Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Fenway Thoughts

Rojo Johnson #99

Fenway Thoughts

Hey Everyone

I'm visiting Boston this week and I am fortunate enough to have a ticket to a Red Sox game. This is my first time going and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on what to see or do at the park. Maybe James Earl Jones and Kevin Costner will show up.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fenway Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Seņor Rojo View Post
    Hey Everyone

I'm visiting Boston this week and I am fortunate enough to have a ticket to a Red Sox game. This is my first time going and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on what to see or do at the park. Maybe James Earl Jones and Kevin Costner will show up.
    Watch your back before and after the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Seņor Rojo View Post
    Hey Everyone

Not much to see at Fenway other than the game. Some good bars nearby, though, for before and/or after.

Just enjoy it, my favorite stadium and baseball experience out there of the stadiums I have been to. I sat next to Marissa Tormme (sp?) the last time I went to Fenway. Get your peanuts outside the stadium before you go in, cheaper and better from what I recall.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

One rule of thumb for full enjoyment at Fenway.....something I learned in my first visit last year.

If you over ohhhh 6'2" and weigh over 250, be prepared to be VERY uncomfortable.....if your sitting between the foul poles.

The rows of seats are very close together and seats themselves very narrow.

Seats were probably designed on the average dimension of a person in 1912 when the field was built.

Spent a good part of the game with the arm rests grinding into me and my knee caps felt like they were in my eye sockets.

But other than that it was a great experience...seriously.

Would go back again, but this time would spring for the money for the Monster seats or in center field where the seats are newer and wider.

It's a dump. If any stadium needs to be demolished, Fenway is it. Have the wrecking ball start on that green monster.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    It's a dump. If any stadium needs to be demolished, Fenway is it. Have the wrecking ball start on that green monster.
    As someone who splits season tickets (I get nine games a year), I could not agree more. It's a great spot to see a game once. Maybe twice. If you go there regularly, it's just cramped, uncomfortable and old.

We were up there way back in 1992 to see the Tigers and Sox. We were fortunate enough to see The Rocket-roid...lose to Walt Terrell. We also Frankie Viola beat John Douherty (sp.).

I recall a vendor outside selling some awesome sausages...you could smell them cooking down the street. We stopped by both days before going in the park. I'd like to go back one day.
    Last edited by muddie; 05-11-2010 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    We were up there way back in 1992 to see the Tigers and Sox. We were fortunate enought to see The Rocket-roid...lose to Walt Terrel. We also Frankie Viola beat John Douherty (sp.).

I recall a vendor outside selling some awesome sausages...you could smell them cooking down the street. We stopped by both days before going in the park. I'd like to go back one day.
    The sausages are da bomb. And all the spices and sauces that you can put on top. Make sure to get one.

Other than that, the others are correct. I lived up there from '91-'93 and went to a few games. I actually enjoyed sitting in the outfield the best. But whatever special, nostalgic feeling I was supposed to have engulf me never happened.

buck3y3d

I just went to my first game at Fenway yesterday (I've lived about 2 blocks away for 4 years now). I would recommend getting there early to walk around, walk down Yawkee way, and experience the atmosphere. There are three bars right outside gate D. I prefer Boston Beer Works the best, but that's for the beer not the bar.

The park is small and as others have mentioned, cozy. If you get there early enough, you might be able to get up on top of the green monster. Otherwise, you're going to need to have a seat up there. It was an enjoyable experience, but not my favorite ball park (which may be a result of my dislike for the Red Sox).

I went in 2005 when the Reds were there.

Take the ballpark tour if you can. They have some amazing stuff that the average fan doesn't get to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlite Graham View Post
    One rule of thumb for full enjoyment at Fenway.....something I learned in my first visit last year.

If you over ohhhh 6'2" and weigh over 250, be prepared to be VERY uncomfortable.....if your sitting between the foul poles.

The rows of seats are very close together and seats themselves very narrow.

Seats were probably designed on the average dimension of a person in 1912 when the field was built.

Spent a good part of the game with the arm rests grinding into me and my knee caps felt like they were in my eye sockets.

But other than that it was a great experience...seriously.

Would go back again, but this time would spring for the money for the Monster seats or in center field where the seats are newer and wider.

I think someone that big is prob uncomfortable in most places they go, esp when heat and other peopl are invcolved. think how smaller people feel havin got sit next to someone squeezed in that tight. My football tix are next to a biggen, and he spills over into my seating area everygame, I hate it, all sweaty, smelly and all.
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Rojo Johnson #99

Thanks Guys

I went today and it was a great experience. What amazed me was the food selection in the ballpark. I had clam chowder at a baseball game, which may be considered sacrilegious, but I thought it was awesome. I also got one of those sausages after the game and it was fantastic.

The highlight was standing in the green monster. There are some great views from that section. Fenway definitely isn't your prototypical old ballpark. It looks like a factory from the outside. I've been to Wrigley too and that had a more baseball stadium feel to it. Overall, I enjoyed the experience, but nothing beats looking out in right field seeing barges and steamboats going up and down the Ohio.

Turn Off Ads?