Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Could N.L. Central become a two team race?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Could N.L. Central become a two team race?

It's nice to only have 1 team to jump over.

2. Turn Off Ads?

This is, and will be, a two team race for the rest of the summer. Despite one poster's claims, this Reds team ain't goin' away.

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    At this point in the season I don't even think it's safe to count out Baltimore and they're 17.5 games behind four different teams in their division...21 games behind the Rays.
    Baltimore could bring up some fresh kids from the farm and all four of the other teams could have injury problems...you never can tell, that's why they play the games.

I like 2 team races for the division title, it's a nice way for a manager to get the most out of his guys. It's especially good for a young team like ours. In the end, we could lose the division, get the wild card slot and kick the tar out of the Cards in the playoffs because we're young and have stamina and they use everything up to take the division.
    Nah, the Orioles are done. It is so incredibly difficult to catch four clubs in a pennant chase--even if the Orioles were to run off 10-12 wins in a row, they wouldn't be able to gain ground on all four teams ahead of them, because on a given night it is very likely that at least one or two of them will win, too.

When I was a kid, I remember hearing Tommy Lasorda say in an interview that he would rather be ten games back and in second place than five games back and in fourth place.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Reds
    Cards 1.5 GB
    Chicago 8.5 GB
    Milwaukee 9.5 GB
    Houston 11 GB
    Pittsburgh 12.5 GB

Every game we get deeper into the 2010 season, I get the feeling it really might be a 2 team race. I don't think the Cubs can make a serious run.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    When I was a kid, I remember hearing Tommy Lasorda say in an interview that he would rather be ten games back and in second place than five games back and in fourth place.
    Case in point in the 1964 season for the Reds, the season that ended up with the Cards taking the crown on the final day with a three way race between us, them and the Phillies. In may we were in 6th place (out of 10 then) just three games back. We finished second after losing the last two games (I remember WOY telling some story about one pitcher then, but don't recall the particulars). Still it's a lot of leap frogging to move up in a crowded field.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/te...e-scores.shtml

I'm guardedly optimistic this season, but I'm holding my breath a lot of the time.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

MLBTR is reporting that the Cardinals may be after Cliff Lee and offering Shelby Miller to get him.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/0...cliff-lee.html

A mystery team is pursuing Cliff Lee, tweets Ed Price of AOL FanHouse. According to Price, the Cardinals "may be it." Price believes that top prospect Shelby Miller is a possible chip.
    All speculation right now, but a quick question for those much smarter than myself.

Is Shelby Miller that good of a prospect that he would be considered "too good" to offer for one of the best pitchers in baseball? I really don't know much about him. Thanks
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    MLBTR is reporting that the Cardinals may be after Cliff Lee and offering Shelby Miller to get him.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/0...cliff-lee.html

All speculation right now, but a quick question for those much smarter than myself.

Is Shelby Miller that good of a prospect that he would be considered "too good" to offer for one of the best pitchers in baseball? I really don't know much about him. Thanks
    I read an article on ESPN Insider that indicated that the M's may just hang on to Lee and are content doing so. Obviously, if the M's feel like they have a great deal, they'll pull the trigger probably, but I'm not sure.

This is a really weak division. I don't get the feeling at ALL that Milwaukee will even win close to 80 games so it apperars it's Reds vs Cards for the N.L. Central all summer long.

This thread is two years old!!!!

But yeah, I agree.

Great goodness. How did this get revived. But yeah, I agree.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I know it's early but could the NL Central be a two team race with the Reds and Cardinals running away with it? I'm not huge on Milwaukee and Pittsburgh and the Cubs are.. well the Cubs. It will be a fun summer if they continue to hit and pitch like they are.

I think Pittsburgh isn't to be taken lightly. They may be better than the Cardinals this year if they get decent pitching.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    I think Pittsburgh isn't to be taken lightly. They may be better than the Cardinals this year if they get decent pitching.
    Don't we say this every year?

But if you have to say "If they get good pitching", it's likely already over.

The Pirates staters just don't match up to the starters of the Reds or the Cards, unless injuries bring those 2 teams back to the pack.

Which may be happening.

15. Likes:

Tom Servo (04-22-2013)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'll qualify my comments with "it's still early" but.........

Looking at team stats, Pittsburgh's offense doesn't look like it will hold up. I would take the Reds and Cards offense over the Pirates any day of the week. I do realize the Pirates swept us. But I think it was just one of those things.

Pittsburgh is 25th in team batting average. 24th in HR's. 21st in runs scored. 21st in OBP. 26th in slugging percentage. I see that trend holding up most of the season.

Reds are 5th in team batting average. 9th in HR's. 1st in runs scored. 1st in OBP. 11th in slugging percentage.

Cardinals are 22nd in team batting average. 19th in HR's. 5th in runs scored. 25th in OBP (surprising). 21st in slugging percentage. Hmmmm. I can't figure out how they're 5th in runs scored with those hitting stats.......yikes.

Team pitching stats:
    Team e.r.a.
    4. Pirates 3.30
    7. Cardinals 3.44
    9. Reds 3.58

Team starting pitching
    2. Cardinals 2.54
    5. Cubs 3.13
    6. Reds 3.21
    18. Pirates 4.34

Team bullpen
    3. Pirates 2.03
    20. Reds 4.39
    30. Cardinals 5.69 (wow)

I think the Reds bullpen will improve.

Looking at the stats for both hitting and pitching, I feel the Reds have the most ability to improve. I'd expect the Cardinals hitting to get better though.

17. Likes:

mattfeet (04-22-2013)

Milwaukee will be better than Pittsburgh this year.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

19. Likes:

mth123 (04-22-2013)

Turn Off Ads?