Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Reds to sign Cuban OF Felix Perez

Re: Reds to sign Cuban OF Felix Perez

I don't know how this thread turned into a pro/con on Drew Stubbs when it is titled for Felix Perez but count me on the side that agrees without whomever says that Drew Stubbs looks awfully clueless at the plate 75% of the time.

That said, how about this Perez kid... umm... err... adult? Seems to be raking.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kheidg- View Post
    I don't know how this thread turned into a pro/con on Drew Stubbs when it is titled for Felix Perez but count me on the side that agrees without whomever says that Drew Stubbs looks awfully clueless at the plate 75% of the time.

That said, how about this Perez kid... umm... err... adult? Seems to be raking.
    As long as he capitalizes during the 25% of the time he doesn't look clueless, he'll be fine. He'll never hit for a high batting average nor make lots of contact, but he'll compensate for that with elite speed, elite defense, and above-average power. But back to the topic . . .

You have to be pleased with what Felix Perez has done so far. Not including his Dominican numbers, this is what he is on pace to do over 162 games:
    Code:
    G	PA	AB	R	H	2B	3B	HR	RBI	SB	CS	BB	SO	BA	OBP	SLG	OPS	TB	GDP	HBP	SH	SF	IBB
    162	735	665	87	226	41	12	6	81	23	17	35	104	.339	.394	.461	.855	307	12	29	0	6	6
    If he can do that consistently, he'll be a superstar, but unfortunately, that's pretty unsustainable. He needs to stay in AA, work on his plate discipline, and figure out what adjustments he needs to make once he's facing the same pitchers for the second/third/fourth/etc. time.

Stubbs needs to be more aggressive in the strike zone, especially with two strikes. He's taken more called third strikes than any guy with his power and speed combination ought to.

A nice article on the guy. I think some have wondered if he's a bit of a loner, but maybe he just can't relate that well yet. I wish the best for the guy.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/08/...ats-perez.html
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

-The Insider-

Really good article. Perez is a great guy for not being able to communicate with me. I really like him.

I'm not saying Reds fans should get extremely excited about Felix Perez, but it seems like a lot of people gave up on him last season. However, he's having a minor rebound year in AAA while showing more patience at the plate. Depending on how events unfold, maybe he could force himself into the conversation of being a bench player in Cincinnati down the line.

Entering today, he has a line of .297/.347/.400/.747 while playing all 3 outfield spots for Louisville.

In 55 ABs this year, Perez is putting up a .300/.364/.520 line in Louisville, after last year's .301/.348/.401 in 400+ ABs.

While Derrick Robinson has been playing well enough, I wonder at what point you have to give Perez a chance. He's not really a prospect, as he's 28, but with reportedly solid defense and that bat, he seems like he'd be a solid candidate for the fifth outfield spot with a little more upside than Robinson.

Wonder where Walt and company stand on him, he doesn't seem to get a lot of press.

With the way Heisey is playing, I almost wouldn't mind seeing him get a minor injury that forces a stint on the 15 day DL so Perez can get an opportunity.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

-The Insider-

He has a hose of an arm too. I wouldn't be upset if he got a chance.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

With another bomb yesterday, Felix Perez has already tied his career high for HR with four. His line in 109 PAs is .286/.349/.510. His ISO is .224. Perez showed significiant progress last year with a .301/.348/.401 line in 428 AAA PAs. If Perez's power sticks, he could become the answer for who the Reds LF is on Opening Day 2014, if Ludwick can not return from his injury. Clearly 109 PAs is not enough to draw major conclusions from, but 109 PAs like this at such a high level can bring a guy back into the important prospect discussion.

13. Likes:

lollipopcurve (05-06-2013)

Having watched the Bats some on MILB TV, I can say that Perez looks like the best hitter in that lineup. It's early yet, but I've been impressed.

Starting to look like this guy needs to be given a chance to fill the Ludwick injury void. Too bad he doesn't swing righty.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Starting to look like this guy needs to be given a chance to fill the Ludwick injury void. Too bad he doesn't swing righty.
    That's all right, the lineup still would be 50% RH with him in there.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    That guy goes by the name of Xavier Paul.

Turn Off Ads?