Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Sailing, anyone?

Sailing, anyone?

I took up sailing late this summer and today was lucky enough to crew a winning boat in a race on lake Monroe.

Just wondering if anyone else here sails? We'll be looking to buy a cruiser next summer.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sailing, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I took up sailing late this summer and today was lucky enough to crew a winning boat in a race on lake Monroe.

Just wondering if anyone else here sails? We'll be looking to buy a cruiser next summer.
    I am a big sailer. Funny enough I sailed a lot more when I lived in Ohio than I do now that I live in California.

I grew up racing small boats and raced pretty much every weekend durning the summer at Cowan Lake near Wilmington, Ohio. Not going to Cowan every weekend is one of the things I miss most about Ohio.

I never got into just crusing too much although I do enjoy it. It's just hard for me to be in a boat and not want to race.

What are you looking at buying?

My wife sailed at Cowan Lake! She raced her Laser there and her parents had a Flying Scot. When she was a kid she was up there about every weekend too.

We belong to the Lake Monroe Sailing Association, which seems to be a swap meet of Catalina and Hunter 25s. My guess is we'll probably end up in one of those, if only because it means we'll be able to get help from other owners.
    Our price range will have us looking at something from the mid 80s, or maybe even from the 70s...as long as they aren't in bad shape.

The goal is really to have something that our kids can learn on and enjoy- like a camper on the lake. A little different than racing for sure.

My wife sailed at Cowan Lake! She raced her Laser there and her parents had a Flying Scot. When she was a kid she was up there about every weekend too.

We belong to the Lake Monroe Sailing Association, which seems to be a swap meet of Catalina and Hunter 25s. My guess is we'll probably end up in one of those, if only because it means we'll be able to get help from other owners.
    Our price range will have us looking at something from the mid 80s, or maybe even from the 70s...as long as they aren't in bad shape.

The goal is really to have something that our kids can learn on and enjoy- like a camper on the lake. A little different than racing for sure.
    Very cool. I probably know your wife. I sailed Scot's as well.

Either of those are good for the crusing circuit. I'm a little more familar with Catalina's, but I've heard good things about Hunters too. You definately want to make sure that the previous owner took good care of her though. Nothing worse than getting a run down boat and there are a lot of them out there.

Yeah, I'm not thrilled about buying something that old, but I'll be sure to get a good survey on whatever we buy. Granted, there's sure to be some work involved, but I have seen some good prospects. If this one is still for sale next Spring I'll go give it a look.

Cat 25

Strictly Sail has a Cat25 and a Hunter25 at their lot, too. But I'm really hoping they can't move this Seaward and are willing to take a little less for it. That would be a heck of a buy for anything less than 10K if the boat is as sound as it seems.

My wife's family are named Duffy. They had a slip at Cowan through the 70s and 80s.

Forgot to mention that a coworker put me in touch with a friend who is selling an O'day 23. We'll look at it and if the wind is fair we'll take her for a spin.

This thread just reminded me of a Christopher Cross song.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Yeah, I'm not thrilled about buying something that old, but I'll be sure to get a good survey on whatever we buy. Granted, there's sure to be some work involved, but I have seen some good prospects. If this one is still for sale next Spring I'll go give it a look.

Cat 25

Strictly Sail has a Cat25 and a Hunter25 at their lot, too. But I'm really hoping they can't move this Seaward and are willing to take a little less for it. That would be a heck of a buy for anything less than 10K if the boat is as sound as it seems.

My wife's family are named Duffy. They had a slip at Cowan through the 70s and 80s.
    That one looks nice. That is exactly the type of back story you want to see on a used boat.

They were there a little before me. My family started on Cowan in 92 and we moved in 05.

* Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

We ended up buying an O'day 23, a pretty good boat for weekend cruising. Here is a picture of it, on a mooring ball at Lake Monroe. And another of the first mate.

Hey Judge, My Dingy is bigger than your whole boat!!!

Nice Caddyshack recall

Turn Off Ads?