Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds/Brew Series - Reds/ATL series

Re: Reds/Brew Series - Reds/ATL series

You're right that it could send the team into a funk. But quite honestly if they're not strong enough to understand 1 game out of 162, things happen, then they were doomed to fall out eventually anyway.

Now is where you see if the Scott Rolen effect has taken hold. It's easy to be the leader when everyone's playing well.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post

The Reds won't be getting any money from me next weekend.
    Oh and for what its worth, though I preach patience, your witholding the money is a very reasonable response to what you just saw.
    Quite honestly though I think it's just one game, I have no way of guaging what's going on in the locker room. It very easily could turn out to be a funk.

Or it could just be one game they let slip away that people won't think about until they're tied for the division in September.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

The pain of the one game playoff 11 years ago has worn off significantly, which allows me to say:

This is the most upset I've ever been in my life over a baseball game. This seriously crushed me.

It may be one game but it's more than that. These types of losses can send a team into a funk, and I would be almost willing to bet anything that is what happens with this team. I'll be shocked if they're within three games of first place two weeks from now.

That, folks, is why we complain about the backup players and mopup guys. Mike Lincoln for three innings? Are you kidding me? Miguel Cairo on the roster and starting? Wow. Why is Paul Janish even on the team if he isn't going to come on as a defensive replacement?

The Reds won't be getting any money from me next weekend.
    I don't know how anyone can't be down after listenning to that game BUT it's not the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    You're right that it could send the team into a funk. But quite honestly if they're not strong enough to understand 1 game out of 162, things happen, then they were doomed to fall out eventually anyway.

Now is where you see if the Scott Rolen effect has taken hold. It's easy to be the leader when everyone's playing well.
    + 1

Now we get to really find out what kind of team we have. Maybe this ONE game will send the team into a funk. But I'm not going to make that assumption. Fortunately there's another game tomorrow. That there's no off day after this loss is a good thing. But thinking that the team can't be within 3 games of 1st in 2 weeks? Love the optimism there. That's not reality. That's just gloom and doom pessimism.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

By all means, vent all you want but I object to judging the entire season based off one really odd game today. Yes, the loss sucked and yes, I'm highly annoyed and really glad I have the season finale of Grey's Anatomy to distract me from baseball stuff this evening, but we've seen these guys bounce back from bad games this year. They responded to the Padres mess by playing awesome baseball and starting to win games. They responded to the Cubs drubbing by taking two out of three from them (one of them, their own drubbing of the Cubs). They responded to the Cards loss by winning the next two games. They responded to last night's loss by beating the snot out of Hanson, the Braves best starter, and running him out of the game early. I know those losses aren't quite the same but they're still losses and the guys don't like to lose. They still fought back in the next game. The sloppiness from today can be fixed (they haven't had a game all year that was this bad, even the Padres game wasn't this bad with all the errors) and until I see how the guys respond to this loss in tomorrow's game, I refuse to say that this loss is going to totally kill their season. I just can't do that but then again, I'm the eternal optimist on this board so it would be out of character for me to do anything else. We'll see tomorrow if I'm right and they come back fighting and get a win in that game.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    The pain of the one game playoff 11 years ago has worn off significantly, which allows me to say:

This is the most upset I've ever been in my life over a baseball game. This seriously crushed me.
    Same here. I'm taking a break this weekend. I won't be watching any of the games in Cleveland.

Please keep the discussion specific to a game and second guessing over individual managerial moves in the game threads.

Too early in the year to cut my wrists, I have all summer with short sleeves coming up.

I guess we were due one of these after all the games we've pulled out of our butt this year. The "funny" thing is, you can't really blame one person. Lincoln, Masset, Dusty, Cordero, and pretty much everyone who played defense all deserve blame.

What are you gonna do though. One of 162. Don't let one turn into a slide.

This loss reminds me of the game against the Cardinals last July 3rd when Homer Bailey pitched an absolute gem through seven innings and had a 3-0 lead and then David Weathers gave up a Grand Slam to Albert Pujols in the 8th inning. After that loss the Reds fell apart. A win there would have pushed them to within one game of first place but they never really recovered from that loss. That's what I'm expecting here. I hope not, but these types of losses prove to be devastating to a team like the Reds.

Sure sometimes a game like this can linger and have a negative effect on a team. But I'd rather wait to see if that is the case OR if it's just one big ugly blip in an otherwise fun Reds May.

Two brutal losses in a row after almost sweeping a homestand and getting into 1st place.

They're only a half game out. They are still 5 games over .500.

Weakenesses showed up in Atlanta.

To lose that game today was just stupid ridiculous, I thought this team was different and built better for the long season, barring breakdowns and injuries. I guess now we'll see what they're made of over the next 3-6 games.

This loss reminds me of the game against the Cardinals last July 3rd when Homer Bailey pitched an absolute gem through seven innings and had a 3-0 lead and then David Weathers gave up a Grand Slam to Albert Pujols in the 8th inning. After that loss the Reds fell apart. A win there would have pushed them to within one game of first place but they never really recovered from that loss. That's what I'm expecting here. I hope not, but these types of losses prove to be devastating to a team like the Reds.
    I was at that one.

As bad as that hurt, this one hurt me worse.

Wow, just got home to see the Reds blew a 9-3 lead in the 9th inning. See, this is exactly why I'm never comfortable with a lead with this team. That trip I talked about taking to Cincy netx weekend? Cancelled. I'm not wasting my money on this crap. People will say it's just one games. No, it's really not. This type of loss crushes a team. I have a feeling this is the beginning of the yearly slide.

Unreal.
    It is just one game. The Reds have a .561 winning percentage this year, which is pretty good. Though the last couple of weeks may have made you believe otherwise, they can't win every game.

This one was worse than the Mother's Day Massacre.

What shall we call this one?

Little Big Horn Revisited?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Turn Off Ads?