Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Reds promote Yonder Alonso to Louisville

Re: Reds promote Yonder Alonso to Louisville

From John Fay's blog:

“I just saw him,” Reynolds said. “His average isn’t extremely high. But he’s not getting a lot of pitches to hit. I think he’ll hit better at Triple-A. They were pitching around him a lot at Carolina. He got a little impatient at times. I don’t think you’ll see that at Triple-A.”
    Reynolds said Alonso been solid in the outfield.

“He catches everything that’s to him,” Reynolds said. “His arm is fine out there. He’s worked hard at it.”
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...o-to-triple-a/

2. Turn Off Ads?

From C. Trent's website:

Bats manager Rick Sweet had been playing a juggling act with his lineup for much of this season, having several players play in multiple positions. However, with Dorn's injury and Juan Francisco's recent emergency appendectomy, the lineup has settled into a routine, Reynolds said.

"The main goal is to get guys in a position so they can contribute here," Reynolds said. "Alonso's going to be his left fielder for the most part and Frazer his third baseman."
    http://cnati.com/cincinnati-reds/alo...ss-aaa-001961/

And where is Francisco going to play?

BTW, Alonso played 1B tonight and did well.

Re: Yonder Alonso promoted to AAA

Probably going to sound like a jerk but there is a forum for this stuff.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Reynolds has had pretty sound judgement raising the Reds farm hands the last few years - Looking at Baseball America rate the Reds as one of the best farm systems in the last 3 years reminds me how many good players have churned thru the system on his watch.

If he's on board and saying good things about the LF transformation, I'll take it.

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    And where is Francisco going to play?

BTW, Alonso played 1B tonight and did well.
    Francisco is going to play recovering on the DL postion for the next month.

"He catches everything that’s to him,” Reynolds said. “His arm is fine out there. He’s worked hard at it.”
    Damning with faint praise perhaps. Another way to read this is that he has no range and his arm is nothing special and he has had to work hard to get to this level. The summary of him being solid in the field is a lot more promising however.

Senor Votto

Is Frazier on the 40 man roster?

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Is Frazier on the 40 man roster?
    It's pretty much guaranteed that he will be no later than December.

Quote Originally Posted by berryluther View Post
    Promoting or Showcasing?

I think he will be the key to any deal Walt makes.
    I think you hit it on the head.

That line in AA isn't "promotion worthy". I think Walt is ready to cash this totally redundant chip in.

I personally will be hoping he succeeds!

Although he is WAY too much to give up for David DeJesus, I would totally send Alonso to KC for DJ and Alex Gordon!

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

The reason he got promoted is because Francisco, and Dorn both are out for at least a month.

Senor Votto

So this September we'll probably see Alonso but no Frazier. I wouldn't mind Alonso getting alot of playing time come Sept.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    So this September we'll probably see Alonso but no Frazier. I wouldn't mind Alonso getting alot of playing time come Sept.
    If they have to put Frazier on next year I wouldnt be surprised if they just took Cairo off the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Hopefully he can go on a tear and either fetch the Reds a good player in a trade or come up and fill the Reds left field role.
    DING DING DING!!!

I think Walt is showcasing him, and would rather trade him than put a Dunn-Lite in LF for the Big Club.
    Alonso's future in ML is at DH IMO.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Turn Off Ads?