Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Devin Mesoraco is 5th on this week's Baseball America Hot Sheet

Resident PED Expert

Re: Devin Mesoraco is 5th on this week's Baseball America Hot Sheet

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    I've seen a good deal of discussion on Mesoraco in RZ.Seem like there's a good number of people here that never gave up on him.

Now that he's doing so well when can we expect to see him up with the Reds?It would be nice if the team could let Hernandez walk and plug in a young catcher to team up with Hanigan next year.
    More likely to see a part time Vet in Miller, who is a good clubhouse guy as well as decent defensive backstop or Castillo who speaks spanish and plays a multitude of positions effectively. Denove would be next in line.

2. Turn Off Ads?

With Cueto speaking limited english (and at the very least being more comfortable speaking spanish) and with Chapman speaking limited to no english, it is pretty important for one of the Reds catchers to speak fluent spanish in my opinion.

Next year I want Cueto and Chapman feeling as comfortable as possible, so in my opinion a spanish speaking catcher is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Oh come on.
    I said three years, but I meant two years. The first year+ , I just didn't have an opinion as I hadn't seen enough of him to make one. So, it took a year to gather enough information together from people like dougdirt and others on this site who had been watching him first hand. Two years ago, they had me convinced of his timeline and growth in a positive manner. The information was out there. Then I got to see him for myself last year a few times in person, and that cemented what those other posters had already said the year before.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    With Cueto speaking limited english (and at the very least being more comfortable speaking spanish) and with Chapman speaking limited to no english, it is pretty important for one of the Reds catchers to speak fluent spanish in my opinion.

Next year I want Cueto and Chapman feeling as comfortable as possible, so in my opinion a spanish speaking catcher is important.
    I thought I remembered someone around here saying Hanigan had taken some Spanish classes.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From Jamie Ramsey's blog:

TERRERO, MESORACO HONORED
    Congratulations to Luis Terrero (Louisville) and Devin Mesoraco (Lynchburg) for being named International League Player of the Week and Carolina League Player of the Week, respectively for 5/10-5/16...In 7 games, Terrero went 10-for-30 (.330) with 4 homers, 12 RBI and 6 runs scored...Mesoraco for the week batted a Williams-esque .406 (13-for-32) with 2 HR, 7 RBI and 5 runs...For their efforts, both players will receive a complimentary roof inspection courtesy of Bill Bavasi and 4 other dudes.

http://ramsey.mlblogs.com/archives/2...ort-51710.html
    I bolded myfavorite part. Now we know what Bill Bavasi does!

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I thought I remembered someone around here saying Hanigan had taken some Spanish classes.
    These guys don't need to be total masters of English to communicate on a baseball diamond. They need to know a few key phrases for the game. I'm sure these guys know things like "hit the glove," "there he goes," "get it over," and "cover first."

I think the language thing is about as overblown as anything. If more needs said, guys like Cabrera or a Spanish speaking coach are always around to deal with it. Its not like these guys never learn any English. I'm guessing Cueto, Volquez and Chapman all know the English baseball terminology. The catcher's language skills won't mean anything to these guys when they're at the store, in the bar cruising for women or dealing with some one who wants money for some reason and that's where the language stuff matters. By the time Hernandez is gone, these guys will know enough English.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Fangraphs on Devin Mesoraco:

Devin Mesoraco, Reds, 22, High-A, .328/.418/.608

Was written off a little fast, considering his first two seasons were the Midwest League at 20 (.710 OPS, 83 G) and the Florida State League at 21 (.692 OPS, 92 G). He’s healthy now, and in the same place as a lot of his peers that chose to attend college instead. Showing every skill, including improved defense. I think he was written off too early, but I wait to see how he handles Double-A to elevate his prospect status too heavily.
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...ound-catchers/

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I have seen things in Mesoraco in the past to keep me believing in him.
    I agree with you on Mes, mostly because of age and level. He had time, and there was no reason to label him a bust. He's having a fantastic season so far, and if he's promoted to AA everyone hopes he'll continue to hit and progress behind the plate.

But sometimes we emphasize what we want a player to be rather than what he is. For me it was Tyler Pelland, who I thought was going to be a dominant LH starter. I kept seeing the big K numbers and ignoring the huge BB's allowed. None of us is innocent of this.

I just happen to think you are right. this time.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

typically a player graduates from high school at age 18. i think most true major league players reach the bigs no later than age 25 (26 for pitchers). there are exceptions. role players sometimes show up later & have a few years in the bigs. late bloomers like Nelson Cruz are fairly rare.
    that gives a high school player 7-8 years to get through rookie, A, A+, AA & AAA. if he goes one year at a time he would in A+ at age 20 & be a rookie at age 23.

college players typically are drafted at age 21 or 22. then they go through rookie, maybe A, A+, AA & AAA. it seems like most high round picks out of college go to rookie ball then start their first full season in A+ at age 22 or 23. if they went one year at a time they would be a rookie at age 25 or 26.

so it seems to me that guys drafted out of high school can struggle at a level, repeat it the next year & still be on track to make it to the bigs fairly young. lesser college prospects who start A+ ball at age 23 are really under the gun. they really can't afford many setbacks.

Turn Off Ads?