Turn Off Ads?
Page 38 of 44 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lebron saga

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: The Lebron saga

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports wrote the following on his Twitter page Thursday afternoon, "Unless Cleveland raises multi-year offer that starts around $3.5M, Matt Barnes will sign a 1-year, $1.7M deal with Lakers, sources tell Y!"

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...#ixzz0uSTxIpqY

2. Turn Off Ads?

Matt Barnes has agreed on a two-year, $3.6 million contract with the Lakers, according to Yahoo! Sports.

Barnes will make $1.7 million next season, with a $1.9 million player option for 2011-12. The Cavaliers had offered a guaranteed $7 million over two years with a team option for a third season, but Barnes preferred playing for a championship to a bigger payday.

That Laker-Heat final is going to be amazing.

Blake/Fisher
    Kobe/Brown/Barnes/Vujacic (assuming Brown re-signs)
    Artest/Barnes/Odom/Walton
    Gasol/Odom/Ratliff
    Bynum/Gasol

There's no spot on the floor where the Heat will have a true matchup advantage on the Lakers (unless they play Wade/Lebron/Miller as 1/2/3, in which case they'd have an advantage at PG).

With the versatility of Barnes, and the potential of Ebanks, I wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers let Brown walk. I want him back, though.

I just don't see how the Heat will beat that team. Too much size, too much defense, too much depth.
    Last edited by reds44; 07-23-2010 at 02:59 AM.

I can't imagine what its going to be like when the Heat goes into Cleveland to play next season. Its like honoring Art Modell at the halftime of a home Browns game. The Cleveland crowd is going to be absolutely brutal. They're going to have to call in the National Guard.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

The problem is going to be Gasol. He is a matchup nightmare. The Lakers can win when Kobe doesn't play well (see 2010 Finals), but they can't when Gasol is below average. Bosh/Haslem won't be able to handle him and that will be the difference.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Blake/Fisher
    Kobe/Brown/Barnes/Vujacic (assuming Brown re-signs)
    Artest/Barnes/Odom/Walton
    Gasol/Odom/Ratliff
    Bynum/Gasol

There's no spot on the floor where the Heat will have a true matchup advantage on the Lakers (unless they play Wade/Lebron/Miller as 1/2/3, in which case they'd have an advantage at PG).

With the versatility of Barnes, and the potential of Ebanks, I wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers let Brown walk. I want him back, though.

I just don't see how the Heat will beat that team. Too much size, too much defense, too much depth.
    lol No match up advantage? Lebron destroys Ron Artest. Artest is one of the better guys you can stick on Lebron, but he is too slow to do much.

Kobe is better than Wade, but Kobe can't keep up with Wade. Wade always tears up the Lakers. Considering that, I'd call that a wash (neither can stop each other)

Bosh/Gasol are pretty close as well. Bosh won the head to head stats last season (although I'll admit I haven't looked into it to see if both guarded each other, etc.)... Gasol is a better defender and passer but I'll give Bosh the scoring and rebounding nod. Both suck as #1 options.

As for Bosh/Haslem not handling Gasol, Gasol put up like 19.5 and 9 but only 41.2% FG vs Toronto. 16 and 8.5 on 44% FG vs Miami.

I'll give the LAL a slight advantage at PG duties, but it really depends if Wade or Lebron plays any point. Arroyo/Chalmers isn't far from Blake/Fisher. I think you could argue that its about a wash since Fishers career is basically over.

The only clear advantage is Bynum at center over the Miami scrubs. But, honestly, do you think Bynum is capable of playing an entire year even? If Gasol slides to the 5, he's easily better than the scrubs, but Bosh is >>>> Odom.

Wow.

I've seen fans overvalue their players, but this might take the cake.

An unbiased poster armed only with BasketballReference.com and an open mind might say:

Wade = Bryant
    (You could argue Wade> Kobe, as Wade almost always destroys the Lakers and Bryant is hit or miss. The match-up of the two has historically favored Wade and figures to continue to do so. But, hey, let's call it even, as Bryant might step up in this hypothetical like he didn't against the C's.)

James >>> Artest
    This is the biggest advantage in the game, as James should double Artest's best output in all facets of the game. All of them. He can also play off Artest in the help position, making James, the best defender on the court, the free man Miami might double Bryant with.

Bosh = Gasol
    Gasol's D is overrated and Bosh in perennially underrated. Just because the guy played in Toronto doesn't mean he's junk. Bosh dominates Gasol offensively, trumping the big European by six PPG. Everything else is similar and Bosh is four years younger. Gasol passes better, especially out of the double team.

Fisher, etc. = Chalmers, etc.
    They're about even as even can be and Fisher is more than a decade older. Arroyo and Blake even out as well, especially as back-ups. Only Chalmers has upside enough to improve.

Bynum > Haslem, etc.
    Bynum is better, but only just. Rebounds are even, Bynum's PPG are five points better. But I'd argue Haslem's D (especially against Gasol, who he's managed quite well over their respective careers) evens that out. Bynum gets the edge, as he's younger and trending up, though his brittle nature negates much of that.

Don't undersell Gasol's rebounding. There isn't a better player in the league at getting offensive boards/putbacks. Miami will have no one to keep him off the boards.

The problem the Lakers will have is when the Heat go small. Wade/James could be the first backcourt to average 2 steals/2 blocks a game and stifle the Lakers guards and simply run the slower, less athletic Lakers off the floor. Miami could really be the new Showtime team.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Miami will murder opposing teams in rebounds IMO. Lebron is a great rebounder. Miller and Wade are both good at grabbing boards. Bosh is amazing. Haslem is pretty good. I read somewhere (although I can't find it ATM) that Haslem and Anthony both statistically out rebound their match up by a large margin. I want to say Z does as well. Can't seem to find it right now.

Miami has three premier rebounders per postion: James (T-3), Wade (6), Bosh (4), not to mention Haslem (top 10 PF in limited minutes). Lakers have three in the Top 10 (Bryant and Gasol at third per position and Odom at 9th), but only two premier rebounders.

The Heat are better statistically at rebounding by a decent margin.

Miami's starting five (assuming Chalmers, Wade, James, Bosh, and Haslem) are better rebounders per minute played and percentage of rebounds than the LA starting five (Fisher, Bryant, Artest, Gasol, and Bynum) by a significant margin.

Source: Bulls prepared to add McGrady
    McGrady, 31, would be Chicago's sixth acquisition this offseason, joining Carlos Boozer, Kyle Korver, Ronnie Brewer, C.J. Watson and Kurt Thomas.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nb...=ESPNHeadlines

It seems unwise to hand the East title over to the Heat just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nb...=ESPNHeadlines

It seems unwise to hand the East title over to the Heat just yet.
    Seems like since they didnt get LeBron, Wade, or Bosh Chi-town is going with the other strategy, bringing in a bunch of lower pay guys and have incredible depth rather than superstars and a bunch of scrubs like Miami.

That could be a HUGE acquisition if McGrady can stay healthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Seems like since they didnt get LeBron, Wade, or Bosh Chi-town is going with the other strategy, bringing in a bunch of lower pay guys and have incredible depth rather than superstars and a bunch of scrubs like Miami.

That could be a HUGE acquisition if McGrady can stay healthy.
    True, but Boozer is every bit of an impact acquisition as Bosh. He provides an inside force the bulls haven't had since Artis Gilmore.

I'm kinda interested to see how good the Bulls will be. On paper, it looks good. As for the TMac signing, I'm not sure how it makes the Bulls any better. Might help ticket sales but thats as far as it goes. He was terrible last year. 9.4 PPG 38.9% FG 24.2% 3PT... all in an offensive friendly tempo. The Bulls need some shooters though... hopefully his legs are fresh enough to shoot a better percentage.

PG Rose - Watson
    SG Tmac - Brewer - Korver
    SF Deng - Johnson
    PF Boozer - Gibson
    C Noah - Thomas

Rose-Brewer-Deng-Gibson-Noah is a deadly defensive team. With their new defensive coach, they might be one of the top few defensive teams in the league. It will be interesting to see how Boozer plays. Utah was always a pretty good defensive team despite Boozer being a terrible defender. Playing next to Noah should help mask his lack of any defensive awareness.

What's crazy is that Miami had the #2 defense (OpPPG and OpFG%) last season. It's almost the same team this year. Lebron in for QRich and Bosh in for Beasley.

Turn Off Ads?