Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds promote Yonder Alonso to Louisville

Re: Reds promote Yonder Alonso to Louisville

I doubt Frazier will see much time at 1B with Yonder here.

And I hope Yonder drives fast. I'll be at the Bats game tonight.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Interesting - hopefully it lights a fire under Yonder. The Reds need some LF help.

Alonso will get the majority of his playing time in left field.

“Same as Carolina,” Reynolds said. “He’ll play some first but mostly left.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...o-to-triple-a/

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post

Awesome, they are still grooming him for LF. Now he just needs to mash so he can be called up mid summer
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Now, it's just a short drive for anyone who wants to go see Alonso play Left Field.

Hopefully, he's in Left Field "that night" after you make the drive to Louisville.

Well hell, I guess Frazier is a 1B for a while.

Anyone know if Terrero has played any 1B?

Looking at Baseball Reference all I see is all 3 OF spots and DH for Terrero thru Minors and Majors

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post

Good to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I would love to see the org. keep Yonder Alonso as the best possible candidate to take over 1b after Joey Votto's departure b/c the Reds cannot afford to lose the payroll flex caused by paying what Votto will legitimately ask for. Don't misunderstand: I'd love to keep Votto, but I think it's highly unlikely. Therefore all the "trade Alonso" sentiment just risks opening up another hole to fill a couple of years down the road.
    Pack up the franchise and give up then. If you produce an all around great player without a big hole in his game, you need to find a way to keep him. It's not easy for a team like the Reds to get ahold of those players, and any team with aspirations of winning it all has to have a couple of those players. The Reds need more Joey Vottos, not less.

As for Alonso, I find this move surprising because he wasn't exactly tearing it up. Hopefully he does a little better at Louisville. If he was able to come up and produce some big numbers in the mid summer, or be moved for somebody that could, that would be a big shot in the arm for this team, and probably put us on the same level if not above the Cardinals.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    Pack up the franchise and give up then. If you produce an all around great player without a big hole in his game, you need to find a way to keep him. It's not easy for a team like the Reds to get ahold of those players, and any team with aspirations of winning it all has to have a couple of those players. The Reds need more Joey Vottos, not less.

As for Alonso, I find this move surprising because he wasn't exactly tearing it up. Hopefully he does a little better at Louisville. If he was able to come up and produce some big numbers in the mid summer, or be moved for somebody that could, that would be a big shot in the arm for this team, and probably put us on the same level if not above the Cardinals.
    As for Votto - If he keeps OPS'ing .975, the Reds aren't going to pay him 18+ Million a year that its going to take to keep him no matter how much they may want to do that.

As for Alonso.... he hit two balls to the wall last week. Two balls that go five more feet and the guy has an .890 OPS. He isn't exactly struggling.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    As for Votto - If he keeps OPS'ing .975, the Reds aren't going to pay him 18+ Million a year that its going to take to keep him no matter how much they may want to do that.

As for Alonso.... he hit two balls to the wall last week. Two balls that go five more feet and the guy has an .890 OPS. He isn't exactly struggling.
    Hopefully the Reds have the sense to lock him up before his price tag reaches that huge number, and have fostered enough goodwill where Votto would be willing to work with them to fit in the budget.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post

Possible scenario the FO will have to confront: Is it worth paying Votto 20 million a year over 6 years for the difference between him and Alonso? That's not going to be an easy question, and I don't think the figure for Votto is inflated at all.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Possible scenario the FO will have to confront: Is it worth paying Votto 20 million a year over 6 years for the difference between him and Alonso? That's not going to be an easy question, and I don't think the figure for Votto is inflated at all.
    Yea some times the Reds have to run the team more like the Marlins even if everyone dislikes it.

big contracts kill teams like the Reds when they dont work out, and still severely handicap them when they do.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

I don't think it would take 18+ million if the Reds would lock him up now.

For all this talk about Alonso's defense in LF, could it possibly be worse than Gomes?

Turn Off Ads?