Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Atta boy Bailey!!!!

Atta boy Bailey!!!!

Great job Homer, yet another awesome starting job today!!!!! Get the sweep, get out of town, and lets see what happens Friday!!!!! Hoping Harang can keep it up, 2 complete games in a row for us now!!!
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Atta boy Bailey!!!!

Never woulda thunk it.

Pburg scored one frickin run all 3 games. amazing.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    Pburg scored one frickin run all 3 games. amazing.

Both Bailey and Cueto credited their successful outings on the fact that they didnt overpitch. They didnt even try to dial up their fastballs to maximum velocity. Bailey worked his fastball at 90-92 all game.

This may be a stretch, but I can't help thinking that Leake's success at lower speeds might have given Cueto and Bailey the idea that they should try this approach.

The moron I am matched up against in my fantasy league decided to start Homer and his 7+ E.R.A. That's my only complaint of the day

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    The moron I am matched up against in my fantasy league decided to start Homer and his 7+ E.R.A. That's my only complaint of the day
    hahaha..I dropped Cueto instead of Vasquez to make room for Cliff Lee :thumbdown
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

2 complete games in a row plus a day off Thursday means (at least) 3 days rest for the pen. We're locked and loaded going into the Cards series.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
    Both Bailey and Cueto credited their successful outings on the fact that they didnt overpitch. They didnt even try to dial up their fastballs to maximum velocity. Bailey worked his fastball at 90-92 all game.

This may be a stretch, but I can't help thinking that Leake's success at lower speeds might have given Cueto and Bailey the idea that they should try this approach.
    When you listen to Rolen's comments after Cueto's performance about how much the player's appreciate it when a pitcher is not trying to strike everybody out, but just trying to be "effective", as it keeps everyone in the game and on their toes. It makes for a complete team effort. I'm sure Bailey got some of that from other players and management through osmosis because it seems to be contagious right now. It's how Leake always pitches, how Bronson always pitches, and now it looks like Harang is trying to pitch that way, too. But, to get it from Cueto and Bailey in the middle of May with complete game shutouts is just a feat unmatched in my history (42 years of watching....I'm 51) with the REDS. This is Championship baseball. This is how it's played.

Great job, Homer Bailey!

What's amazing about this is Bailey had never gone more than 6 innings without walking a batter. This was also his first complete game (just like Cueto). 16 more to go to catch Halladay.

Not sure if you heard the broadcast or not Kingspoint, but Marty made mention of how Cueto never shook off Ramon the entire game, something he had been apparently doing a lot of. I am assuming Bailey took the same approach with Hanigan today and let the catcher call the game. That follows right along with your point of not trying to strike everyone out.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Not sure if you heard the broadcast or not Kingspoint, but Marty made mention of how Cueto never shook off Ramon the entire game, something he had been apparently doing a lot of. I am assuming Bailey took the same approach with Hanigan today and let the catcher call the game. That follows right along with your point of not trying to strike everyone out.
    I posted this in the Game Thread, right at the beginning of Cueto's start:

Originally Posted by texasdave
    I'd love to see Cueto come out and have a quick 1-2-3 first inning on about 10 pitches.

Hear! Hear!

I'd like him to learn something from Mike Leake (who pitches like a 10-year Veteran) and Arroyo, and not try to strike people out, but get them to make contact, just bad contact. In other words, listen to your Catcher, and stay on the outside edges, like the 1st two pitches Cueto just threw tonight (out of the strikezone).

Thanks, Griff, for the info!

I was wondering after that performance if some of that was going on. Looks like the same thing happened with Bailey. But, it has to even go deeper than that. It really sounds like a collective effort by the Starters and the Coaches, where they really took the whole thing seriously and everyone was willing to try something different with their "styles". That's hard to do for a Pitcher, but it has to be done in order to survive in the Majors.

Turn Off Ads?