Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Reds promote Yonder Alonso to Louisville

Re: Reds promote Yonder Alonso to Louisville

Quote Originally Posted by vottofan4life View Post
    I think Zach Grienke, Cliff Lee, Grady Sizemore, Carlos Quentin and Fausto Carmona are guys we need to be looking at around the trade deadline..

Look next year this team is most likely not going to have harang and arroyo...and honestly i think aroldis chapman should be brought up just the way like how neftali feliz in Texas so we do not rush him a long and he can help the bullpen when they trade away cordero...
    If they are going to be buyers, why would they trade away Cordero?

Mike Leake is either going to be the ace or number 2 starter next year followed by homer bailey and johnny cueto...Hoping that edinson comes back to the form he was in before and maybe even better that would turn out to be a pretty good damn rotation...

Acquiring Zach Grienke would put us over the top for sure because of his dominance...i cant really think of a package that we could put together right now to get him but our farm system is one of the best in baseball so i know we have the pieces to get him...maybe put it around Yonder Alonso or Matt Klinker....

Cliff Lee is the interesting one though...he can become a free agent at the end of the year and if he hits the open market i think the red sox will probably snatch him so i mean he is an interesting asset to a team but could a contract be worked out?
    I like the idea of trading for an ace, but Greinke isn't going anywhere. Neither is Sizemore. Lee could be dealt if the M's are out of contention, but he would clearly be a two month rental. I'd deal for him only if he was the one missing piece the Reds truly felt they needed. I'm not sure how much Fausto Carmona could add to this rotation.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    If they are going to be buyers, why would they trade away Cordero?
    Because he's not worth his salary?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Sure, but do the Reds believe that? I bet they think he is clearly worth it all.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    I'll agree that he's probably overpaid...but go back and remember our bullpen issues BEFORE he arrived. I'd be happy if Coco stayed for the entire length of his contract.

Things haven't looked so good for Alonso in Louisville.

If the Reds think they are contenders they are not going to trade Cordero even if he is overpaid to some. Think about it.....it's not like Cordero is John Wetteland and they have Mariano Rivera waiting to take over.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Things haven't looked so good for Alonso in Louisville.
    I'm willing to wait out the season on Alonso. If he still has a sub-.800 OPS by season's end, I'll start to be pretty concerned. Ditto for Todd Frazier.

For the first time in a long time, I don't think the Reds have any "Grade B" prospects. There is Aroldis Chapman and then a bunch of guys barely on the fringe of the Top 100.
    Go BLUE!!!

I'm willing to wait out the season on Alonso. If he still has a sub-.800 OPS by season's end, I'll start to be pretty concerned. Ditto for Todd Frazier.

For the first time in a long time, I don't think the Reds have any "Grade B" prospects. There is Aroldis Chapman and then a bunch of guys barely on the fringe of the Top 100.
    Todd Frazier and Yonder Alonso are both recovering from Injuries. I think a little unfair to label them as fringe prospects. They were top 100, and producing less than a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Todd Frazier and Yonder Alonso are both recovering from Injuries. I think a little unfair to label them as fringe prospects. They were top 100, and producing less than a year ago.
    I didn't say they were fringe prospects, but they are most definitely on the fringe (and probably out) of the Top 100 at this point. Being 23/24 years old and posting a sub-.700 OPS for more than 2 months of a minor league season will chip away at your value. especially when you still don't have a set defensive position to play.

Alonso injured his hand 12 months ago. I know it takes a while to come back from a hammate injury, but he has been playing since August. If anything, it could take a while to regain one's power from such an injury, but he still has a sub-.300 OBP. The injury is no longer a legitimate excuse.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-06-2010 at 10:42 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

In terms of Reds prospects it's also important to note that 99.9% of the time Mike Leake would still be a prospect, but he's an exception.

Really, if things went on their normal path the Reds would have 2 of the top 20 prospects in baseball in Leake and Chapman. Hell, a case could be made that they would've had 2 of the top 10 prospects in baseball.

The Reds have three prospects who look to possibly be better than the guys playing their position in the major leagues - Chapman, Mesoraco and Cozart. All the others are useful role player types and the Reds should be willing to package as many as necessary to upgrade the big league roster.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The Reds have three prospects who look to possibly be better than the guys playing their position in the major leagues - Chapman, Mesoraco and Cozart. All the others are useful role player types and the Reds should be willing to package as many as necessary to upgrade the big league roster.

I think Dave Sappelt, CF for Carolina, has a claim to be on this list. His 23 year old numbers so far are .367/.395/.533/ .929 with 0 E's in 33 games. 15 K's in 120 AB's 15/6 K to W, 11 of 16 SB's. Since I have been and am a big fan of Drew Stubbbs, I don't really think Sappelt will be a better player than Stubbs, but in all fairness, to Sappelt, I think he's got a pretty good claim to being considered for the list here.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I think Dave Sappelt, CF for Carolina, has a claim to be on this list. His 23 year old numbers so far are .367/.395/.533/ .929 with 0 E's in 33 games. 15 K's in 120 AB's 15/6 K to W, 11 of 16 SB's. Since I have been and am a big fan of Drew Stubbbs, I don't really think Sappelt will be a better player than Stubbs, but in all fairness, to Sappelt, I think he's got a pretty good claim to being considered for the list here.
    Sappelt has had an interesting season. 77 PA in A+ resulted in a .690 OPS. 130 in AA has resulted in a .922 OPS.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Sappelt has had an interesting season. 77 PA in A+ resulted in a .690 OPS. 130 in AA has resulted in a .922 OPS.
    He really seems to have caught on in AA. I hope it's for real, fear it may not be. Anyway, as you say, it's interesting. He's worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    He really seems to have caught on in AA. I hope it's for real, fear it may not be. Anyway, as you say, it's interesting. He's worth watching.
    It's not entirely real, his BABIP is over .400. But he has really cut down the strikeout rate from where it was in Lynchburg. His BABIP will generally be high, the guy is pretty darn fast. So long as he keeps his strikeout rate where it is now, around the 11-12% range, he should be a solid prospect given the defense he also brings.

Turn Off Ads?