Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunday 05/16/10 Minor League Updates

Re: Sunday 05/16/10 Minor League Updates

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Daryl Thompson left the game pointing at his shoulder while he talked to the trainer, from Ben Badler's twitter page.
    When is the Daryl Thompson as a starter plan gonna end ? Stick him in the pen where his stuff should play up

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Maloney is probably ready to help the big league club right now, but who's place would he take? Each pitcher in the rotation has pitched well over his last start, and four start averages are also really decent.

Great to have depth.
    I would call up Maloney to replace Fisher. use Maloney as the long man out of the pen.

Daryl Thompson left the game pointing at his shoulder while he talked to the trainer, from Ben Badler's twitter page.
    The poor guy, there is only so much duct tape, baling twine, and super glue.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Maybe its Thompson thats insisting on starting. I dont know if they would let him make that choice but he might be trying to force their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I think I would like to see Maloney take over for Leake some time in early August. Leake is likely to hit his innings quota around then. I know some will say that Leake can go more innings because he is a finesse guy, but I really want to handle him with kid gloves. Maloney has gone 146 innings at least in each of the past 4 years, topping out at 170.2 innings in 2007. I think he is a good candidate to go 180 innings this year and might be a good starter for August and September.
    Do we know that Leake has an innings quota? I think he threw more innings last year than Maloney and he's exactly a high stress thrower.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    I would call up Maloney to replace Fisher. use Maloney as the long man out of the pen.
    The way the Reds starters are rolling right now, I don't think Matt would get enough work in. Leave him in Louisville to keep him on a regular schedule.

But that being said...I'd still consider sending Fisher back to Louisville and bring up an extra bat instead. 1 too many bullpen arms for my taste right now.

The Reds already have a long man, his name is Micah Owings and he hardly ever pitches. Why would we need another one?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    The Reds already have a long man, his name is Micah Owings and he hardly ever pitches. Why would we need another one?
    Because it would also free Baker to use Micah Owings as a pinch hitter in higher-leverage situations late in the game without fearing that he might need him if the game goes to extras.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Because it would also free Baker to use Micah Owings as a pinch hitter in higher-leverage situations late in the game without fearing that he might need him if the game goes to extras.
    The days of Owings giving you anything useful with his bat are done now that he's a reliever.

Dave Sappelt singled in two runs with two outs in the bottom of the ninth to give Carolina an 8-7 victory. The Mudcats had led early, 6-1, but the bullpen squandered the lead in the late innings.

Also today, the Lynchburg and Louisville bullpens squandered leads in the seventh inning. This comes after Dayton's bullpen squandered a lead last night in the 14th. It's an epidemic.

This is what I saw while at the game...

Thompson took a hard hit grounder off, what appeared to be, his right foot during the top of the fifth inning with one out. The ball was deflected to the shortstop who played the ball and threw the runner out at first. Thompson threw one pitch after that and stepped off the back of the mound toward second base. After a brief discussion with Negron, Bell and Mattocks (manager and trainer), rush out to the mound. After some discussion Thompson and company head for the dugout. I believe this is a foot injury rather than an arm issue. I'll look into this.

It is a shame in that Thompson was really in control and was very sharp. He was one out from being eligible for a win. His pitch speeds were 59-95 during his time on the mound today. He had a very good off speed pitch that was a beautiful compliment to his fast ball. He was using his fastball to set up the off speed pitch, and done a really good job of it.

He handled the bat extrememly well also. He was two for two with two RBI. He punched an outside pitch right over the first baseman's mitt to drive in two runs. I told my wife that he could not have thrown the ball in a better spot if he had wanted to. He waited on the pitch and just punched it into right field.

I'm planning on getting out to tomorrow's game although the forecast is ugly. It is Tom Cochran versus the fading Andrew Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    This is what I saw while at the game...

Thompson took a hard hit grounder off, what appeared to be, his right foot during the top of the fifth inning with one out. The ball was deflected to the shortstop who played the ball and threw the runner out at first. Thompson threw one pitch after that and stepped off the back of the mound toward second base. After a brief discussion with Negron, Bell and Mattocks (manager and trainer), rush out to the mound. After some discussion Thompson and company head for the dugout. I believe this is a foot injury rather than an arm issue. I'll look into this.

It is a shame in that Thompson was really in control and was very sharp. He was one out from being eligible for a win. His pitch speeds were 59-95 during his time on the mound today. He had a very good off speed pitch that was a beautiful compliment to his fast ball. He was using his fastball to set up the off speed pitch, and done a really good job of it.

He handled the bat extrememly well also. He was two for two with two RBI. He punched an outside pitch right over the first baseman's mitt to drive in two runs. I told my wife that he could not have thrown the ball in a better spot if he had wanted to. He waited on the pitch and just punched it into right field.

I'm planning on getting out to tomorrow's game although the forecast is ugly. It is Tom Cochran versus the fading Andrew Miller.
    Andrew Miller is in AA now? Wow. I'd try to buy low if I could, although the Marlins aren't fools.
    Go BLUE!!!

From Conner Glassey of Baseball America:

#Reds LHP Philippe Valiquette sitting 94-96 mph, touched 98 with armside run for Mudcats. Highlight of the day, for me.

http://twitter.com/conorglassey

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Maybe its Thompson thats insisting on starting. I dont know if they would let him make that choice but he might be trying to force their hands.
    I would say a switch between him and Jordan Smith might be in both their best interests. Smith has been horrible out of the pen. Switch Smith back to the rotation and Thompson down to closer.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From Conner Glassey of Baseball America:

#Reds LHP Philippe Valiquette sitting 94-96 mph, touched 98 with armside run for Mudcats. Highlight of the day, for me.

http://twitter.com/conorglassey
    I say it's time to push the guy up a notch in the system. Let Power work with him nad his control. Adkins has become ineffective and a non factor to the big league club. Valiquette could be a legitimate candidate in taking Rhodes role over next season if Bray is still having arm, elbow and shoulder complications.

Turn Off Ads?