Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are the Reds This Year's 'It' Team?

Are the Reds This Year's 'It' Team?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...incinnati+reds

In the top half of the ninth inning of Tuesday's game at Great American Ball Park, the Milwaukee Brewers had a 3-1 lead over the Cincinnati Reds, and the visitors had runners on second and third. By the percentages alone, it was a fine time for the fans to get a jump on traffic home.

But then, "it" started to happen.

Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips speared a bullet line drive to end the inning, bringing the home team up to bat. Utility infielder Paul Janish singled. Scott Rolen hit a pinch-hit home run. Rookie Chris Heisey, in just his 16th major-league at bat, legged out a double. Mr. Phillips walked. Then first baseman Joey Votto hit a frozen-rope single to right to win the game.

And just like that, the Reds were doing something they've done a lot this season—mobbing a teammate on the infield grass. This year alone, the Reds have won a game in their final at-bat 10 times, the most in the majors. That puts the Reds ahead of the pace of the 1959 Pittsburgh Pirates, who had the most last-at-bats wins, 36, since 1920, according to Stats Inc.

"I don't think anyone in this clubhouse had any doubt we were going to win that game," pitcher Homer Bailey said after Tuesday's game, in which he gave up two runs over seven strong innings.

Fast forward two days, and just like that, the Reds found themselves on the other end of baseball's mysterious forces. Thursday, after leading the Atlanta Braves 9-3 going into the ninth inning, the Reds gave up seven runs to lose 10-9, the last four of those runs coming off a grand-slam home run that barely cleared the wall after glancing off the glove of outfielder Laynce Nix. The loss knocked the Reds out of first place by a half-game going into a weekend interleague series at Cleveland.

Still, the Reds are a confident bunch, with a roster full of unknowns and unprovens, guys who eat fruit salad and juggle soccer balls in the clubhouse before games and are thankful just to have jobs in the major leagues. They seem to have that "it" factor. In a league where the margins between success and failure are razor-thin, such confidence and, Reds fans hope, the ability to shake off tough losses can be the difference between challenging for the playoffs and starting to play out the string in mid-August.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    High five!

Re: Are the Reds This Year's 'It' Team?

They juggle soccer balls in the clubhouse?

No wonder they lost.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post

No wonder they lost.

That's a real popular act in NHL locker rooms prior the game.

They don't call it the beautiful game for nothing.

No.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    No.
    color me surprised!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    color me surprised!
    When they find their Ubaldo Jimenez, I'm on board the bandwagon.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

This club reminds me of the respectable Twins' clubs before Santana arrived. Missing that *one* piece.

In that 9th inning yesterday they weren't the "it" team but something else that ends with "it".
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

not "it"
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    In that 9th inning yesterday they weren't the "it" team but something else that ends with "it".
    I was trying to forget.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Maybe Pdoc can start a crusade against juggling soccer balls in the clubhouse.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Senor Votto

Had it not been for yesterday's game would more people been saying Yes this is the 'it' team

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Had it not been for yesterday's game would more people been saying Yes this is the 'it' team
    as emotional as it was, I hope most people base their opinion of the team on more than 1 inning of 1 game
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    This club reminds me of the respectable Twins' clubs before Santana arrived. Missing that *one* piece.
    Did they need Johan to "challenge for the playoffs"? No Brad Radke was good enough for that. And so maybe they are that "it" team, let's hope so.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Maybe Pdoc can start a crusade against juggling soccer balls in the clubhouse.
    Nah, he'll wait a few years until the guys are gone to trash them
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?