Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Leadoff is still a problem

Leadoff is still a problem

Reds leadoff hitters to date: .172 .241 .250 .491

oy flippin vey

Cabrera in the leadoff spot: .357 .357 .357 .714

better, but it's just three games so far.

But this year the Reds have leadoff man has made an out 76% of the time. That is beyond unacceptable. Dusty knows this, hence the change. The question is does Walt? Now I'm sure he does, but there seems to be no replacement in house.

Or is there? We've debated the lineup ad nauseum, And my opinion of Janish over Cabrera at SS stands, so who does that leave? I'd be loathe to move BP, as he seems to have found a groove hitting in front of Votto. Bruce is killing it at #5. And not even I could bat Hanigan leadoff. Heisey, from all reports has been a deer in headlights, Janish is a #8 hitter until he proves otherwise. So what to do?

Seems simple in a crazy way. And I am only half serious here, but send down Heisey, DFA Nix and bring up Francisco and Balentein. Bat JF leadoff. No he doesn't walk, we know that, but he does have a knack for putting the bat on the ball. He can hit for average, and he has a ton of power. And the way 2-5 are hitting, you don't want to dance around him and put him on, so the opposing pitcher will have to challenge him.

Look, it probably wouldn't work, but, at least it is interesting.
    Suck it up cupcake.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Re: Leadoff is still a problem

JMO but JF can't hit for average either.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    JMO but JF can't hit for average either.
    He did this week.

He's on the 40 man. He's already been optioned, so it doesn't hurt. And I'm not saying today, as even I think Cabrera (who should be on the bench) will get more than 3 games. But 2-3 weeks from now, why not?
    Suck it up cupcake.

Make lineups that have the best hitters getting the most PAs.

The Reds have options, they just can't break tradition.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post

Personally, I don't want Votto leading off. Hanigan is too much of an unknown, and BP is streaky with very wide splits.

So, who would you lead off?
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Personally, I don't want Votto leading off. Hanigan is too much of an unknown, and BP is streaky with very wide splits.

So, who would you lead off?
    It almost has to be Cabrera by default at this point.

The Reds have nobody close to being ready for the majors that is going to solve the leadoff problem either.

And batting Votto leadoff would be amazingly dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

The Reds have nobody close to being ready for the majors that is going to solve the leadoff problem either.

And the fact that on the 25 man roster it HAS to be Cabrera just depresses me as we KNOW how bad a defender he is now. This team's leadoff hitter is not on the 25 man roster yet, and he plays LF.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post

The tradition of suck?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

"Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Agree on all points.

No offense, TRF, but JF at the leadoff spot is a worse idea than batting nearly anyone else on this ballclub there.

It's either OCAB or Phillips. Janish isn't going to play, we all know that. OCAB's production at the plate has overshadowed his lack of defensive prowess IMO. Furthmore, Phillips and OCAB have essentially the same skill set at the plate. There interchangeable at 1 & 2. OCAB's OBP may be Hit driven but it has been effective thus far.

The Reds offense has scored 7, 14, and 5 runs with OCAB leading off. Obviously, the CUBS BP is dreck, but moving forward the lineup change seems promising.

My advice TRF is to take a deep breath. Realize your Reds are playing good baseball, and let it be.

My first instict is NO!!!! Hence the Avatar. But he is putting up solid numbers.

However, you can't push Cairo off the roster since there is only one other backup IF. (Janish)

That leaves Heisey as the odd man out. Send him down. Split playing time with McDonald and Stubbs.

I still don't like McDee though. Something about career minor leaguers starting on a half-regular basis bothers me.

a .673 OPS overshadows defensive suckitude? I didn't want Cabrera when he was rumored to be going to Cincinnati. I get why he's there, but his offense blows.

And I think the OF is in disarray. Stubbs is fine, better than fine defensively, but he has yet to find anything resembling a bat. LF is, in my opinion, well, awful.

Of course JF is a bad choice to lead off, but he's currently knocking hard on the MLB door. His OPS after the freakish week he just had sits at .798. I think he's found his bat. Maybe the leadoff hitter is Balentein. Maybe he's not in the organization yet, but I'm betting that lead off hitter is a LF, because I'm betting Cabrera is a day or two away from becoming a pumpkin. again.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    a .673 OPS overshadows defensive suckitude? I didn't want Cabrera when he was rumored to be going to Cincinnati. I get why he's there, but his offense blows.

And I think the OF is in disarray. Stubbs is fine, better than fine defensively, but he has yet to find anything resembling a bat. LF is, in my opinion, well, awful.

Of course JF is a bad choice to lead off, but he's currently knocking hard on the MLB door. His OPS after the freakish week he just had sits at .798. I think he's found his bat. Maybe the leadoff hitter is Balentein. Maybe he's not in the organization yet, but I'm betting that lead off hitter is a LF, because I'm betting Cabrera is a day or two away from becoming a pumpkin. again.
    I'll bet you two Redszone cents, his OPS will be .700 or better by years end.

It's obvious you don't like OC's game. Thats fine. I can respect that. His range is abysmal for a ML shortstop. However, he is a leader. Something that doesn't show up on Fangraphs. If you've played sports, you know that can be very important to a mostly young team. He hits enough for me.

Francisco is actually an interersting idea at leadoff. It's out of the box, at least. He'd see a lot of fastballs there. Sort of the Alfonso Soriano effect.

Francisco is actually an interersting idea at leadoff. It's out of the box, at least. He'd see a lot of fastballs there. Sort of the Alfonso Soriano effect.
    I'd rather see Dusty leading off.

Turn Off Ads?