Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Hanigan statistic

Ryan Hanigan statistic

What has gotten into him? He's completely different this year than he was last year with RISP.

Check out this statistic..Hanigan is 2nd in the Majors with batting average on an 0-2 count behind Manny Ramirez and ahead of Adrian Beltre. I don't have his exact average because I read this stat on a tweet:

@GordonEdes Beltre entered the game leading the AL in 2-strike hitting with a .347 average, and 3d in MLB behind Ryan Hanigan of reds and one M. Ramirez.

Keep up the great work Ryan! I also think he has more RBi than he did all of last year.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Ryan Hanigan statistic

Right now, Ryan is the most improved Red of this season, with Jay Bruce close behind.

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

Good job Ryan. Earning yourself some more playing time.
    "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball." - Serrano. "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Harris in Major League (1989)

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    What has gotten into him? He's completely different this year than he was last year with RISP.

Check out this statistic..Hanigan is 2nd in the Majors with batting average on an 0-2 count behind Manny Ramirez and ahead of Adrian Beltre. I don't have his exact average because I read this stat on a tweet:

@GordonEdes Beltre entered the game leading the AL in 2-strike hitting with a .347 average, and 3d in MLB behind Ryan Hanigan of reds and one M. Ramirez.

Keep up the great work Ryan! I also think he has more RBi than he did all of last year.
    Nothing has really gotten into him. He simply didnt have many RBI chances last year. He didnt hit amazing in the ones he had but still he was only a 5 for 5 from being a .250 hitter with RISP last year.

The sample size is so small a hot streak at the right time can blow the numbers apart.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Nothing has really gotten into him. He simply didnt have many RBI chances last year. He didnt hit amazing in the ones he had but still he was only a 5 for 5 from being a .250 hitter with RISP last year.

The sample size is so small a hot streak at the right time can blow the numbers apart.
    Last year though he didn't have a ton of chances, he was just abysmal when he did. This year he is money in the bank. Now I agree he is on a hot streak cause nobody can hit .636 with RISP and .800 with RISP and 2 outs. But I think to even be on a hot streak of that caliber for this long into the season he has to be much improved, not so much from a physical standpoint, but from a mental standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Last year though he didn't have a ton of chances, he was just abysmal when he did. This year he is money in the bank. Now I agree he is on a hot streak cause nobody can hit .636 with RISP and .800 with RISP and 2 outs. But I think to even be on a hot streak of that caliber for this long into the season he has to be much improved, not so much from a physical standpoint, but from a mental standpoint.
    Really its as easy as saying he is on a hot streak and last year he wasnt.

It really is as simple as that in most cases. When you are dealing with 50 PA you shouldnt really be surprised if the next 50 PA show complete opposite results.

Hes had 11 ABs 19 PA this year with RISP. Really hes been excelling but it doesnt show anything other than he has hit better in those situations than he did last year. He could still go back to .180 or last year he could have ended at .350 if given more chances. The margin of change in the numbers is as little at 10 PA.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Really its as easy as saying he is on a hot streak and last year he wasnt.

It really is as simple as that in most cases. When you are dealing with 50 PA you shouldnt really be surprised if the next 50 PA show complete opposite results.

Hes had 11 ABs 19 PA this year with RISP. Really hes been excelling but it doesnt show anything other than he has hit better in those situations than he did last year. He could still go back to .180 or last year he could have ended at .350 if given more chances. The margin of change in the numbers is as little at 10 PA.
    I am agreeing it's a hot streak, but I think it is a combination of a hot streak and him taking a better mental approach to the plate with RISP, and having more confidence in himself as well.

It's ridiculous that Ramon Hernandez gets as many starts as he does. Nothing against Ramon, but Hanigan has done nothing but prove his entire career that he's a good hitter (while always hitting from the worst hole in a lineup).

Hanigan deserves to start 5 of every 7 games like a real starting Catcher in his prime years, while batting higher in the lineup.

Hanigan only has about 2/3rd's as many at-bats as Junior, and Junior's in a platoon situation himself.

Baker's an idiot, plain and simple.

It's not a "hot streak" or a coincidence as some here suggest.

Hanigan's been clutch his whole career.

His career numbers:

RISP... 800 OPS.
    2 outs w/ RISP... 1.100 OPS.
    All of his at-bats when the game is tied (when what you do means the most)... .812 OPS.

The only reason he doesn't start as much or more than any Catcher in the Majors is because Dusty likes his veterans.

If he was being managed by LaRussa (a real manager), he'd have twice as many plate appearances this year right now, and never ever bat 8th.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    It's not a "hot streak" or a coincidence as some here suggest.

Hanigan's been clutch his whole career.

His career numbers:

RISP... 800 OPS.
    2 outs w/ RISP... 1.100 OPS.
    All of his at-bats when the game is tied (when what you do means the most)... .812 OPS.

The only reason he doesn't start as much or more than any Catcher in the Majors is because Dusty likes his veterans.

If he was being managed by LaRussa (a real manager), he'd have twice as many plate appearances this year right now, and never ever bat 8th.
    He is OPS'ing 1.932 with RISP and 2.875 with RISP/2out...that is a hot streak no matter who the player is.

Did you not watch the Ryan Hanigan who hit .165 and OPS'd .501 after the all star break last season? And had 3 RBI in 109 PA's, 2 off of HR's. He has not been clutch his whole career. He left many unanswered questions after the 2nd half of last season. He is answering many of those now, but it will still be seen if he can maintain a .750+ OPS through an entire season of catching.

Do you want to know what Ryan Hanigan's career OPS numbers with RISP and RISP/2out look like without this season's hot streak? Not even close to the numbers they are currently at.

Resident PED Expert

He is OPS'ing 1.932 with RISP and 2.875 with RISP/2out...that is a hot streak no matter who the player is.

Did you not watch the Ryan Hanigan who hit .165 and OPS'd .501 after the all star break last season? And had 3 RBI in 109 PA's, 2 off of HR's. He has not been clutch his whole career. He left many unanswered questions after the 2nd half of last season. He is answering many of those now, but it will still be seen if he can maintain a .750+ OPS through an entire season of catching.

Do you want to know what Ryan Hanigan's career OPS numbers with RISP and RISP/2out look like without this season's hot streak? Not even close to the numbers they are currently at.
    I believe those were his Minor League numbers and that is a much larger sample size than the last half of last year. He was a Rookie last year and wore down. No shame in that. Look at how a full season wore on G. Soto for the Cubs. But he is back to form this year after being more mentally and physically prepared. Dusty does like his veterans. I think he lacks the ability to go tell a player "sorry your on the decline and this young guy is better than you" See Griffey, Ken Jr., See Hattaberg, Scott, See Cabrera, Orlando... Did Dusty's career end because some young upstart took his job? Just Curious...
    Last edited by nemesis; 05-10-2010 at 07:59 PM.

That is a "hot streak' even for Babe Ruth or Lou Gehrig, true.

My intent was to suggest that Hanigan doing well w/ RISP is not unusual, but is expected based on his complete history, not on what he did for a few months last season.

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post

According to Hanigan what has just made him an overall better hitter is his work with Brook Jacoby. Jacoby had him drop his hands so he can get to the ball quicker and therefore wait longer before deciding to swing or not, he also put on some weight. In addition, I think probably getting off to a good start with RISP probably helped a lot. It is true that he was terrible last year with RISP, and even watching his at-bats he looked like a totally different hitter than he did in other at bats. He looks much more confindent with RISP this year but he looks like a better hitter. So it appears that Jacoby has at least helped one hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    I believe those were his Minor League numbers and that is a much larger sample size than the last half of last year. He was a Rookie last year and wore down. No shame in that. Look at how a full season wore on G. Soto for the Cubs. But he is back to form this year after being more mentally and physically prepared. Dusty does like his veterans. I think he lacks the ability to go tell a player "sorry your on the decline and this young guy is better than you" See Griffey, Ken Jr., See Hattaberg, Scott, See Cabrera, Orlando... Did Dusty's career end because some young upstart took his job? Just Curious...
    I couldn't find his minor league numbers w/RISP anywhere but those numbers previously given equated to his major league numbers. I am all aboard the Hanigan bandwagon, we all just need to step back and breathe a bit. If you didn't know any better you would think Hanigan was the 2nd coming of Johnny Bench and Ramon was hitting like Paul Bako.

What exactly do you want Dusty to do, Ramon has a .400 OBP, our catching platoon is Stellar right now. If anything give Dusty props because our catching situation is one of the best in the league outside of ATL, MIN, BAL, and Soto in Chicago, with what appeared to be 2 very league average catchers coming into the season.

I couldn't find his minor league numbers w/RISP anywhere but those numbers previously given equated to his major league numbers. I am all aboard the Hanigan bandwagon, we all just need to step back and breathe a bit. If you didn't know any better you would think Hanigan was the 2nd coming of Johnny Bench and Ramon was hitting like Paul Bako.

What exactly do you want Dusty to do, Ramon has a .400 OBP, our catching platoon is Stellar right now. If anything give Dusty props because our catching situation is one of the best in the league outside of ATL, MIN, BAL, and Soto in Chicago, with what appeared to be 2 very league average catchers coming into the season.
    I don't see Hanigan as League Average. I never have. That's why I don't like him being treated like a sub (getting 2/5th's of the opportunity to Hernandez' 3/5th's playing time).

I also like Hernandez. I wanted to see it reversed going into the season...3/5th's for Hanigan and 2/5th's for Ramon. And, if one of them was hot, then I'd reverse it for a while, and go up to 2/3rd's to 1/3rd.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-10-2010 at 08:35 PM.

Turn Off Ads?