Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rays Designate Pat Burrell For Assignment

Rays Designate Pat Burrell For Assignment

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Rays Designate Pat Burrell For Assignment
    By Mike Axisa [May 15 at 11:45am CST]
    The Rays have designated Pat Burrell for assignment, reports Tony Fabrizio of The Tampa Tribune. The move frees up a roster spot for Hank Blalock, who will join the team today.

Burrell, 33, has been a major disappointment since signing a two year, $16MM contract prior to last season. Brought in to help balance out the lineup against lefties, Burrell has hit just .218/.311/.361 in 572 plate appearances since signing. He's been even worse than that against southpaws, if you can believe it.

Tampa now has ten days to trade, release, or waive Pat the Bat, but they still owe him $9MM for this season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rays Designate Pat Burrell For Assignment

Should the Reds try to make a deal for Pat "The Bat" Burrell? What should the Reds offer? I think Burrell could be a upgrade on the bench at least. Plus this could possibly get Cairo off the 40 man roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    Should the Reds try to make a deal for Pat "The Bat" Burrell? What should the Reds offer? I think Burrell could be a upgrade on the bench at least. Plus this could possibly get Cairo off the 40 man roster.
    No. Gomes is Pat Burrell at this point, but arguably a better option. I'd much rather just take my chances with Gomes.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

He's probably done for his career.

His line drive rates are way down, and he's swinging at a lot more pitches outside the strikezone. Signs of a slowing bat, happens to them all, usually at the age that Burrell is now.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

In the abstract I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him, but he doesn't add anything we don't get from Gomes.

Some AL team will take a chance on him, maybe the Mariners.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Would he be better thain Cairo? Plus how bad is Nix hurt?

You trade for him you have to pay him that ridiculous salary, plus, he's likely done for and can't play D of any kind.
    Go Gators!

Thanks for the info Kronored. So looks like we can find better internal options to replace Cairo.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I guess he wasn't a Dunn clone from the RH side, he wore out a lot faster.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    You trade for him you have to pay him that ridiculous salary, plus, he's likely done for and can't play D of any kind.
    Nobody's taking his salary, or more than a little of it, the Rays are going to be stuck with that.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    I guess he wasn't a Dunn clone from the RH side, he wore out a lot faster.
    He's got a few years on Dunner. Burrell put up a .902 OPS during his age 30 season. That said, he's never had Dunn's power. When Dunn starts to go, I imagine he'll go quite quickly as well.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

If we could get him for (basically) free, he'd be worth a shot. Could be Gomes' platoon partner, as he has hit righties better than lefties for the last two years...

Maybe now is the time to spin this into a larger deal that includes Alonso and Brignac.
    Go BLUE!!!

if I'm in charge(and lucky for y'all I'm not)and I think I have a chance to go somewhere I definitely don't want Burrell. If I need a bat off the bench I'm calling Bonds, Barry Bonds. Him and his baggage could still help someone in big spots even after all this time I'd bet.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Jonny Gomes 2009
    314PA, .267AVG/.338OBP/.541SLG/.879OPS
    Jonny Gomes 2010
    104PA, .281AVG/.308OBP/.448SLG/.756OPS
    Pat Burrell 2009
    476PA, 221AVG/.315OBP/.367SLG/.682OPS
    Pat Burrell 2010
    96PA, .202AVG/.292OBP/.333SLG/.625OPS

Not to mention Burrell is almost four years older.

2009 Splits. Burrell had a 719OPS against RHP, 588OPS against LHP
    Gomes - 859OPS against RHP, .914OPS against LHP.

Those #s continue in 2010.

Pass - Gomes is better, cheaper & younger. And already employed by the team.
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 05-15-2010 at 05:47 PM.

Pluses>
    1. Awesome nickname.

Negatives>
    1. Everything else.

Turn Off Ads?