Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 44 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lebron saga

jredmo2

The Lebron saga

Thought this deserves it's own thread, since Lebron isn't in the playoffs, and this whole thing is about to explode (if it hasn't already).

Thought this article was interesting:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...calipari051410

Worldwide Wes is the shadiest non-PED guy in sports. The one positive I can take away from this is the almost guaranteed UK NCAA investigation.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Lebron saga

From Coach Cal's Twitter:

I’ve said many times that I’ve got the best job in the country. Still the speculation runs wild and I can’t stop that…I want to address this with the Big Blue Nation one last time, I will be coaching at Kentucky next year. Now let’s finish what we started!
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by jredmo2 View Post
    Thought this deserves it's own thread, since Lebron isn't in the playoffs, and this whole thing is about to explode (if it hasn't already).

Thought this article was interesting:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...calipari051410

Worldwide Wes is the shadiest non-PED guy in sports. The one positive I can take away from this is the almost guaranteed UK NCAA investigation.
    I'm glad for Calipari. It's going to be the second time that Kentucky burns down.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

To quote someone from ESPN:

49% chance he ends up staying
    49% chance he ends up with the Knicks
    2% chance he ends up with the Nets

No one else will matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post

No one else will matter.
    Why not the Bulls?

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I'm glad for Calipari. It's going to be the second time that Kentucky burns down.
    Third.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Why not the Bulls?
    Would you want to be forever held up and compared (usually unfavorably) to the greatest basketball player (possibly greatest modern-era athlete) in history? Because that's what going to Chicago would be -- an endless string of "Jordan would have..." statements. LeBron is more likely to stay in Cleveland than go to Chicago, IMO.

He'll be a Knick or a Net by the end of the summer. I'd bet a significant sum of money on it.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Why not the Bulls?
    Michael Jordan. If he signed with them he would always be compared to Jordan. He would always be asked, Why haven't you won six championships,score 30 ppg and lock down you opponent on defense every night? I would find it very hard to believe James wants this type of scrutiny 24/7 if he went to the Bulls. I think he will either sign back with Cleveland or to NYC with the Knicks or Nets.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

You think he (and Kobe) aren't already compared to Jordan? You don't think they view Jordan's career as "the goal" themselves?

Chicago, with Rose & Noah, gives LeBron the best chance to win immediately and often. Plus, it is a larger market for him, which means more $$.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

You think he (and Kobe) aren't already compared to Jordan? You don't think they view Jordan's career as "the goal" themselves?

Chicago, with Rose & Noah, gives LeBron the best chance to win immediately and often. Plus, it is a larger market for him, which means more $$.
    Yeah, but why go to Chicago and *literally* live in Jordan's shadow (as opposed to anyplace else, where Jordan is the hypoethetical comp) when you can go to New York and create a new legacy for yourself?

Money isn't an issue for LeBron -- he's an international marketing machine. He'll make more money than he knows what to do with no matter where he ends up playing. He's going to head where the lights are brightest, where the stage is largest, and where he can cement a legacy for hismelf. That's New York (or Brooklyn, if he heads to the Nets).

And don't think David Stern won't be involved, to some extent, in this process. If LeBron is leaving Cleveland, it's in the NBA's best interest to have him in New York -- if for no other reason than to make the franchise competitive again.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Here is what I just don't get with the whole NY thing. LeBron can get the biggest contract, and an extra year, if he stays in Cleveland. Big brand names like Nike and Gatorade are global names, not just NY names. I really don't think LeBron is any less marketable in Cleveland than he is in NY. He may not get as many smaller local endorsements but in reality that can be somewhat offset by the cost of living as well as smaller taxes in Cleveland.

They arent bombarded with those questions everytime something happens like they would in chicago. The only reason NJ is in the mix is marketing potential overseas.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

jredmo2

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Here is what I just don't get with the whole NY thing. LeBron can get the biggest contract, and an extra year, if he stays in Cleveland. Big brand names like Nike and Gatorade are global names, not just NY names. I really don't think LeBron is any less marketable in Cleveland than he is in NY. He may not get as many smaller local endorsements but in reality that can be somewhat offset by the cost of living as well as smaller taxes in Cleveland.
    The main reason I think Lebron is leaving Cleveland is that the Cavs aren't getting dramatically better any time soon. There's no Derrick Rose, Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh, Joe Johnson, David Lee coming to the Cavs. That team you saw this week is the team Lebron's would be playing with, although likely with a new coach and without Shaq. To me it looked like Lebron has had about enough of playing with that those guys, whether that's fair or not.

What if Dallas offered Dirk in a sign-and-trade deal? I wouldn't put it past Cuban to investigate a way to get involved.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post

No one else will matter.
    For the UK fans on here that stay close to the rumors, how much truth is there that Cal might leave in a joint deal with Lebron? I know what he is saying but he said the same things at Memphis and any coach will lie to keep a recruiting class intact.

Also, aren't the Knicks happy with D'Antoni? It seems that the Cavs, Nets, and Bulls would be more logical destinations for the Cal-Lebron package.

Turn Off Ads?