Turn Off Ads?
Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lebron saga

Re: The Lebron saga

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    What if LeBron hits four straight game winners in the Finals and Wade was hurt? Would it really be Wade's team then?
    Nope.

I honestly don't think LeBron cares about who's team it is. That's why he went there. What I don't understand is people who are insisting that he's still THE star attraction for the team when he's clearly not.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Sorry but when you win back to back MVP awards, you are not going to magically turn into a sidekick.

Wade has never been the sole captain of his team before, why would he be now? Shaq was always the leader, and when he left, Haslem became Co-Captain with Wade.

Haslem is Batman. Wade and Lebron can be a siamese Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Sorry but when you win back to back MVP awards, you are not going to magically turn into a sidekick.

Wade has never been the sole captain of his team before, why would he be now? Shaq was always the leader, and when he left, Haslem became Co-Captain with Wade.

Haslem is Batman. Wade and Lebron can be a siamese Robin.
    Haslem? He isn't even Alfred.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Kareem won a title way back with the Milwaukee Bucks. An aging Oscar Robertson and a young Bobbie Dandridge was on that squad. It was only the Bucks third year in existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Kareem was the glass and Magic was the straw that stirred the drink. One didnt win a title before the other and Kareem was into his 30s before Magic even went pro.

Erving was 32 and had gotten them there but lost both times. Moses made it there in Houston but lost also.
    Kareem's Bucks swept the Bullets in 1971, when he was still Lew

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    What if LeBron hits four straight game winners in the Finals and Wade was hurt? Would it really be Wade's team then?
    That's not going to happen, but if it did then it would be LeBron's team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Short term, this is going to hurt LeBron. But, realistically, he didn't do anything illegal. Perhaps you could say it was morally wrong to do what he did but people are going to disagree about that. People will forget about this and root for LeBron again. Perhaps without the same fervor as before but people without a dog in this hunt are going to root for arguably the best player in the game. People rooted for Kobe again and at the minimum, he cheated on his wife. Kobe excelled and led his team to 2 titles. If LeBron does the same thing, everyone who isn't a CLE fan will forget about all of this. Plus there will be another Olympics in 2 years. LeBron is a cinch to make the team if he chooses to play. That will also go a long ways in turning people back around on him - especially if they win the Gold again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Kareem's Bucks swept the Bullets in 1971, when he was still Lew
    I meant with the Lakers.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

LeBron has a twitvid for you guys....

YouTube - B.o.B - Haterz Everywhere [Feat. Rich Boy] (video)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Nope.

I honestly don't think LeBron cares about who's team it is. That's why he went there. What I don't understand is people who are insisting that he's still THE star attraction for the team when he's clearly not.
    did you watch this whole spectacle unfold? I would have to disagree with that notion.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Short term, this is going to hurt LeBron. But, realistically, he didn't do anything illegal. Perhaps you could say it was morally wrong to do what he did but people are going to disagree about that. People will forget about this and root for LeBron again. Perhaps without the same fervor as before but people without a dog in this hunt are going to root for arguably the best player in the game. People rooted for Kobe again and at the minimum, he cheated on his wife. Kobe excelled and led his team to 2 titles. If LeBron does the same thing, everyone who isn't a CLE fan will forget about all of this. Plus there will be another Olympics in 2 years. LeBron is a cinch to make the team if he chooses to play. That will also go a long ways in turning people back around on him - especially if they win the Gold again.
    I don't know. We'll have to see, but this is something different than making bad decisions that hurt your personal life but have no impact on the fans whatsoever. To engage in self-serving behavior that slaps the paying customers in the face, well people tend to have long memories, especially if they had shelled out a significant portion of their hard-earned money to support you and your team.

Before this whole debacle, LeBron was one of those players whose popularity transcended his team, and it showed in merchandise sales and endorsements. When you have a drawn-out free agency sham where fans stage elaborate pep rallies to try to obtain your services, not only in your hometown, but in many other markets, and then you put on a ridiculous infomercial to celebrate your greatness and the importance of your decision, when it now appears that was your choice all along, it ticks off a lot of people, from especially from Cleveland, New York and Chicago. In Cleveland, it hurt not only because it was self-serving and humiliating to do that on Live TV, but it also opened a lot of old wounds and gave certain members of the media the opportunity to make more potshots about how bad it is to live in Cleveland (It's not any worse than living in Cincinnati or Columbus, and a whole heck of a lot better than living in places like Flint, Michigan or Gary, Indiana).

Other than Heat fans, I this kind of stuff makes people think long and hard when deciding whether to spend their money on a superstar's jersey or basketball shoes, or spend it on something a little more lasting. I don't think people will hate him forever, but he's never going to get the same love from the fans that he had before "The Decision." I think it just creates more skepticism and drives a deeper wedge between professional athletes and the fans that buy the tickets to see them. When I think about buying team apparel for my kids, more and more I think it's better to buy them something with no name or number on the back, so they don't become too attached to a particular player.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I think the Heat is now Lebron's team.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    I think the Heat is now Lebron's team.
    Until they win a championship, with him as "the guy," its Wade's team.

Guess the only way to find out is to let this unfold though.

Quote Originally Posted by zjr1717 View Post
    Until they win a championship, with him as "the guy," its Wade's team.

Guess the only way to find out is to let this unfold though.
    Which will never happen, unless Wade gets hurt.

For the love of Christ they renamed Dade County to "Wade County" when he was a free agent. Not for a day, for like 2 weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Which will never happen, unless Wade gets hurt.

For the love of Christ they renamed Dade County to "Wade County" when he was a free agent. Not for a day, for like 2 weeks.
    Most likely your right it will never happen. But it will be interesting to see how they perform as a trio, who statistically contributes the most, and who the major media outlets(ESPN) spin as the "man"

The man most likely to be spinned in this way is Lebron. For instance, though it was a different situation in Boston, despite not being the guy who would most likely take the final shot in a big game, KG was widely hailed as the centerpiece of the team, or at least that's how it seemed to me. I didn't disagree with that either, though thats not really relevant.

But Miami is different, Wade already has a championship, but he achieved that with a different cast and the help of Shaq. We shall see how this whole thing plays out, but i agree with those who have said earlier that it'll probably fall apart within 3 years.

Turn Off Ads?