Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 44 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lebron saga

Re: The Lebron saga

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Please. Lebron is much better than Pippen ever was and Pippen was a great NBA player.

This can't be compared to Jordan and Pippen, this is a different than we've seen before. You guys are crazy if you think Jordan wouldn't have played with another super star if the opportunity arose.

I really can't see any fault with Lebron going to Miami. I think it was ridiculous for him to do it in the way he did with this "Decision" show. But I think going to Miami is a great decision for him. All three of these guys are better than the Celtics "Big Three".
    The difference is that Jprdan was the Big Dog. There is no way Jordan would have followed others to another team. He would have made the other superstars come to him to play on his team, not the other way around.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    The difference is that Jprdan was the Big Dog. There is no way Jordan would have followed others to another team. He would have made the other superstars come to him to play on his team, not the other way around.
    The difference is Jordan didn't have to make a decision like this because his organization gave him high quality players to support him (take note, Dan Gilbert). Scottie Pippen is an all-time great, and Dennis Rodman and Toni Kukoc were better than most (all?) of the Cavs support given to LBJ.

Sure, the television show was probably a bad idea. But I find it amusing that people are criticizing an athlete for putting winning above all else, money and "status" included. What more do we want from athletes than a desire to win?

We want them to not crap all over their hometown. LeBron wouldn't be getting nearly as much heat had he just handled this a little bit more like a professional. Call the Cavs and let them know be a man about it. And don't do it on national tv. Would have saved him a lot of criticism.

I can't blame him for wanting to win more than money, but the figure I heard last night was he got 96% of what he could have gotten. So its not like he's hurting or anything.

I just think he went to being a bad guy for what he did to Cleveland. And I think his "brand" may have taken a hit for it. I'm sure Miami is ecstatic but the rest of the league isn't so keen on it. I think if he would have persevered and stayed in Cleveland and gotten that team to winning a championship would have earned him much better mojo and legend and all that.

Now its just going to be a super-team. Which is a blown knee or broken arm or plantar fascitis away from being just a one superstar with a blah surrounding cast. And a super team doesn't always win. Just as West, Baylor, and Chamberlain.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I just don't see the upside of this for LeBron. His brand will take a hit without doubt you just became a villian virtually everywhere outside of Miami. And if you do win you will never get the credit. Ask Kobe how much credit you get for rings when you're not the man. With the game on the line shots will go to Wade. Lebron just became LePip. Good work.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    I just don't see the upside of this for LeBron. His brand will take a hit without doubt you just became a villian virtually everywhere outside of Miami. And if you do win you will never get the credit. Ask Kobe how much credit you get for rings when you're not the man. With the game on the line shots will go to Wade. Lebron just became LePip. Good work.
    I don't think nearly that many people will see him as a villain outside of CLE. I think most people will say "hmm...that was kind of a jerk move" and then in a few months they'll forget.

I still don't see how he's Pippen, not that there's anything wrong with that. This will be different than Jordan and Pippen. Neither Wade nor Lebron is as good as Jordan but both are better than Pippen.

Maybe but Lebron is not Jordan. He shouldn't be trying to be Jordan, there's no mold of former players that these guys are all going to fit into. I think it was a really good move for Lebron, I just think he could have handled the move better.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Please. Lebron is much better than Pippen ever was and Pippen was a great NBA player.

This can't be compared to Jordan and Pippen, this is a different than we've seen before. You guys are crazy if you think Jordan wouldn't have played with another super star if the opportunity arose.

I really can't see any fault with Lebron going to Miami. I think it was ridiculous for him to do it in the way he did with this "Decision" show. But I think going to Miami is a great decision for him. All three of these guys are better than the Celtics "Big Three".
    Well of course they're better than the Big Three now, because the Big Three is quickly turning into the Old Three. But the Celtics star players were all nearing the end of their career, and their talents meshed together perfectly. I'm not sure that's the case in Miami. Having three star players guarantees nothing. How many championships did Elgin Baylor, Jerry West, and Wilt win? That trio is better than this current trio, and they took home zero trophies.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    The difference is Jordan didn't have to make a decision like this because his organization gave him high quality players to support him (take note, Dan Gilbert). Scottie Pippen is an all-time great, and Dennis Rodman and Toni Kukoc were better than most (all?) of the Cavs support given to LBJ.

Sure, the television show was probably a bad idea. But I find it amusing that people are criticizing an athlete for putting winning above all else, money and "status" included. What more do we want from athletes than a desire to win?
    The Cavs have been hamstrung for years because LeBron wouldn't commit to the Cavs beyond this year. The Cavs have done every thing they could to build a winner around LeBron and the team won more games than anyone else over the past few years. That Gilbert couldn't build a super team around him is more on LeBron than it is the Cavs.

You can make apologies for LeBron all you want, but it won't change the fact that he committed the all-time jerk move forcing his hometown fans and team to watch him hang them out to dry while he picked someone else. I don't think any number of championships will remove the taint of this move. He didn't just leave the Cavs, he waited as the fans begged him to stay and slapped them in the face on national tv. Without those fans, he would have never been a star. The fans and their money are the reason for his fame and wealth.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post

I can't get behind this. The difference between Jordan and LeBron off the court is that the Bulls did what they thought was in the best interest for the organization. Cleveland did everything to make LeBron happy. I don't really watch the NBA but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell you that Shaq had been done for a couple of years when LeBron wanted him to come and play. For years LeBron wanted Mike James as his personal caddy and head coach. Even before LeBron was drafted he was talking about how he wasn't going to sign if Paul Silas wasn't the coach. LBJ was a diva, is a diva, and will forever be a diva.

With one basketball and a court of 5 guys superstars don't mesh well. Its nice for the Olympics and the all star game but its a whole different story when its 82 games. Its a whole different story when D Wade has the ball in his hands at the end of the game. Its a different story when D Wade is viewed as the closer and LeBron is the bull in the china shop.

There is a huge difference between LeBron and MJ. MJ wouldn't have joined forces with Magic, Bird, Shaq, Reggie, Stockton, or Malone. He wanted to beat them, he wanted to beat the best. MJ was a closer. He was cut throat, he did what the team needed to be done in order to win. He could hit the outside shot, hit the fade away, lock down the best scorer. LeBron's act has gotten old and I hope he doesn't win in Miami. I hope there aren't enough balls to go around to keep those three happy. And this comes from someone who likes D Wade.

Razor- I don't mean that LeBron is Pippen in terms of talent not even close. What I'm saying is in term of roles they are going to be near identical. And no matter how many rings he wins he'll never be looked at as THE GUY.

This is all probably a moot point. You can take the kid out of Cleveland but maybe you can't take the Cleveland out of the kid. He might just be a loser for life. Could be hard to get the Cleveland off him.

The way Miami cleared cap space and who they drafted seems to me like James, Wade and Bosh decided weeks ago. It was all too convenient that Miami cleared out everyone so they could sign 3 max free agents.

If James wanted the best chance to win AND be the alpha dog who would have gone to Chicago. Seems to me that James really doesn't want to shoulder the responsibility for winning. I guess Miami will figure out how to run 2 pick and rolls at the same time.

And in Cleveland he went from the penthouse to the outhouse.
    Last edited by flyer85; 07-09-2010 at 08:53 AM.

I think, like was said....most people outside of CLE...will not be as outraged and indignant....because this kind of self promotion and like his owner said "narcissist" move is not really seen as that bad of a thing. Mark Jackson is already defending him....saying CLE should hang his jersey up in the rafters for what he did for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    You can make apologies for LeBron all you want, but it won't change the fact that he committed the all-time jerk move forcing his hometown fans and team to watch him hang them out to dry while he picked someone else. I don't think any number of championships will remove the taint of this move. He didn't just leave the Cavs, he waited as the fans begged him to stay and slapped them in the face on national tv. Without those fans, he would have never been a star. The fans and their money are the reason for his fame and wealth.
    Couldn't have said it any better.

And as a Knick fan, I don't really care that he's not coming to NY. If he didn't want to play here fine. And if he had come to NY only because of his "brand" then I wouldn't have wanted him either.

But he handled the whole thing badly, as did Wade, because many said that this was decided on a long time ago. And using the Boys and Girls Club as PR was a CYA move and equally transparent. Wade talking about Chicago being in his heart, his home, close to his kids was all BS, too. Bosh was the only honest player in this game. He said from the start that he was going to leave Toronto to play with another superstar. Wade and LeBron were classless, IMO.

Honestly, I'd root for a team with Reggie Miller, Bill Laimbeer, Dennis Rodman and coached by Isiah Thomas to beat this Heat team.

Edit: Then there's this about NY. If you can't take the heat ... go to a place where the arena doesn't even sell out during the playoffs.

LeBron James didn't feel comfortable coming to play for the Knicks, a source told the New York Post.

James was afraid of New York's bright lights and the intense nature of the media, the source claims.

Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni hinted that might be the case on Thursday.

"I think I was attracted to a lot of cities," James told Michael Wilbon after his decision as he sidestepped a question about New York.

"I was attracted to a lot of cities, but it came down to where I can win and where my family would be happy."
    Last edited by NJReds; 07-09-2010 at 09:03 AM.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Not directed at you Tony but to Mark Jackson....what the hell did he do? He just left the team in a complete mess. He didn't win anything and he quit on them this year. That's absurd from Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Having three star players guarantees nothing. How many championships did Elgin Baylor, Jerry West, and Wilt win? That trio is better than this current trio, and they took home zero trophies.
    That's true, although it should be noted that James, Wade and Bosh are younger than Baylor, West and Wilt were when they originally teamed up in 1969. Baylor was 34 years old and had never been quite the same since having knee problems in 1963-64, West was 30 and Wilt was 32; of that trio only West was probably still at his peak. Wade is 28, Bosh just turned 26 and James is 25.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?