Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on David Sappelt

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thoughts on David Sappelt

My wife is from Buffalo so I have tried to follow Sappelt since he became a Red. I was curious to hear the thoughts of some of you all who follow the minor league players very closely. So what are the thoughts on Sappelt in terms of tools, major league future and if there is a comparable major league player. Thanks.

Re: Thoughts on David Sappelt

I like Sappelt, some dont. He reminds me of Billy Hatcher, fast, scrappy with a little power

Underrated prospect. I like icehole's Hatcher comparison.

The word has been that he is a tremendous defensive outfielder, covering a lot of ground. The rap has been that, while fast, he's a reckless and unpolished baserunner, lacking in judgment and fundamentals. His hitting seems to be somewhere in the middle--possibly on the plus side, I'd say. It does seem that he's making fairly swift progress through the system.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I think Sappelt is at least a 4th outfielder type because of his defense. For someone with his speed, he is a poor base runner. At the plate, he isn't much of a power guy at all. I could see him slugging .400, but I wouldn't expect much more than that. Maybe a .275/.325/.400 type of hitter if he continues to progress. The defense is legit though.

Ryan Freel without the pop or polish at the plate. Only smaller.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your insight.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I think Sappelt is at least a 4th outfielder type because of his defense. For someone with his speed, he is a poor base runner. At the plate, he isn't much of a power guy at all. I could see him slugging .400, but I wouldn't expect much more than that. Maybe a .275/.325/.400 type of hitter if he continues to progress. The defense is legit though.
    You're getting there Doug!!!! I really like Sappelt. He went to college in my state and I always heard good things about him. He was a player of the year in college in his conference. I've heard accounts by players that he has a wicked swing, which hasn't completely translated to the minors yet. He has great speed and great defense. I liked the Billy Hatcher comparison and didn't think much of the Ryan Freel lite comparison. By the way...he did homer last night!!!

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I'm intrigued by Sappelt. His numbers kind of remind me of Chris Dickerson. In fact, that wouldn't be a bad ceiling comp for his future.

Right now I would have to think that he's got to be one of the top OF prospects in the Reds system. Considering Alonso and Francisco are not true OF'er's and Dorn is getting up there in age, and Heisey and Stubbs are already with the big club, Sappelt might just be the #1 true OF prospect (before the draft and signing of Perez) in the entire system.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I'm intrigued by Sappelt. His numbers kind of remind me of Chris Dickerson. In fact, that wouldn't be a bad ceiling comp for his future.

Right now I would have to think that he's got to be one of the top OF prospects in the Reds system. Considering Alonso and Francisco are not true OF'er's and Dorn is getting up there in age, and Heisey and Stubbs are already with the big club, Sappelt might just be the #1 true OF prospect (before the draft and signing of Perez) in the entire system.
    There is some truth in that. He is probably in the top five or so, but that also points to this team's reluctance to draft true corner OF (other that Bruce) dating back to Dunn & Kearns - which has been about 10 years now I believe. Not just premium picks either - throughout the draft.

This teams drafts boat loads of CFs and 4th/5th OF-types, but not much in the way of power potential. Pants' love for five toolers was legendary and ridiculous, but there's the other extreme too. We've seen that from the Reds recently and with Bruce's struggles, they may be set to start paying for it.

I believe the Reds need at least one corner OF bat with Plus power potential in each draft and a premium pick (at least the the top 5 or 6 rounds) every three years.

Sappelt might just be the #1 true OF prospect (before the draft and signing of Perez) in the entire system.
    Yorman.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Yorman.
    Duran
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Yorman.
    Oh yes, I forgot about him.

I started this thread earlier this year because I have been following this guy since the reds drafted him and have been very impressed with him. Just curious if now a few months later and with what we have seen from Sappelt if anyone has any more thoughts on him.

Quote Originally Posted by kfm View Post
    I started this thread earlier this year because I have been following this guy since the reds drafted him and have been very impressed with him. Just curious if now a few months later and with what we have seen from Sappelt if anyone has any more thoughts on him.
    Easy enough to say the guy is ripping it with the bat. If you check the Southern League's batting averages this guy has been at, or on top a lot lately.

I wish the guy was a tad bigger but he can't do anything about that. That is my only question mark about the guy.

Question for you: His bio says he was born in Graham, NC. Yet I read that he is a native of Buffalo. How can both be true?
    Last edited by muddie; 07-31-2010 at 07:26 PM.

Turn Off Ads?