Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunday 05/16/10 Minor League Updates

Sunday 05/16/10 Minor League Updates

Carolina has now won nine of their last eleven games and will look to continue their red hot play in game two of the five game series with the Suns today at 2:00 when the Mudcats will send Daryl Thompson to the hill and the Suns (24-11) will counter with Tom Koehler.

Three guys that have been instrumental in the recent resurgence for Carolina are, Eric Eymann at 3B, Jake Kahaulelio at 2B, and Kris Negron at SS.

I've got the Reds/Cards on Extra Innings but am seriously considering going to the Mudcats game today. Rain is a good possibilty here so we'll see how that works out.
    Last edited by muddie; 05-16-2010 at 09:32 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sunday 05/16/10 Minor League Updates

Negron, with a .770 OPS and a .384 OBP while playing well at SS, may be an overlooked sleeper in the Reds system.

Good pick-up.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Negron, with a .770 OPS and a .384 OBP while playing well at SS, may be an overlooked sleeper in the Reds system.

Good pick-up.

The OBP and speed is an interesting combination for the SS position.

Bats @ Rochester - 1:05

Burke DH .243
    Cozart SS .279
    Alonso LF .385
    Balentien RF .200
    Terrero CF .366
    Sutton 1B .222
    Valaika 2B .325
    Frazier 3B .200
    Castillo C .247

Maloney P 3.14

Decision made, heading out to the Mudcats game. The sun is in and out and that's good enough for a game.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Alonso on fire again today. 1-1 with a BB and a SB

Bats up 2-0 in the bottom of the 4th.

Maloney - 5IP - 3H - 2BB - 5K

Pitches-strikes: Maloney 85-44

Bats up 3-0 in the 6th

Maloney is probably ready to help the big league club right now, but who's place would he take? Each pitcher in the rotation has pitched well over his last start, and four start averages are also really decent.

Great to have depth.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

The Bats' bullpen is failing them.

Bats down 4-3 in the 7th, Redwings still batting

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Maloney is probably ready to help the big league club right now, but who's place would he take? Each pitcher in the rotation has pitched well over his last start, and four start averages are also really decent.

Great to have depth.
    I think I would like to see Maloney take over for Leake some time in early August. Leake is likely to hit his innings quota around then. I know some will say that Leake can go more innings because he is a finesse guy, but I really want to handle him with kid gloves. Maloney has gone 146 innings at least in each of the past 4 years, topping out at 170.2 innings in 2007. I think he is a good candidate to go 180 innings this year and might be a good starter for August and September.

I guess Leake may be more prepared for 150+ IP than I thought originally. Apparently, Leake threw 142 innings for AZ St. last year and then 19.2 innings in the AFL. He may be a candidate to throw 175 innings this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I guess Leake may be more prepared for 150+ IP than I thought originally. Apparently, Leake threw 142 innings for AZ St. last year and then 19.2 innings in the AFL. He may be a candidate to throw 175 innings this year.
    Just keep in mind that Leake was dealing with tendinitis towards the end of the college season last year. Remember Edinson Volquez is due back sometime in late July as well.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

I suspect we'll need at least Maloney and, if he's ready to go, Volquez, before it's over.

Alonso 2 for 3 with a walk.

Daryl Thompson left the game pointing at his shoulder while he talked to the trainer, from Ben Badler's twitter page.

Turn Off Ads?