Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Devin Mesoraco is 5th on this week's Baseball America Hot Sheet

  1. #1
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Devin Mesoraco is 5th on this week's Baseball America Hot Sheet

    No. 5 DEVIN MESORACO, C, REDS
    Team: high Class A Lynchburg (Carolina)
    Age: 21
    Why He's Here: .440/.560/.800 (11-for-25), 2 2B, 2 3B, 1 HR, 6 RBIs, 4 R, 3 BB, 4 SO, 0-for-1 SB
    The Scoop: How can you not like what Mesoraco is doing? A 2007 first-round pick, he was just plain bad for three straight years. He struggled through injuries, didn't hit, had problems behind the plate and heard criticism from the scouting community about his conditioning. Now he's not just holding his own, he's dominating the competition, putting up some of the best numbers in the Carolina League. The seven passed balls are a little dicey, but he's thrown out 38 percent of the 21 runners attempting to steal against him. Sure, he's repeating the level, so he's had more time to adjust to the speed of the game, but he's in a new league with the Reds' move from the Florida State to the Carolina League, and it's not like he's facing the same pitchers he did a year ago. We'll wait to see if he can replicate his numbers in Double-A before getting too excited, but the Reds couldn't have drawn up a better way for Mesoraco to start the year.

    BLAST FROM THE PAST

    Luis Terrero, rf, Reds. Terrero ranked as the Diamondbacks' No. 11 prospect heading into the 2004 season, but came with the following caveats: "(He's) been a tease for most of his career" and "some fear he could turn into another Ruben Rivera." Terrero, then 24, would see his most extensive big league action in '04, batting 229 times for an 111-loss Arizona club. He hit just .245/.319/.358 with 78 strikeouts in those 62 games, and the D'backs released him unceremoniously at the end of '06 spring training. Terrero proceeded to land one-year gigs with the Orioles, White Sox and Orioles again, totaling a mere 157 big league at-bats. Last season, he latched on with Laguna in the Mexican League, where he batted a robust .345/.440/.603 with 21 homers and 90 RBIs in 388 at-bats. He ranked third in the ML with 54 extra-base hits and continued to hit in the Dominican League. The Reds signed him in January and he's been a welcome addition to their Triple-A Louisville club (after beginning the year with Double-A Carolina). The soon-to-be 30-year-old Terrero went 9-for-18 and belted three home runs this week, bringing his line with the Bats to .406/.406/.750 through 32 at-bats.

    http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...10/269964.html
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,578

    Re: Devin Mesoraco is 5th on this week's Baseball America Hot Sheet

    What a bunch of BS!

    "He was just plain bad for three years." ...is how they start off writing about the guy, instead of doing some research and speaking to people who were his teachers for the last three years. They would have found out that there was nothing bad about him during that time and they could then apologize to everyone for being so uninformed, while acting like they knew what they were talking about.

    Sometimes these people for Baseball America need to have "better" scouts to work with, instead of just sitting in front of computer reading box scores.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-16-2010 at 12:43 AM.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    way-east of cincinnati
    Posts
    1,164

    Re: Devin Mesoraco is 5th on this week's Baseball America Hot Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    What a bunch of BS!

    "He was just plain bad for three years." ...is how they start off writing about the guy, instead of doing some research and speaking to people who were his teachers for the last three years. They would have found out that there was nothing bad about him during that time and they could then apologize to everyone for being so uninformed, while acting like they knew what they were talking about.

    Sometimes these people for Baseball America need to have "better" scouts to work with, instead of just sitting in front of computer reading box scores.
    Awww, you beat me to the point! It ain't just the people at Baseball America though. Those that just read stat sheets aren't any better...

  5. #4
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Devin Mesoraco is 5th on this week's Baseball America Hot Sheet

    Personally, I thought he was bad the last 3 years.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  6. #5
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Devin Mesoraco is 5th on this week's Baseball America Hot Sheet

    From Jamie Ramsey's blog:

    TERRERO, MESORACO HONORED
    Congratulations to Luis Terrero (Louisville) and Devin Mesoraco (Lynchburg) for being named International League Player of the Week and Carolina League Player of the Week, respectively for 5/10-5/16...In 7 games, Terrero went 10-for-30 (.330) with 4 homers, 12 RBI and 6 runs scored...Mesoraco for the week batted a Williams-esque .406 (13-for-32) with 2 HR, 7 RBI and 5 runs...For their efforts, both players will receive a complimentary roof inspection courtesy of Bill Bavasi and 4 other dudes.

    http://ramsey.mlblogs.com/archives/2...ort-51710.html
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,578

    Re: Devin Mesoraco is 5th on this week's Baseball America Hot Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From Jamie Ramsey's blog:

    TERRERO, MESORACO HONORED
    Congratulations to Luis Terrero (Louisville) and Devin Mesoraco (Lynchburg) for being named International League Player of the Week and Carolina League Player of the Week, respectively for 5/10-5/16...In 7 games, Terrero went 10-for-30 (.330) with 4 homers, 12 RBI and 6 runs scored...Mesoraco for the week batted a Williams-esque .406 (13-for-32) with 2 HR, 7 RBI and 5 runs...For their efforts, both players will receive a complimentary roof inspection courtesy of Bill Bavasi and 4 other dudes.

    http://ramsey.mlblogs.com/archives/2...ort-51710.html
    Yes. Congratulations to both!

  8. #7
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    6,490

    Re: Devin Mesoraco is 5th on this week's Baseball America Hot Sheet

    Yeah there is no way anyone would look at Mesoraco's numbers and play the last three years and think positive thoughts.

    FYI - Most of Baseball America's comments when ranking players at the end of the season come directly from the team's Front office and their scouts. Almost an embarrassing amount of info.

    If you want to know what the Reds Front Office thinks their prospects are ranked - the BA rankings are usually a pretty good starting point.

    So realize those negative BA comments probably came from one of the Reds coaches, scouts or Front Officer personel. And were probably shared by more than one guy.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Devin Mesoraco is 5th on this week's Baseball America Hot Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    Yeah there is no way anyone would look at Mesoraco's numbers and play the last three years and think positive thoughts.

    FYI - Most of Baseball America's comments when ranking players at the end of the season come directly from the team's Front office and their scouts. Almost an embarrassing amount of info.

    If you want to know what the Reds Front Office thinks their prospects are ranked - the BA rankings are usually a pretty good starting point.

    So realize those negative BA comments probably came from one of the Reds coaches, scouts or Front Officer personel. And were probably shared by more than one guy.
    I'm guessing front offices wished it was that easy. Every player would be ranked in the proverbial top 10

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,578

    Re: Devin Mesoraco is 5th on this week's Baseball America Hot Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post

    So realize those negative BA comments probably came from one of the Reds coaches, scouts or Front Officer personel. And were probably shared by more than one guy.
    I doubt that very much. They aren't that ill-informed. They have excellent scouts. I'm sure they saw everything I saw and everything I saw showed me that Mesoraco was improving at a very consistent pace throughout the last 3 years.

  11. #10
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Devin Mesoraco is 5th on this week's Baseball America Hot Sheet

    Oh come on.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  12. #11
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,439

    Re: Devin Mesoraco is 5th on this week's Baseball America Hot Sheet

    I have seen things in Mesoraco in the past to keep me believing in him.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Devin Mesoraco is 5th on this week's Baseball America Hot Sheet

    Mesoraco showed a lot of things for sure over the last few years. you have to look hard to find the positives for the most part but they are promising once you find them.

  14. #13
    Member Captain Hook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    columbus,ohio
    Posts
    2,223

    Re: Devin Mesoraco is 5th on this week's Baseball America Hot Sheet

    I've seen a good deal of discussion on Mesoraco in RZ.Seem like there's a good number of people here that never gave up on him.

    Now that he's doing so well when can we expect to see him up with the Reds?It would be nice if the team could let Hernandez walk and plug in a young catcher to team up with Hanigan next year.

  15. #14
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,439

    Re: Devin Mesoraco is 5th on this week's Baseball America Hot Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    I've seen a good deal of discussion on Mesoraco in RZ.Seem like there's a good number of people here that never gave up on him.

    Now that he's doing so well when can we expect to see him up with the Reds?It would be nice if the team could let Hernandez walk and plug in a young catcher to team up with Hanigan next year.
    Next year is not likely unless we are talking August.

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,558

    Re: Devin Mesoraco is 5th on this week's Baseball America Hot Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I have seen things in Mesoraco in the past to keep me believing in him.
    So have I. Given his ages, the difficulty of the leagues he's been in, the difficulty of learning to catch, I think you could see progress over the last two years--if you looked inside the numbers a bit.

    Interesting there's no mention of the fact that Terrero was apparently switch hitting in 2004, then he dropped it later. I'm kind of hopeful that maybe he's just finally figuring it out as a strictly right-hander.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25