Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 44 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lebron saga

Re: The Lebron saga

I'm not sure that I am mad at LeBron for the way he handled it as much as the decision itself. I'm a Bulls fan and was hoping he would choose Chicago I thought it was as good a fit and as wise a fit for all reasons as there was. Of course I didn't really expect him to sign in Chicago because I thought he would choose to stay home and try to bring them a championship. I just didn't think he could turn his back on an organization and city that really loved him whether he ever won it or not IMO.

Sure they would have been disappointed if he hadn't but he would have been king of Cleveland for the rest of his years regardless. But going to Miami and pairing yourself up with 2 other superstars (1 of his own magnitude which there are few of) to win seems like a cowardly move to me and I think takes alot of the meaning away from it if he/they ever do win now. Sure Boston has done a similiar thing but none of those guys were on Wade or LeBrons level talent wise and none of them were this young.

Wise business move for Lebron in the mold of A-Rod, poor PR move IMO. Oh and while Gilbert will probably get hammered in the media for his letter I like it, it's an honest response even if it's not neccessarily all that "classy". Though I doubt his prediction will hold up very well.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 07-09-2010 at 09:42 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

I just don't see the upside for LeBron in this.
    Perception wise; If he wins, he had to go to Miami and join Chris Bosh and Dwayne Wade to do it. If he doesn't win he's a choker who couldn't even win when he joined two other superstars.
    Wade's already proven he can win a ring without LeBron.

And I agree that the Lakers are still the favorites with a healthy Bynum. I'm not sure I wouldn't bubble wrap Bynum until the post season begins.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I have to agree with Dan Gilbert that it looked like Lebron quit against Boston. He didn't seem to care they were losing and had one foot out the door.

Is that really someone people should be rooting for? That's not what anyone should expect or demand from a multi millionaire athlete.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

IMO Lebron doesn't want to solely shoulder the burden of winning. It sure looked like he checked out in the Boston series. Not every star has the confidence, desire and resolve to carry a team on his back when it counts (Kobe and MJ certainly have it), I am not sure Lebron does.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Well of course they're better than the Big Three now, because the Big Three is quickly turning into the Old Three. But the Celtics star players were all nearing the end of their career, and their talents meshed together perfectly. I'm not sure that's the case in Miami. Having three star players guarantees nothing. How many championships did Elgin Baylor, Jerry West, and Wilt win? That trio is better than this current trio, and they took home zero trophies.
    They are better than the big three when they all went to Boston. I will bet any type of Redszone bet you want that the Heat will be in the finals next year.

I don't think Rose and Lebron would have worked, they both need the ball too much. Wade doesn't need the ball as much, he seems very comfortable getting his shot without having to pound the ball for 10-15 seconds.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I just don't see the upside for LeBron in this.
    Perception wise; If he wins, he had to go to Miami and join Chris Bosh and Dwayne Wade to do it. If he doesn't win he's a choker who couldn't even win when he joined two other superstars.
    Wade's already proven he can win a ring without LeBron.

And I agree that the Lakers are still the favorites with a healthy Bynum. I'm not sure I wouldn't bubble wrap Bynum until the post season begins.
    People tend to erase that Wade had to piggyback off Shaq in order to win that ring as well. It wasn't until Shaq eventually crumbled and left that we saw Dwayne Wade become what LeBron was in Cleveland, a superstar without a supporting cast.

Difference is, LeBron was able to get his team into the playoffs without a decent supporting cast. Put LeBron on any of last years teams with the exception of maybe the Knicks and that team would be a lock for the playoffs. Can't say that about Wade, can you?

The whole LeBron-Pippen comparisons are a bit ridiculous. In order for that to be true, Dwayne Wade would have to be Michael Jordan. Maybe in terms of staying with the team that drafted him that would be true, but the only player in the NBA who even comes close plays in LA.

Put Wade on last years Cleveland team and I doubt they reach the playoffs.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Lebron is a better player than Wade. But Wade led his team to a championship by putting them on his back and carrying them when it counted against the Mavs, something Lebron has been hasn't done (and by the outcome of the Boston series, may be unable to do).

Erik Spoelstra better watch his back. He might find a knife with the initials P.R. in it shortly after the season starts.
    Last edited by texasdave; 07-09-2010 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Erik Spoelstra better watch his back. He might find a knife with the initials P.R. in it shortly after the season starts.

Yep, if they start out slow, Spoelstra could be Van Gundyed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

from Hollinger

Percentages paint a stronger picture. Last season, when they were on the floor, James used 38.2 percent of the Cavs' possessions, Wade used 39.5 percent of Miami's possessions and Bosh used 30.1 percent of Toronto's possessions. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out this can't hold up when they're on the court together -- even if the three of them were to use every single possession, be it a shot, free throw, turnover or assist, they would still have about 8 percent fewer possessions each.
    BTW, Wade and Lebron were #1 and 2 in the league last year in that stat. Maybe the Heat will petition the league for 2 basketballs in play. Eventually this is going to become an issue. To be good both Lebron and Wade need the ball in their hands, they are not shooters.

Jordan brought a championship to Chicago. If Miami wins can it be said that LeBron did the same? No, because D Wade already did that. That is the reason LeBron can no longer reach Jordan status.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Jordan brought a championship to Chicago. If Miami wins can it be said that LeBron did the same? No, because D Wade already did that. That is the reason LeBron can no longer reach Jordan status.
    I think he came to the decision that he really doesn't want to be the alpha dog like Kobe or MJ. They each have that killer instinct and ability to make any perceived slight personal, I don't believe Lebron is wired like that.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I think he came to the decision that he really doesn't want to be the alpha dog like Kobe or MJ. They each have that killer instinct and ability to make any perceived slight personal, I don't believe Lebron is wired like that.
    Which is why Lebron will play the point for this Heat team. He will be the one passing off to Wade or Bosh in the final seconds because he doesn't have the desire to always take the last shot.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

When Lebron was tanking a couple of games against the Celts (he was obviously not fighting) I asked myself, what is going on?

I came up with the belief that lebron didn't want the burden of putting the team on his back and winning it (or losing it) to be solely on him. When you lose by 30 no one player is blamed. But when you lose by a couple and miss the big shot you get the finger pointed your way. IMO he fears failure more than he embraces the desire to win at all costs. That is why he won't be like MJ or Kobe(who I don't like), they each have an enormous pair, no fear and want to take the big shot.

IMO, the spectacle that LeBron has put on this past couple of weeks, and especially last night, represents everything that is wrong with the NBA. It just reminded me of why I've lost 100% interest in the league.

Turn Off Ads?