Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Monday, May 10th, Minor League Updates

Re: Monday, May 10th, Minor League Updates

If hes OPS around .900 in AA hes probably a top 10 guy as crazy as that sounds just because of his position. Then again im basing that off nothing really
    I've kind of lost track of other organizations prospects, but I do know that 21 year old catchers who OPS .900+ at AA don't show up a whole lot. It's obviously way too early to say whether or not he can do that, but I can't imagine a world where's he's not an elite elite prospect if he does.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    DFA Cairo and Adkins would start the chain of events nicely. Add Castillo to the 40 Man again and promote him as a Defensive replacement / Pinch Runner Deluxe. Which would allow Dusty to Pinch Run for his Catchers without the worry of injury leaving him without. Lehr to the bullpen Klinker and Denove Up - Mesorasco Up - Burton to Carolina to begin rehab and Coddington to Lynchburg.
    Sounds like a game plan to me. Castillo isn't setting the world on fire in AAA, but he's versatile, switch-hitting and can occasionally stroke an extra base hit, so he would be an improvement over Cairo on our bench. And promoting him would free the logjam so the other catchers -- Denove, Mesoraco and Coddington -- can be more properly slotted and playing at levels commensurate with their talent.

I didn't mind the Reds taking another shot on Adkins upon his return from overseas, but after his lackluster pitching in spring training and as Louisville's closer -- 6.00 ERA and only 6 Ks in 12 innings -- it's time to close the book on that little experiment.

The Bats have the second best team ERA (3.65) in the International League and a mid-pack OPS of .731. Their starting pitchers are 10-10. Yet the team remains mired in last place in their division, as the bullpen collectively is sporting a 2-10 record. Adkins isn't the only reliever who has struggled, but having him take the fall is fair. He got a chance to make a comeback and just hasn't seized the opportunity.

Who would become the new closer for the Bats? As much as he bombed in his MLB debut, it's really Ondrusek's rightful challenge -- ripe for his taking if he can continue to sustain the 0.87 ERA he's compiled in his six AAA relief appearances since his demotion. Jukich and Del Rosario also are showing promise in mid-relief roles, but probably ought to stay right where they are for now.

At what point does Valaika force his way into the majors? I understand that Janish isn't getting any playing time, but honestly I think Valaika is and will be a better hitter than Janish.

I understand the "young players need ABs everyday" argument, but Valaika isn't learning anything by murdering AAA pitching.

I'd DFA Cairo and send Heisey back to AAA and call up Valaika and Castillo. The reason that Cairo is still on the roster is because the Reds have no other backup 1st baseman. Calling up Castillo makes Hernandez the backup 1st baseman as well. Castillo can play LF if needed and Nix moves over as the backup CFer. I realize Castillo can't hit, but neither can Cairo or Heisey and at elast Castillo brings some speed and the ability to move Ramon around.

Then your bench looks like:
    Janish 3B/SS/2B
    Valaika 2B/SS
    Castillo C/LF
    Hanigan C (with means Hernandez is the backup 1B)
    Nix LF/CF/RF
    Last edited by reds44; 05-11-2010 at 02:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    DFA Cairo and Adkins would start the chain of events nicely. Add Castillo to the 40 Man again and promote him as a Defensive replacement / Pinch Runner Deluxe. Which would allow Dusty to Pinch Run for his Catchers without the worry of injury leaving him without. Lehr to the bullpen Klinker and Denove Up - Mesorasco Up - Burton to Carolina to begin rehab and Coddington to Lynchburg.
    By the way, I also concur with your idea of moving Lehr to the Louisville bullpen so Klinker can get a promotion from the Mudcats. Klinker should have opened the season with the Bats.

He didn't because he got lost in the roster shuffling to make room in AAA for Chapman and for Lehr after the Reds gave him a guaranteed contract over the winter. This stuff happens, so it's not the end of the world that Matt got temporarily reassigned.

But after Klinker's 2009 performance and his lights-out work so far this season at Carolina, the burden has now shifted from him to the Reds' management to rectify the situation. It's one thing if your teams are losing owing to a fundamental lack of in-house talent. It's another issue altogether when the losses are more attributable to faulty roster management.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Disagree.

Don't get me wrong, I love what Mez has done so far this year. But to say that it's a given that he is going to be a hitter, possibly without a position, is insane. The guy still has a career .711 OPS, and has yet to see a pitch above A ball. I hope that he continues to hit like he has this year, especially once he is promoted. But I have doubts whether his bat will ever be strong enough to play any position other than catcher, and I have even stronger doubts that anyone sees him as anything other than a catcher.

That said, keep up the good work Mez. Hopefully you'll see a promotion by the Break.
    I thought when I wrote that, I might get a disagreement. I'll just say that, to me, it's a given that he'll be a hitter in the Majors. I'm not endorsing him as a "starter", but someone who'll have 5+ years in the Majors in some form "at the minimum".

I think our Scouts did a fantastic job in picking him. It had to be done the old-fashioned way....gut feeling. Mesoraco had zero experience against top-notch talent to judge how effective he possibly could be. That's real scouting.

Because Mesoraco has progressed exactly as I thought he would based upon his lack of experience and the position they're trying him out for, I feel that he's shown enough in these years to warrant from me an assumed "he's going to hit in the Majors". Whether that's 2000, 4000, 6000 or 8000 Plate Appearances, I have no idea. But, I'm certain he'll reach at least the 2000 level. For comparisons, Laynce Nix won't ever reach 2000, but Johnny Gomes will (this year). Oddly, Miguel Cairo will get to 3800, when he never should have reached 800.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Matt Klinker pitched another good game tonight for Carolina: 6 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 K. His 2010 season stats: 41.1 IP, 35 H, 1 HR, 7 BB, 43 K, 2.18 ERA. Please promote him to Louisville where he belongs.
    Klinker and Mesoraco are probably about equal in the Organization prospect chart, I would think, with an edge possibly going to Klinker.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Cairo wont leave the roster until they come up with another 1st baseman, as stupid as it is.
    They just need to bring up that 3rd Catcher as Hernandez can be the #2/Emergency First Baseman.

Cairo should have been out of the Majors 10 years ago. It's only because he was on the horrible Devil Rays that he got a chance to play every day (and play horribly, he did). So, now he's got this "veteran" tag.

My wife and I attended a game last night that was a bit out of the usual. The game was held at the old Durham Athletic Park of Bull Durham fame. The Durham Bulls scheduled one game for the old park this year and we made it a point to be there. The DAP was the home of the Bulls for 55 years and they hadn't been back since they moved into the, then new, DBAP 16 years ago. The field was in excellent condition, beautiful. For old times sake I had a PBR and peanuts while at the park. The ticket was laminated for the purpose of keeping. No backs on the seats and no cupholders wasn't a lot of fun but other than that we had a really good evening. Prior to the singing of the national anthem they had four old bi-planes fly over. Another really nice touch.

The Bulls lost to the Mud Hens as far as the game was concerneed. Quite honestly though, last night it was all about the park.

That's pretty great that they played a nostalgia game there. I made a point to drive by a couple months ago when I was in town for some work. Not a bad place at all, but small. I'm not surprised they moved considering their following.

Turn Off Ads?