Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: So if the Cardinals lose tonight...what happens?

So if the Cardinals lose tonight...what happens?

As far as the champagne celebration? Honestly as a fan, I would feel slightly cheated out of a chance to see the team I live and die with have a clubhouse champagne celebration. I've looked forward to that for a decade now.

So tonight, does the team get together at the ballpark to watch the Cardinals game and if they lose celebrate away? Do they watch from thier livingrooms and just bypass the champagne and play the game tomorrow?

If they do watch at the park and have the celebration, will FSN Ohio be there to break in live?

It would just seem kind of anticlimactic to win the division tonight on a Cardinals loss.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this issue.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Re: So if the Cardinals lose tonight...what happens?

Fay has some insight about that: http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...tion-tomorrow/

Quote:
    The team considered having some sort of gathering but decided against it.

“It’s the time of year to rest,” Baker said. “Guys have stuff to do. They have family stuff, plus you’ve seen these guys 156 games already, you need some personal time, some family time. Probably some guys will prepare to move out of their places. Some guys only have leases until October 1. There’s a lot to do.”
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

In 90' the Reds were in a rain delay when they clinched the division.

But they made up for it by winning the NLCS at home.

One down side to the 75' 76' and 90' series is the Reds won the final game in all 3 series on the road. There hasn't been a onfield celebration for a WS in Cincy since 1940.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Worth The Wait

First of all, GO Cards tonight...I really hope they win...

Secondly, I think the "solution" would be simple...if the Cards lose tonight, then we pop the champagne in the locker room after the game tomorrow regardless of what the Reds do.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post

One down side to the 75' 76' and 90' series is the Reds won the final game in all 3 series on the road. There hasn't been a onfield celebration for a WS in Cincy since 1940.
    I know you meant for the Reds, but there were probably onfield celebrations in 1961 and 1972 (at crosley and riverfront)...

I just want them to clinch. I couldn't care less where and when it happens. Things happen as they should, everyone will celebrate in good time.

Food for thought, though: the Pirates have won 15 games on the road. Fifteen. All season. Total.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post

Secondly, I think the "solution" would be simple...if the Cards lose tonight, then we pop the champagne in the locker room after the game tomorrow regardless of what the Reds do.
    I think you're right on. If the Cards lose today then the celebration will have wait until after Tuesday's game

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think you're right on. If the Cards lose today then the celebration will have wait until after Tuesday's game
    If the Cards lose to night I fully expect to see an infield tomorrow of Yonder, Valakia, Janish, and Francisco.

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    I'm not trying to single you out, because I have been hearing people say stuff like this all day. But this is absurd to me. The Reds need to clinch ASAP. I for one will be rooting like crazy for the Cards to lose.

First, we shouldn't take anything for granted. I just wonder how people would feel on Thursday if the Cards win, then win the next 2 games, and the Reds lose the next 2 games. That's not exactly an absurd series of events.

Second (and probably more importantly), the sooner they clinch the sooner they can start resting guys and resetting the rotation.

In any event, if you had told at the beginning of the year that the thing I would be most upset about going into the last week of the season was that there was a chance the Reds would clinch on an off day, well, I probably wouldn't have believed you.

I could care less how it's celebrated and certainly won't wish for a Cardinal win.

Get it over, it's the 1st step that's all, save the celebration for later.

The Cardinals will do whatever they do; the important thing is what the Reds do.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    save the celebration for later.
    That's what I was going to say. Celebrate a playoff series win or a pennant win. Some people seem ready to schedule a parade over clinching.
    /r/reds

Be like the Lakers, don't celebrate until you win it all.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    Be like the Lakers, don't celebrate until you win it all.
    Im clinching over the wait to clinch.... TMI?

I'd love to see them celebrate at home, on the field for the division.

But, I'd much rather see them celebrate an 11-0 postseason record on the field at The Trop. Although, celebrating an 11-2 postseason record at home, in Game 6 would also be just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Turn Off Ads?