Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here affected by the oil spill in the Gulf, yet; or,...

Anyone here affected by the oil spill in the Gulf, yet; or,...

...do you see yourself being effected by it over the next 12 months?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Anyone here effected by the oil spill in the Gulf, yet; or,...

Also, anyone here effected by the many floods that have occurred over the last two months?

Re: Anyone here effected by the oil spill in the Gulf, yet; or,...

Only indirectly. I'm in SC and there is some talk about how this could help the SC tax base which is heavily dependent on tourism. If enough people divert to the East Coast during vacation season, it could help to refill some of the utter black hole that is the budget this year. Can't say I'd like it to happen that way though.

Re: Anyone here affected by the oil spill in the Gulf, yet; or,...

I hesitate to put my two cents into this discussion, because what I have at stake is so trivial compared to others, but we have a deposit down on a condo for next month. This will be the first time my wife and kids and I will have ever been to Florida together, so we're kinda bummed about the potential for the vacation being tanked. Given the difficulty, expense, and overall hassle of canceling those plans and trying to arrange something on the east coast, I guess we'll just go on down and make the best of it, unless they actually close the beaches.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Spazzrico and macro, these are the things I'm interested in. These are real stories that you don't get from CNN or whatever.

I personally think the economic impact alone of this will be ten-fold to what Katrina was to the United States. The environmental impact will by 10,000-fold to what any disaster was that the United States has had.

Hopefully, Spazzrico (sure you can't get another name?), the oil impact doesn't wrap itself around Florida and move up along the South Carolina shoreline.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Could have a huge impact on the fisheries, which could drive prices way up for seafood. A lot of shrimp comes out of that area.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

Cincinnati's premiere expedited trucking company

I saw today that some guy in Florida said that hay will soak up the oil spills.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I know people who have donated their hair.

Seriously.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I know people who have donated their hair.

Seriously.
    I heard about that too. Whatever works.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It's so horrible.

Many of the islands in the Pacific already have beaches full of plastic pieces that look like white sand even if you're looking at it from just 50 yards away. But, it's nothing but broken up bits and pieces of plastic.

There's so much plastic pollution already in the ocean, it's probably our biggest environmental hazard from here on out, surpassing the problems of the fading ozone. Is this considered political, or can we talk about the declining health of our Earth here?

The plastic has already entered our food chain. Now, this oil will, too.

I sent in a resume (to a cleanup company) to go help clean up the spill, but I haven't heard back from them (they said on their website that they were inundated with requests and that they aren't taking any more applications).

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Spazzrico and macro, these are the things I'm interested in. These are real stories that you don't get from CNN or whatever.

I personally think the economic impact alone of this will be ten-fold to what Katrina was to the United States. The environmental impact will by 10,000-fold to what any disaster was that the United States has had.

Hopefully, Spazzrico (sure you can't get another name?), the oil impact doesn't wrap itself around Florida and move up along the South Carolina shoreline.
    No new name for me....part of the identity now......nickname given to me by some girls in gradeschool. I had to own it to make the pain go away

And seconded on the seafood prices. Again, could be great for the Atlantic fisheries/shrimpers. No doubt prices would rise, but it would also mean more reliance on foreign fishers, many of whom use various dubious envirnomental practices (I'm looking at you southeast Asian shrimp farms and your mangrove destruction).

This has been very hard for me to watch personally due to my own beliefs on drilling that simply have to change. Despite my lefty environmentalist nature, I have been something of a proponent of offshore drilling, but mostly because I am so worried about peak oil and a need to bridge the gap until we can create enough alternatives/change consumption patterns. Now I'm unfortunately seeing the result of what happens in the worst case scenario. NOT GOOD. Now what am I to think about Nuclear power?

If anything I just hope this drives the race to alternatives much more furiously.

We are "days maybe weeks" from getting the oil spill in area. They are already preparing barriers to try and protect the white beaches from getting, well, to be not white.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Spazzrico View Post
    Now what am I to think about Nuclear power?

If anything I just hope this drives the race to alternatives much more furiously.
    Well, a nuclear disaster means the area remains uninhabitable for maybe 150-250 years. That spot of the Earth just becomes a Dead Zone.

An oil disaster of this magnitude puts oil into the food chain, and eventually in our bodies. The economic impact cleans up in about 10-40 years, depending upon each area's situation.

There's just going to be potential for disasters when trying to harness energy, per the nature of "energy".

What's mindboggling to me is anyone's aversion to hydroelectric power when you compare it to alternatives for harnessing energy.

The ocean currents (in addition to the river currents) offer one of the safest and long-term energy-harnessing systems for our planet. Combined with solar and wind, it just has to get moving.

There's less than 40 years left of the oil supply in the world (capable of being extracted). We've long ago gone past the time for change. 10 years from now nobody will see gasoline prices for less than $10/gallon, and 20 years from now it will be $50/gallon. 20 years from now, nobody will be allowed to own a gas-powered vehicle, at least not in this country and European Countries (and Canada).

Electric vehicles were around more than 75 years ago. The technology has always been there. But, that electric power has to come from some other source, and the best choices are dams right now, followed by improvements to wind, ocean currents, and then solar.

Vegetable oil and stuff like that are a joke. It costs more energy to produce it than it makes (on a mass scale as an energy-harnessing alternative). Don't let some ill-informed hippie tell you otherwise. Taking the "waste" from restaurants is different, but it's barely a drop in the bucket when it comes to helping out the energy problem. But, help it does.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-11-2010 at 05:21 PM.

That is really bad, Puffy. Keep us updated, please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=did-S6XbpMM

It maybe a lot worse than what's been reported so far.

Turn Off Ads?