Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Congrats to Homer Bailey on his first career complete game shutout!

Congrats to Homer Bailey on his first career complete game shutout!

Johnny Cueto deserved his own thread and Homer Bailey does too. Homer Bailey today against the Pirates: 9 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 6 K, and get this amazing stat: 90 pitches/73 strikes. Incredible.

Back to back complete game shutouts by Johnny Cueto and Homer Bailey. From Jamie Ramsey - The last time the Reds received consecutive complete-game SHUTOUTS was on 6/9/89 at LA (Rijo, 4-0 win) & 6/10/89 at LA (Browning, 5-0 win)

Awesome.

Congrats to Homer Bailey. I hope this is the beginning of him turning his season around.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Congrats to Homer Bailey on his first career complete game shutout!

Huge hand for Bailey, from me and certainly from the bullpen to both Bailey and Cueto. Most of the Reds bullpen hasn't thrown a pitch since Sunday. That is amazing.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Complete game shutouts are great...but for me, the most impressive thing about BOTH of those starts is this one stat.

ZERO WALKS!

Keep that up, and they'll both be fine. Congrats Homer! Maybe that'll quiet the critics...for a day or two. *grin*

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Homer's always been one of my favorite Reds.

Sounded like he was special out there today. I'm proud of his effort and I am excited to see if he can continue to bring it. If he does, the sky could be the limit for our Reds.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

The 'Pen's gonna be VERY well rested for the Cards series, but hopefully we won't need them.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

He did the CG with even fewer pitches than it took him to get through 4 innings in his last outing.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Way to go Homer!!

Aaron Harang....you're up next!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

The answer:Bailey. Homer freakin' Bailey.

The question: How many pitchers in THE HISTORY OF BASEBALL have thrown a CG shutout on 90 or fewer pitches, throwing at least 73 for strikes.

(thanks to Nate for the link) http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl.../shareit/X5x2D
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

78 of his 90 pitches were fastballs.

Boy the Pirates are lousy.

Well done, Homer.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Complete game shutouts are great...but for me, the most impressive thing about BOTH of those starts is this one stat.

ZERO WALKS!
    This.

Yes the Pirates are bad but we can all still be excited about what Reds pitching did to them this series.
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

Are the Pirates playing historically poorly? Yes.

Sweeping them means the Reds aren't.

But ya, don't read tons into it. Just enjoy.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Good job to Homer very impressive win no matter how you look at it. Pirate announcers stated he was around 91-92 with the FB. I am wondering if he has been working with Price on dialing it back a bit to help with his control. Great game and what a nice series.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    The answer:Bailey. Homer freakin' Bailey.

The question: How many pitchers in THE HISTORY OF BASEBALL have thrown a CG shutout on 90 or fewer pitches, throwing at least 73 for strikes.

(thanks to Nate for the link) http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl.../shareit/X5x2D
    AWESOME find. Wow.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Good job to Homer very impressive win no matter how you look at it. Pirate announcers stated he was around 91-92 with the FB. I am wondering if he has been working with Price on dialing it back a bit to help with his control. Great game and what a nice series.
    Wow. Listened to the whole game on the radio and I would have thought nasty 94-95 MPH Bailey was out there today. This is encouraging. He'll have that same 91-92 fastball on most days.

Gameday had him 95, 94, 93, 92 on the last batter of the game. What impresses me most is the phenomenal--and I don't care who it's against--73 of 90 pitches for strikes.

Turn Off Ads?