Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sunday 05/16/10 Minor League Updates

Re: Sunday 05/16/10 Minor League Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Andrew Miller is in AA now? Wow. I'd try to buy low if I could, although the Marlins aren't fools.
    I'm guessing this is a rehab start for him, don't know for sure. I would hope he is not viewed as a AA player at this point...but I don't know.

The irony in this for me is that I saw him pitch a rehab start here for the Mudcats two years ago when the Mudcats were a Florida AA affiliate. While with Detroit, Miller was traded for one of the most successful Mudcats of all time, Miguel Cabrera. The guy is back but sitting in the 'other' dugout this time. I'm thinking Miller may not be the guy he was projected to be back when.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Dave Sappelt singled in two runs with two outs in the bottom of the ninth to give Carolina an 8-7 victory. The Mudcats had led early, 6-1, but the bullpen squandered the lead in the late innings.

Also today, the Lynchburg and Louisville bullpens squandered leads in the seventh inning. This comes after Dayton's bullpen squandered a lead last night in the 14th. It's an epidemic.
    These bullpen meltdowns have me wondering about a health update on some guys who could help. Bill Bray, Jared Burton and Mace Thurman. Particularly interested in what the deal is with Thurman. I missed the details on his injury.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    I say it's time to push the guy up a notch in the system. Let Power work with him nad his control. Adkins has become ineffective and a non factor to the big league club. Valiquette could be a legitimate candidate in taking Rhodes role over next season if Bray is still having arm, elbow and shoulder complications.
    Guy has a 4.76 ERA, he doesn't need a promtion yet. Valiquette has huge guns. Just doesn't look "pitcher-like". Anyone else see that? Muddie?

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Do we know that Leake has an innings quota? I think he threw more innings last year than Maloney and he's exactly a high stress thrower.
    I have no idea about whether or not Leake has a set season innings quota. I just sort of hope so. Maloney threw more innings in their regular seasons, but Leake did pitch after a long layoff for 19 and 2/3 in the Arizona Fall League.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Just keep in mind that Leake was dealing with tendinitis towards the end of the college season last year. Remember Edinson Volquez is due back sometime in late July as well.
    Volquez would be a nice replacement for Leake's spot in the rotation, too. I guess with the discussion of Maloney being put in the Reds' rotation, I was thinking of the best candidate to be replaced rather than who would be the best candidate to take an opening. I hope the starters recent run of success keeps up and we don't have any quality related issues and we can be talking about innings quotas.

Quote Originally Posted by Orenda View Post
    The OBP and speed is an interesting combination for the SS position.
    It is if you've been a REDS' fan the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Daryl Thompson left the game pointing at his shoulder while he talked to the trainer, from Ben Badler's twitter page.
    hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    This is what I saw while at the game...

Thompson took a hard hit grounder off, what appeared to be, his right foot during the top of the fifth inning with one out. The ball was deflected to the shortstop who played the ball and threw the runner out at first. Thompson threw one pitch after that and stepped off the back of the mound toward second base. After a brief discussion with Negron, Bell and Mattocks (manager and trainer), rush out to the mound. After some discussion Thompson and company head for the dugout. I believe this is a foot injury rather than an arm issue.
    That's a relief.

Quote Originally Posted by aubashbrother View Post
    When is the Daryl Thompson as a starter plan gonna end ?
    Probably not for at least another year and a half or another major injury, whichever comes first.

Thompson isnt on the 40 man so its not like they are exactly in a rush to make that choice also. Hes also still only 24 which honestly is pretty young all things considered.

Turn Off Ads?