Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 126

Thread: Reds to sign Cuban OF Felix Perez

  1. #76
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,641

    Re: Reds to sign Cuban OF Felix Perez

    Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    He's now raking at AA and slugging .932 at all 3 stops (DSL, A and AA). After Stubbs at bats tonight I say bring him up. Dickerson probably gets the call. Stubbs needs to go back and learn how to be a pro. hitter and use his skills. Striking out with his speed is unacceptable.
    Makes no sense to send back an above average CF while in the heat of a pennant race.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #77
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Reds to sign Cuban OF Felix Perez

    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Makes no sense to send back an above average CF while in the heat of a pennant race.
    Especially one with a .263/.323/.461 since may 8th which is 1 day after he moved out of the lead off spot, and also includes his latest slump. Prior to that slump he was .285/.349/.500. Stubbs awful start is basically the only reason his average is as low as it is. He has been a .250-.275 hitter the majority of the year since he was moved out of the leadoff spot.

  4. #78
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Cincy
    Posts
    361

    Re: Reds to sign Cuban OF Felix Perez

    Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    He's now raking at AA and slugging .932 at all 3 stops (DSL, A and AA). After Stubbs at bats tonight I say bring him up. Dickerson probably gets the call. Stubbs needs to go back and learn how to be a pro. hitter and use his skills. Striking out with his speed is unacceptable.
    I got excited when I read that he was slugging .932, but OPSing .932 aint bad either.

    I would love to see Perez in AAA very soon. He may be a good September call-up

  5. #79
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,434

    Re: Reds to sign Cuban OF Felix Perez

    IIrc, Stubbs has been the Reds' best hitter next to Votto in the month of July.

  6. #80
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,696

    Re: Reds to sign Cuban OF Felix Perez

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    IIrc, Stubbs has been the Reds' best hitter next to Votto in the month of July.
    He must be a better hitter on radio. On TV, he can be awfully tough to watch. I don't think I've ever seen a hitter so confused about when to swing. But then, the eyes must, to a degree, deceive; because the numbers really aren't all that bad. For all his troubles, he's delivered a lot of big blows this year. And he's still maturing. Put it all together and . . . my head spins.

  7. #81
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: Reds to sign Cuban OF Felix Perez

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    IIrc, Stubbs has been the Reds' best hitter next to Votto in the month of July.
    If you don't put a plate appearance limit on it, he was 9th. Put a 50 PA limit on it to capture only the regular starters and he was 3rd, with a .732 OPS. Which tells me most of the starters struggled during the month.

  8. #82
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,434

    Re: Reds to sign Cuban OF Felix Perez

    Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    If you don't put a plate appearance limit on it, he was 9th. Put a 50 PA limit on it to capture only the regular starters and he was 3rd, with a .732 OPS.
    Thank you for doing the math I should've done. Regardless, he's far from the team's biggest problem. At his worst, he's basically Chris Dickerson on a normal day. He has plenty of room for growth, and if needed, he also has three option years. I see him as one of those guys who improves with time, so I'm really not worried about him.

  9. #83
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,314

    Re: Reds to sign Cuban OF Felix Perez

    Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    He's now raking at AA and slugging .932 at all 3 stops (DSL, A and AA). After Stubbs at bats tonight I say bring him up. Dickerson probably gets the call. Stubbs needs to go back and learn how to be a pro. hitter and use his skills. Striking out with his speed is unacceptable.
    You can't force a player to be something he isn't. Stubbs isn't the type of hitter you think he should be and he is better for it. Taking away Stubbs power to trade it off for a few extra singles is probably a bad idea.

  10. #84
    Member powersackers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,440

    Re: Reds to sign Cuban OF Felix Perez

    Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    He must be a better hitter on radio. On TV, he can be awfully tough to watch. I don't think I've ever seen a hitter so confused about when to swing. But then, the eyes must, to a degree, deceive; because the numbers really aren't all that bad. For all his troubles, he's delivered a lot of big blows this year. And he's still maturing. Put it all together and . . . my head spins.

    This is what I'm seeing too, or at least believe I see. He's trying to be Jonny Gomes when he needs to be Carl Crawford. The power should come, not be forced. Striking out is the worst thing you can do obviously. He does it too much and it hurts the team in close games. Until he figures it out, put in Dickerson who'll get on base at more of a .350+ clip and put the ball in play more than K. I still say let Stubbs figure it out in AAA. Dickerson is a heck of a CF too.

  11. #85
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,314

    Re: Reds to sign Cuban OF Felix Perez

    Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    This is what I'm seeing too, or at least believe I see. He's trying to be Jonny Gomes when he needs to be Carl Crawford. The power should come, not be forced. Striking out is the worst thing you can do obviously. He does it too much and it hurts the team in close games. Until he figures it out, put in Dickerson who'll get on base at more of a .350+ clip and put the ball in play more than K. I still say let Stubbs figure it out in AAA. Dickerson is a heck of a CF too.
    Striking out isn't the worst thing you can do. Grounding into a double play on the first pitch you see is worse. Stubbs isn't this teams problem, not in the slightest. The question I have for you is this.... What is Stubbs supposed to 'figure out' in AAA? How do you go about getting him to that point?

  12. #86
    Member powersackers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,440

    Re: Reds to sign Cuban OF Felix Perez

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Striking out isn't the worst thing you can do. Grounding into a double play on the first pitch you see is worse. Stubbs isn't this teams problem, not in the slightest. The question I have for you is this.... What is Stubbs supposed to 'figure out' in AAA? How do you go about getting him to that point?
    Good question. I want him to figure out how to be a professional hitter and not swing and miss so much.

    33% of the time he K's
    23.5% he gets a hit

    He flies out slightly more than he grounds out.

    He doesn't shorten his swing with 2 strikes, and he doesn't work the pitcher into favorable counts often - he gets into 2 strike counts roughly 67% of the time. Great/Good hitters change their approach with 2 strikes.

    (count / average)
    0-2 .181
    1-2 .125
    2-2 .137
    3-2 .261

    I hope he figures that out. Just my opinion. I'm not a stats junky I just tried to look some up based on what I see and want.

  13. #87
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,314

    Re: Reds to sign Cuban OF Felix Perez

    Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Good question. I want him to figure out how to be a professional hitter and not swing and miss so much.
    I guess I have to ask what a professional hitter is then. What does he do that other guys can do, but don't?

    33% of the time he K's
    No he doesn't. He has been to the plate 377 times this season and struck out 106 times. That is 28%, and it really isn't a good number either way its sliced, but using PA is a much better indicator than using AB's.

    He flies out slightly more than he grounds out.
    So does almost everyone. Flyballs go for outs at a higher rate than groundballs do.

    He doesn't shorten his swing with 2 strikes, and he doesn't work the pitcher into favorable counts often - he gets into 2 strike counts roughly 67% of the time. Great/Good hitters change their approach with 2 strikes.
    You can't work the pitcher into favorable counts. They either throw you strikes or they don't. Stubbs swings at 'non strikes' 25.4% of the time. That is the third least on the team behind Ryan Hanigan at an incredible 18% and Scott Rolen at 24.7%. The problem is, Stubbs struggles to make contact on balls both in and out of the strikezone. He is last on the team of players with 100 PA in both outside of the zone contact rate and inside of the zone contact rate.

    I am not sure what you can do to change that in terms of 'teaching him' how to do something. The only thing I can think of would be to work on his bunting skills and hope that he can bunt well. It could improve his contact rate and likely his AVG/OBP, but you would also be giving up some of his power.

  14. #88
    Member powersackers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,440

    Re: Reds to sign Cuban OF Felix Perez

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I guess I have to ask what a professional hitter is then. What does he do that other guys can do, but don't?


    No he doesn't. He has been to the plate 377 times this season and struck out 106 times. That is 28%, and it really isn't a good number either way its sliced, but using PA is a much better indicator than using AB's.


    So does almost everyone. Flyballs go for outs at a higher rate than groundballs do.


    You can't work the pitcher into favorable counts. They either throw you strikes or they don't. Stubbs swings at 'non strikes' 25.4% of the time. That is the third least on the team behind Ryan Hanigan at an incredible 18% and Scott Rolen at 24.7%. The problem is, Stubbs struggles to make contact on balls both in and out of the strikezone. He is last on the team of players with 100 PA in both outside of the zone contact rate and inside of the zone contact rate.

    I am not sure what you can do to change that in terms of 'teaching him' how to do something. The only thing I can think of would be to work on his bunting skills and hope that he can bunt well. It could improve his contact rate and likely his AVG/OBP, but you would also be giving up some of his power.
    I don't do forums and back and forth like you do so well. But I have to comment on one thing....

    You said "You can't work the pitcher into favorable counts." You make it sound like the batter has no control over what pitches he sees. Foul off about 10 in a row and see what happens, you might just get a walk outta frustration.

  15. #89
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,314

    Re: Reds to sign Cuban OF Felix Perez

    Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    I don't do forums and back and forth like you do so well. But I have to comment on one thing....

    You said "You can't work the pitcher into favorable counts." You make it sound like the batter has no control over what pitches he sees. Foul off about 10 in a row and see what happens, you might just get a walk outta frustration.
    The amount of guys who can purposely foul off 10 in a row on purpose is limited to zero. No one can do that. If they could do it on purpose, they could also hit it where they aren't on purpose all the time and bat .700. Certainly Stubbs needs improve his contact rate, but your example is of something that just isn't capable of being done by anyone in baseball.

  16. #90
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,797

    Re: Reds to sign Cuban OF Felix Perez

    With his speed a bunt single can easily become a bunt double (with a stolen base). I'd like to see him learn that particular skill.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25