Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Monday, May 10th, Minor League Updates

Re: Monday, May 10th, Minor League Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Don't forget that Mesoraco was ready to move up a level defensively, but they kept him down here so that he could experience some positive long-term Offensive timing with his bat. He was ahead of his level physically, so it's not unexpected that he'd have this success. The REDS were expecting good Offense from him (though probably closer to an .820-.840 OPS), but Mesoraco's even done better than that.

He's not the #2 prospect at this time by any means. He's still got to go through the entire AA level from beginning to end both defensively (as a Catcher, the toughest level for a Catcher) and Offensively.

It's kind of a given that Mesoraco is going to be a hitter. With him, it's all about which position will he play.
    Disagree.

Don't get me wrong, I love what Mez has done so far this year. But to say that it's a given that he is going to be a hitter, possibly without a position, is insane. The guy still has a career .711 OPS, and has yet to see a pitch above A ball. I hope that he continues to hit like he has this year, especially once he is promoted. But I have doubts whether his bat will ever be strong enough to play any position other than catcher, and I have even stronger doubts that anyone sees him as anything other than a catcher.

That said, keep up the good work Mez. Hopefully you'll see a promotion by the Break.
    Last edited by Benihana; 05-11-2010 at 12:03 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Anyone want to claim Mesoraco as the #2 prospect in the org. yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    If he finishes the year out at a .900+ OPS he is the #1 prospect in the Organization. Probably a Top 100 in Baseball.
    Only if he plays at least half of the year in AA (and maintains a .900+ OPS) then maybe you could start having this discussion. The kid has had a great month, there is no doubt about it, but let's not get carried away. He is repeating a level (high A) for the second straight year, while the guy drafted immediately before him is hitting bombs on a daily basis in the major leagues. One thing I will give you, is that he's got to be higher than #30 in the organization at this point.

And I sincerely hope that the #1 prospect in the organization will always be at least a Top 100 in Baseball. Otherwise, there are serious problems on the farm.
    Last edited by Benihana; 05-11-2010 at 12:07 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Haven't the defensive issues been pretty much put to bed? I've only heard good things about Mesoraco behind the plate since he left Dayton. It's good to see him finally putting up some numbers he can be proud of, but I'd like to see what he can do in Carolina pretty soon.

Bats won 7-6

Valaika 2 for 3 with a walk - hitting .358 now

I'd like to see the Reds DFA Miguel Cairo and call up Valaika.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I'd like to see the Reds DFA Miguel Cairo and call up Valaika.
    I dont really see the point its not like they would ever play him. Cairo and Janish both get zero playing time as it is. Do you see ABs for Valaika anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I dont really see the point its not like they would ever play him. Cairo and Janish both get zero playing time as it is. Do you see ABs for Valaika anywhere?
    I'd play him at 3B and 2B when Phillips or Rolen need a day off.

After his four hit night, including a double and a triple, Devin Mesoraco is now hitting .333/.427/.613 - 1.040 OPS with six doubles, one triple, and six home runs in 93 atbats. Also has a very solid 13 BB/16 K ratio and is 2-for-2 in stolen base attempts. He's not going to continue OPSing over 1.000 but if he ends the season with an OPS around .900, he'll probably not only jump into the top 100 prospect lists, but maybe even the top 50.

I'd play him at 3B and 2B when Phillips or Rolen need a day off.
    Phillips hardly ever needs a day off though. Maybe they should give Valaika some starts at 1st then I could easily see them bringing him north. Cairo wont leave the roster until they come up with another 1st baseman, as stupid as it is.

Valaika probbably makes the team better but given how little Cairo already plays I really doubt it matters all that much. Janish and Cairo are basically just collecting checks although Id like to see Janish more than 1 start a month.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Only if he plays at least half of the year in AA (and maintains a .900+ OPS) then maybe you could start having this discussion. The kid has had a great month, there is no doubt about it, but let's not get carried away. He is repeating a level (high A) for the second straight year, while the guy drafted immediately before him is hitting bombs on a daily basis in the major leagues. One thing I will give you, is that he's got to be higher than #30 in the organization at this point.

And I sincerely hope that the #1 prospect in the organization will always be at least a Top 100 in Baseball. Otherwise, there are serious problems on the farm.
    I should have put that in my post. Agreed. He needs to continue his hitting after his, at this point, given promotion to AA to qualify as the organizations #1. I could see BA not giving him any props after this year if he continues to put up numbers. They have been hard on him as have alot of us, myself included. With the development of Hanigan at the ML level, Corky in AAA and Denove who is Hanigan II in AA he can deveolp at his own pace without the pressure of need at the Big League Level at this point.

After his four hit night, including a double and a triple, Devin Mesoraco is now hitting .333/.427/.613 - 1.040 OPS with six doubles, one triple, and six home runs in 93 atbats. Also has a very solid 13 BB/16 K ratio and is 2-for-2 in stolen base attempts. He's not going to continue OPSing over 1.000 but if he ends the season with an OPS around .900, he'll probably not only jump into the top 100 prospect lists, but maybe even the top 50.
    If he does it at AA then I totally agree. If hes OPS around .900 in AA hes probably a top 10 guy as crazy as that sounds just because of his position. Then again im basing that off nothing really .

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Haven't the defensive issues been pretty much put to bed? I've only heard good things about Mesoraco behind the plate since he left Dayton. It's good to see him finally putting up some numbers he can be proud of, but I'd like to see what he can do in Carolina pretty soon.
    Not entirely. He has at least 7 passed balls in like 20 games behind the plate. Still alot of work to do...

By the way, Yonder Alonso started in left field tonight and went 1-for-3 with two walks. I guess they haven't ended the LF experiment. Good. I'd keep running him out there every night.

Matt Klinker pitched another good game tonight for Carolina: 6 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 K. His 2010 season stats: 41.1 IP, 35 H, 1 HR, 7 BB, 43 K, 2.18 ERA. Please promote him to Louisville where he belongs.

Resident PED Expert

Matt Klinker pitched another good game tonight for Carolina: 6 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 K. His 2010 season stats: 41.1 IP, 35 H, 1 HR, 7 BB, 43 K, 2.18 ERA. Please promote him to Louisville where he belongs.
    DFA Cairo and Adkins would start the chain of events nicely. Add Castillo to the 40 Man again and promote him as a Defensive replacement / Pinch Runner Deluxe. Which would allow Dusty to Pinch Run for his Catchers without the worry of injury leaving him without. Lehr to the bullpen Klinker and Denove Up - Mesorasco Up - Burton to Carolina to begin rehab and Coddington to Lynchburg.

Turn Off Ads?