Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bittersweet moment for Chris Heisey

Bittersweet moment for Chris Heisey

From all accounts, Heisey seems like a terrific person. He's definitely a guy to root for. Congrats to Chris on an awesome night.

From John Fay's blog:

PITTSBURGH – Chris Heisey got a bit choked up in the ninth.

He had just hit his first big league homer and taken the field for ninth with Johnny Cueto’s one-hitter the line.

But he thought of his father, Craig, who died in October of 2007 of Lou Gehrig’s disease.

“It hit me,” Heisey said. “I really wished he could be here. But he was here in spirit. He’s in heaven. Hopefully, he was able to watch.”
    full article:
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...nt-for-heisey/
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Re: Bittersweet moment for Chris Heisey

Awww, I'm so glad that Chris had such a great night and I like to think that his dad was sitting in a special box seat watching the game tonight. Maybe he was even watching alongside Joey's dad which is a nice image to have in my head tonight.

And I can't be the only one that hopes Joey and Chris have talked about that shared connection because there's nothing more helpful to a person dealing with loss than to have someone else to talk to who totally understands all those feelings. It would probably help both of them during times like this although they both seem to be doing quite well overall. This was such a great night on so many levels. I hope they can carry these good vibes not only through tomorrow's game but right back to Cincy when they play the Cardinals this weekend.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

I was going to make a joke about ghosts & the attendance of the game.. but it seems like it might be out of line

Good for Chris. What an amazing thing to achieve. His father would be proud of the dinger, very proud of his connection with his family.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

I met Chris at the Caravan in Charleston. I joked with him that he was the next Reds star. It wasn't a very good comment because Janish was there listening and nervously, I looked at Paul and said, "you, too." Janish said, "Right."

The difference in the two men was stark. Heisey was antimated, joking and talking while Janish looked like he wanted to be somewhere else. Maybe it was a bad day for Janish. Regardless, I took a liking to the young man and am happy that he had a good night. I also hope he keeps it up, but I imagine Drew Stubbs, a player I think could change this team if he starts hitting, will get the start tomorrow. I hope they give Chris a chance. After all, we're playing the Pirates tomorrow (and I know that a sweep is probably not in the cards). Anyway, great game and having my best friend die of ALS and watching him slowly die, I know how painful that is. I'm happy for him.

Thanks for posting that article. For others you should click on the link within this article about his family. I didn't know any of that about his sister and father. His mother has to be a special person for all she has been through and still is caring for a totally dependant daughter. I hope Heisey has a great career. He deserves it.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Article from C. Trent - Heisey comes up big

Chris Heisey's older teammates have been trying to help the Reds' rookie adjust to coming off the bench, but as much as they tell him to take it easy during the game, he just isn't able to help himself.

Several times a game, he'll head back into the Reds batting cage behind the dugout and work on a couple of things. He just can't help himself.

"They're kind of on me because I feel like I'm in there constantly taking swings, they're making fun of me, telling me not to swing yourself to death," Heisey said. "I'm just trying to stay loose and I feel like I can work on some things while I'm getting loose."
    full article:
    http://cnati.com/cincinnati-reds/hei...up-big-001985/
    I miss Adam Dunn.

With Stubbs still riding the interstate I think its time for him to ride the pine for a few games and give Heisey some game time in Center for a few games. Heisey seems to have the hot hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmachine2003 View Post
    With Stubbs still riding the interstate I think its time for him to ride the pine for a few games and give Heisey some game time in Center for a few games. Heisey seems to have the hot hand.
    He'll be in CF tomorrow on Stubbs's day off. But he will get his chance to prove himself in interleague, when he will most likely be in LF everyday.

I wouldn't touch the lineup as it is now. Let Stubbs and his Gold Glove defense man center and bat 7th.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmachine2003 View Post
    Over the last week Stubbs has an OPS of 1.128. A stranage time to bench him.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Over the last week Stubbs has an OPS of 1.128. A stranage time to bench him.
    Welll odds are he can't keep that up and wouldn't that be the perfect time to bench him before he gets cold? Of course I'm being sarcastic.

I didn't say bench him for a long peroid of time just that Heisey needs to get some game action and ride him if he gets hot. Stubbs seems to answer when he feels like his job is in trouble and maybe he can figure out he needs to lay off the Curve ball down and out of the strike zone. With Nix back Heisey won't get any time in left and Bruce doesn't get many days off. Not to mention what is Heisey's OPS over the last week?

Heisey has been impressive. He got a start in CF today and went 1-for-3 with a double, two walks, and scored the winning run. I hope he sticks with the major league team all season.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

If one can assume that Heisey will be in LF in Cleveland, w/ Gomes playing DH, I'd like to see him get at least 1 start in Atlanta (anywhere really) to get him some more regular at bats in order to be on top of things w/ potentially 3 straight starts at the mistake by the lake.

Heisey/ Stubbs/ Bruce has to be the best defensive OF in the bigs. Yikes.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Turn Off Ads?