Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Do you want the new "Thank You" add-on to remain?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 24.69%
  • No

61 75.31%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thanks... But No Thanks

Thanks... But No Thanks

Not really sure what this new "Thanks" button is all about, but I'm not thrilled that on our info section on the left of each post it lists how many times we've been thanked.

Reminds me too much of my answering machine back in college that always had a bright blinking "0" on it. At least the "Thanks" count doesn't say outloud "You Have Zero Thanks" every time I post something.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Thanks... But No Thanks

This has too much of a "rep points" part deux feel for me. I just hope it doesn't take on a life of its own.

And the box added to the bottom of each post when someone thanks a post takes up way too much real estate. Would it still serve a purpose if everything wasn't so public?
    Last edited by paintmered; 05-13-2010 at 12:20 AM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I was going to thank you but I didnt want to cause any commotion.

I think we need a sarcastic "THANKS" button too. It needs to be in all caps, for occasionals when something terribly obvious is said.

"Cueto pitched well on Tuesday."
    "THANKS"

Below is a description of what it does.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=165673

I added a poll to this thread to determine if we should keep it. It's very easy to remove if you guys vote that way. Let me know if you have any other questions.

What high paying desk jockey thought this up?

In reality, it's another reputation system and it is not necessary. If someone wants to say "thanks" they could PM that member or respond in that thread; we don't need a tote board.

High five!

Only if we can have a "No Thanks" button to go with it!

I think it's a neat little feature. It is a nice way to express appreciation for quality, informative or thought-provoking posts. I think it's a nice addition to the forums that doesn't take too much away from the appearance.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I think it's a nice feature, as long as noose really starts to care about it.

Mu union has a message board, and they tried the rep system for a while. One guy complained so much about getting neg rep that the admin gace him a rep score of positive 2 million.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

IMO, it's a good tool for encouraging the kind of posts we want to see more of. I like it.
    /r/reds

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I like it too. If you feel bad about not being thanked enough, maybe you should post more items worthy of recoginition. I don't see how it hurts to thank someone for their efforts. Seems like the kind of thing we could use more of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    IMO, it's a good tool for encouraging the kind of posts we want to see more of. I like it.
    It's another tool for butt kissin' :thumbdown

I'm not such a fan of it. IMHO, it gives off the feeling of competition and it just rubs me the wrong way. Was that the problem with the old rep system? (I wasn't around back then)

Don't get me wrong, I don't think there's anything wrong with a little appreciation for a good post. But I don't see anything wrong with doing it the way it was being done, namely - writing your own post saying "thanks."

In fact, that way probably encourages people to contribute more to the board. It often starts with something to the effect of "nice post, thanks for that" and then continues with their own thoughts on the matter.
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It's another tool for butt kissin' :thumbdown
    What other method is there to encourage the kind of posts we want to see in the baseball forum that we can't post in? An attaboy PM is the only one I can think of. IMO, that would be "butt-kissin'" and more effort than 99% of us would be willing to expend.
    /r/reds

Well, I guess the above posts made if clear that a Facebook style "Like" add-on wouldn't be welcomed in the Thanks system's place.

Turn Off Ads?