Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Braden and Baseball's unwritten rules

Braden and Baseball's unwritten rules

This guy is getting no respect from his peers on the diamond.

First, in a game against the Yankees, Alex Rodriguez trashes him by walking on his mound when returning to first. Braden had to order him off the mound and the benches nearly emptied.

Then, yesterday in his perfect game against the Rays, Longoria tries to break up a no-hitter with a bunt.

What is it with this guy? Why doesn't he get any respect?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Re: Braden and Baseball's unwritten rules

I agree with you about walking on the mound, that is disrespectful. But I have have no problem with bunting to get on base (at least in this situation). It happened in the 5th, and the score I believe was like 1-0? bunting to get on and trying to start something is a good baseball play, not against any rules.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    I agree with you about walking on the mound, that is disrespectful. But I have have no problem with bunting to get on base (at least in this situation). It happened in the 5th, and the score I believe was like 1-0? bunting to get on and trying to start something is a good baseball play, not against any rules.
    I agree. It would be different if they were winning by 4 or more runs and it was the 8th or 9th inning. But it was the 5th inning. Nobody is thinking no-hitter at that point. He's just trying to get something going.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    This guy is getting no respect from his peers on the diamond.

First, in a game against the Yankees, Alex Rodriguez trashes him by walking on his mound when returning to first. Braden had to order him off the mound and the benches nearly emptied.

Then, yesterday in his perfect game against the Rays, Longoria tries to break up a no-hitter with a bunt.

What is it with this guy? Why doesn't he get any respect?
    Not sure if this thread was meant sarcastically or not...but if it wasn't there is no problem with Longoria doing that. I think it was still relatively early in the game also. You play to win and to score you gotta get on base anyway possible.

I've heard a lot of people give Longoria grief for trying to bunt, but I also have no problem with it. At that point you're still trying to win a game. If it was 8 - 0 in the 9th, and the ONLY reason you were bunting was to break up the no-no I could see it. But as long as the game is in reach you need to do whatever it takes to win the game.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

I think the score was 4-0 at the time, but it was only the 5th inning. As Joe Madden said - that's an unwritten rule he doesn't embrace. Nothing wrong with what Longoria did in that situation while the Rays were still very much in the ballgame.

Really, I think it's merely a coincidence rather than players disrespecting Braden.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

Nothing wrong with the other team trying to win. That's what makes a perfect game so special.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Well, he doesn't get any respect because he's a doof.

Also, if it was anyone other than Longoria, I'd say they were just trying to get something started. But it's EVAN LONGORIA. It's like if Votto laid one down. Why should that ever happen? Do you know how Longoria "gets things started"? By hitting tape-measure home runs. I think, because everyone in the game now knows Braden is a doof, this was meant to be something of a provoking thing to push his buttons.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
    Well, he doesn't get any respect because he's a doof.

Also, if it was anyone other than Longoria, I'd say they were just trying to get something started. But it's EVAN LONGORIA. It's like if Votto laid one down. Why should that ever happen? Do you know how Longoria "gets things started"? By hitting tape-measure home runs. I think, because everyone in the game now knows Braden is a doof, this was meant to be something of a provoking thing to push his buttons.
    Still the 5th inning. Do what you can, even if it means rattling the pitcher.

Half the time a no-hitter is being pitched......I don't even realize it until about the 7th inning anyway.

Well, he may be a doof, but it isn't working. After Rofriguez's stunt he shut the Yankees down. After Longoria's he shut them down too.

Turn Off Ads?