Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Reds promote Yonder Alonso to Louisville

Re: Reds promote Yonder Alonso to Louisville

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I disagree with you, power is the premium those guys are getting paid for and Votto has yet to top 30 HR's. Sure the smart sabermetric using teams will appreciate him just as much if not more but there are few of those teams and even less who aren't gonna want a deal because the rest of baseball isn't madly pursuing. And again that's why you lock him up sooner rather than later.
    This!

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    He'll be 27 in september and this will be his 1st arb. eligible season. Which means we already have control of him until he's 30. I don't see many teams giving a 30 year old 1st baseman with less than 30 HR's a season 20 million a year. Especially when he is doing his damage in GABP. Sign him up after this year or next for 6 years @ 12-15 million per and I don't see how he can turn it down.

It's not like Alonso isn't gonna ask for the stars at some point so might as well take the bird in the hand.
    and This!

I say an acceptable contract would be more like Evan Longoria than Ryan Howard.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

2. Turn Off Ads?

Acceptable to us or even the FO doesn't matter. Acceptable to Votto is what matters. Votto is already a much better player than Carlos Pena, to whom he was compared earlier in the thread. OPS for Votto .929, average OPS+ of 140, whereas Pena, now 32, is at .851 and 124. He's better than Gonzalez as well, who is at .866 and 134; and he's very close to Howard, who will, incidentally, be 31 this November (if age is relevant, as it is, in these valuations). Howard is at .953 and 141. Votto may very well sign with the Reds now or next year for a multi-year deal, but I think that, in market terms, he may very well be unwise to do so. The Gonzalez contract is probably a good one to watch for comps.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    I say an acceptable contract would be more like Evan Longoria than Ryan Howard.
    Except Longoria's contract was given about a week after he became a major league player. Not to mention from a player's perspective, his contract is one of the worst contracts ever signed. 9 years (including all club options) for 44 million? On the open market with Longoria averaging a 6 WAR a year, he would be worth 240-270 million dollars (depending on your win value). Votto would be a fool to sign something similar.

However I like the Alonso promotion. From everything I have read, the hamate bone saps power for almost a year. As long as Alonso is reaching base with a beasty OBP and maintaining a solid LD% I think he will be fine. Judging current talent on an injury plagued year off of power numbers alone, can be sketchy at best.

With Alonso signing a major league contract how many years can he stay in the minors before the Reds must promote him?

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    DING DING DING!!!

I think Walt is showcasing him, and would rather trade him than put a Dunn-Lite in LF for the Big Club.
    Alonso's future in ML is at DH IMO.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    If their only interest is in showcasing him for a trade then why not just play him at 1B? I think there is a very good chance that they are doing what they say they are doing; grooming him to be the LF of the future. I hope so.
    Last edited by Pony Boy; 05-14-2010 at 01:33 PM.

Resident PED Expert

The team we would match up the best with in a trade for Alonso is Tampa. Pena is streaky at best and is getting a little long in the Tooth. Plus you never what kinda season you are getting from him year to year. They have a plethora of legit prospects throughout their system except at first base. Would they take a package built around Alonso, Stubbs and Francisco for Jennings and Beckham? Jennings is an OBP monster who would solve alot of problems at the top of the Reds Batting order. It also give the Rays a long term, inexpensive 6 year fix at 1B and DH with Alonso becoming a draw with his ties in Florida and the Cuban community.

It gives the Reds a upgrade over Rojas at SS in High A and give the Reds Flexibility and time to develop one of DiDi, Hamilton, Arias (who I heard may end up at 3B) or Valor.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    The team we would match up the best with in a trade for Alonso is Tampa. Pena is streaky at best and is getting a little long in the Tooth. Plus you never what kinda season you are getting from him year to year. They have a plethora of legit prospects throughout their system except at first base. Would they take a package built around Alonso, Stubbs and Francisco for Jennings and Beckham? Jennings is an OBP monster who would solve alot of problems at the top of the Reds Batting order. It also give the Rays a long term, inexpensive 6 year fix at 1B and DH with Alonso becoming a draw with his ties in Florida and the Cuban community.

It gives the Reds a upgrade over Rojas at SS in High A and give the Reds Flexibility and time to develop one of DiDi, Hamilton, Arias (who I heard may end up at 3B) or Valor.
    I would make that deal. A lot more for Jennings than Beckham. Beckham is not quite impressing anyone these days, offensively or defensively.

Re: Yonder Alonso promoted to AAA

Quote Originally Posted by 1990REDS View Post
    Anyone know if his glove work is improving or not? I know that has always been a big question about him.
    his main problem is that he just isn't very athletic. He is a 1b, which desn't mean they won't play him in LF.

The Reds have stockpiled prospects(Francisco, Frazier, Alonso) at a few positions. A couple of them need to be flipped.
    Last edited by flyer85; 05-14-2010 at 01:58 PM.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I would make that deal. A lot more for Jennings than Beckham. Beckham is not quite impressing anyone these days, offensively or defensively.
    I hadn't been keeping tabs on Beckham at all. Wow. A .151 BA? 30 Ks in 86 AB's with a .279 SLG... I'd still take a flyer on him. Put him in Dayton in the OF and see if he could be salvaged.

I'd really like to see a deal made for Jennings. It just fits. Tampa has a pretty deep outfield. They just signed Zorbist to a long term deal. I can't see them letting Crawford leave being their all time Franchise player. Especially since he'd probably end up in Boston. Upton is an Enigma but is still only 25. Hard to see them letting him go as well. Plus they have Ruggiano who has been in AAA it seems forever and Joyce if he could ever get healthy as well for Depth.

I know it'll never be but it nice to dream.

Personally id rather go straight for a major league player. Cliff Lee, Grady Sizemore, Carl Crawford.

Not that those guys are likely to be traded, well other than Cliff Lee, but id rather go for a major league guy instead of the other way, but this is hypothetical land.

I can't see Tampa trading Jennings. Upton is struggling again this year and Crawford will be a free agent.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I can't see Tampa trading Jennings. Upton is struggling again this year and Crawford will be a free agent.
    I don't think they will trade him either, but if they were....I would certainly make the deal.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Do you really think they will let Crawford walk? I can't see it. Especially since Boston and NY will probably be his biggest suitors.

I would make that deal too, but I would try to rope Brignac in any deal with Tampa.
    Go BLUE!!!

Do you really think they will let Crawford walk? I can't see it. Especially since Boston and NY will probably be his biggest suitors.
    He's as good as already gone. The Rays are not going to outbid the Yankees for him, the Red Sox can't even do that.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I think Zach Grienke, Cliff Lee, Grady Sizemore, Carlos Quentin and Fausto Carmona are guys we need to be looking at around the trade deadline..

Look next year this team is most likely not going to have harang and arroyo...and honestly i think aroldis chapman should be brought up just the way like how neftali feliz in Texas so we do not rush him a long and he can help the bullpen when they trade away cordero...

Mike Leake is either going to be the ace or number 2 starter next year followed by homer bailey and johnny cueto...Hoping that edinson comes back to the form he was in before and maybe even better that would turn out to be a pretty good damn rotation...

Acquiring Zach Grienke would put us over the top for sure because of his dominance...i cant really think of a package that we could put together right now to get him but our farm system is one of the best in baseball so i know we have the pieces to get him...maybe put it around Yonder Alonso or Matt Klinker....

Cliff Lee is the interesting one though...he can become a free agent at the end of the year and if he hits the open market i think the red sox will probably snatch him so i mean he is an interesting asset to a team but could a contract be worked out?

Turn Off Ads?