing in on Frazier while his value was high. Frazier will be a pretty good supersub IMO, I just wonder if he could have been parlayed into more as opposed to selling low on Rosales and getting basically nothing.

Dealing Rosales isn't crippling, but its another unfavorable consequence of ill-advised signings like that of Willy Taveras.
    Last edited by mth123; 05-09-2010 at 09:46 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Rosales is a guy who has always taken time to adjust to a new level. Last year we were seeing that adjustment period and I'd guess the spoardic PT may mean its not over. I don't think he's a regular, but he'll be a quality bench player for many years IMO. I'm guessing that in 2025 we'll look back and won't see much difference in the careers of Adam Rosales, Chris Valaika and Todd Frazier. A smart team would have kept Rosales around while cashing in on Frazier while his value was high. Frazier will be a pretty good supersub IMO, I just wonder if he could have been parlayed into more as opposed to selling low on Rosales and getting basically nothing.

Dealing Rosales isn't crippling, but its another unfavorable consequence of ill-advised signings like that of Willy Taveras.

You've really gone out on an RZ ledge here, comparing Rosales to the much loved Frazier! I don't quite agree with you but I do think Rosales has a chance to become a productive backup player.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    You've really gone out on an RZ ledge here, comparing Rosales to the much loved Frazier! I don't quite agree with you but I do think Rosales has a chance to become a productive backup player.
    I think all three are guys who won't have enough bat for any position that they could play regularly on defense. But all three are versatile enough to play a lot at a lot of different spots and provide a .750 to .775 OPS.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think all three are guys who won't have enough bat for any position that they could play regularly on defense. But all three are versatile enough to play a lot at a lot of different spots and provide a .750 to .775 OPS.
    With this I agree 100%.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    At least the Reds don't have Willy.
    Wasn't the difference between Willie T's bad contract and Aaron Miles' bad contract about a million?

That's the value the Reds placed on Rosales (for good or bad): $1 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Wasn't the difference between Willie T's bad contract and Aaron Miles' bad contract about a million?

That's the value the Reds placed on Rosales (for good or bad): $1 million.
    Yep. The Reds basically sold Rosales to the A's. I'd rather have Rosales than Cairo to be sure, but it's nothing to get worked up about.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Rosales isn't a starter, but I'd much rather him on the bench than Miguel Cairo.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Rosales isn't a starter, but I'd much rather him on the bench than Miguel Cairo.
    Me too, and if I'm the Reds, I'd fork over $1 million dollars to get him.

As you say, he's not a starter, but he can play a lot of positions, hit the ball a little, and brings energy to the team and clubhouse.

I think Rosie will have a nice long career as a sub/spot starter, maybe a career very similar to Miguel Cairo's.

Soon to be a pumpkin again, that's my scouting report on Adam.

No loss IMO. Neither was Denorfia. Below average players that can be easily replaced.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    No loss IMO. Neither was Denorfia. Below average players that can be easily replaced.
    then why is Cairo on the roster?

honestly, the team seems to have problems finding replacement level players for their bench. added to this is all the players the team has GIVEN away in recent years: Cody Ross, Cantu, Roslaes, Kep to name a few.

With so many problems on this team is the 23rd, 24th, or 25th guy [which he would have been] really something to get worked up about? Methinks not.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Turn Off Ads?