Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Reds/Brew Series - Reds/ATL series

Re: Reds/Brew Series - Reds/ATL series

Key point in the season now. Just about every team will have a devastating loss like this at least once in a 162 game season, maybe not quite this bad, but something similar. So what do the Reds do? Do they go to Cleveland and lose 2 of 3? How do they bounce back? I like this teams chances of coming back and continuing to win more than Reds teams of the past because Cabrera and Rolen have been here and done this before. And playing a listless Cleveland team followed by 4 vs Pittsburgh helps as well.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    This loss reminds me of the game against the Cardinals last July 3rd when Homer Bailey pitched an absolute gem through seven innings and had a 3-0 lead and then David Weathers gave up a Grand Slam to Albert Pujols in the 8th inning. After that loss the Reds fell apart. A win there would have pushed them to within one game of first place but they never really recovered from that loss. That's what I'm expecting here. I hope not, but these types of losses prove to be devastating to a team like the Reds.
    Please step away from the ledge OBM.

It's just one game.

The Reds collapsed last year because they weren't very good, not because of one game.

This team will rise or fall based on how well they play, not because of some psychological event based on one loss.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Short team memory of this will make this go away fast. pro ball players realize that you can not let past games dictate future.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

This one game is not nearly as devastating as getting swept in Pittsburgh.

Heres whos to blame for yesterdays loss:

Everyone. Stop making it like its one areas problem.

Dusty-had one of the worst managing innings of all time in the 9th, and I'm a Dusty supporter.

Bullpen-Self Explainatory

Offense-Never take your foot off the gas. You scored one run in 7 innings against the bullpen.

Defense-Self Explainatory.

About the only person you can't blame is Mike Leake

Its just one game. Although I agree this could be a turning point in the season, I don't think Scott Rolen will allow that to happen.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    This one game is not nearly as devastating as getting swept in Pittsburgh.
    I completely agree. Atlanta's going to run off a huge win streak here before long, but Pittsburgh might have the worst team I've seen in a decade.

Simply put, you can afford losses to contenders (even really painful ones), but if you're getting your teeth kicked in by a historically awful team, you're demonstrating that you're probably not very good.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 05-21-2010 at 11:21 AM.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I completely agree. Atlanta's going to run off a huge win streak here before long, but Pittsburgh might have the worst team I've seen in a decade.

Simply put, you can afford losses to contenders (even really painful ones), but if you're getting your teeth kicked in by a historically awful team, you're demonstrating that you're probably not very good.
    I don't think its the fact that we lost. You could have told me we would lose both to Atlanta, and it wouldn't have surprised me. But just a gut wrenching loss like that can start a downward spiral, thats what I'm worried about. But thats what we have Scott Rolen for, hopefully. Don't get too excited after wins, don't get too down after losses.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

From John Fay:

Dusty Baker mentioned that a save was factor in leaving Mike Lincoln. That’s not a veryt good reason to try to get a third inning out of him, but it wasn’t the only reason.

“When we started the inning, Lincoln only had 17, 18 pitches,” Baker said. “We’re in a streak of 20 games in a row. We’ve got 13 more to go. Two innings and 17, 18 pitches is nothing. We were trying to get him a save and save our bullpen for the next 13 days.”
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201.../the-hangover/

Let me know when he explains why he waited until the Braves got 4 straight hits off of Lincoln before replacing him.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    He can't mean "save" as in the "save" stat.

Can he?

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    He can't mean "save" as in the "save" stat.

Can he?
    Rule 10.19 of the Rules of Baseball. That rule states the official scorer shall credit a pitcher with a save when such pitcher meets all four of the following conditions[2]:
    He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his team;
    He is not the winning pitcher;
    He is credited with at least ⅓ of an inning pitched; and
    He satisfies one of the following conditions:
    He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning
    He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, at bat or on deck
    He pitches for at least three innings

No surprise there, ex player who played before free agency and after, a players manager, a guy who knows what numbers are important to his players and tries to help them achieve them.

It's a ying yang thing as far as I can tell, he could do this numerous times succeed and win the fans over and the players. The other side is it fails and the fans whack their heads in disbelief. I think he doesn't give a rats behind what the fans think (which in the end was a problem in Chicago) He'll eventually mistep, the job's end is instigated by the employer more often than not.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Rule 10.19 of the Rules of Baseball. That rule states the official scorer shall credit a pitcher with a save when such pitcher meets all four of the following conditions[2]:
    He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his team;
    He is not the winning pitcher;
    He is credited with at least ⅓ of an inning pitched; and
    He satisfies one of the following conditions:
    He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning
    He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, at bat or on deck
    He pitches for at least three innings
    More indication that the save is a ridiculous measure.

No surprise there, ex player who played before free agency and after, a players manager, a guy who knows what numbers are important to his players and tries to help them achieve them.

It's a ying yang thing as far as I can tell, he could do this numerous times succeed and win the fans over and the players. The other side is it fails and the fans whack their heads in disbelief. I think he doesn't give a rats behind what the fans think (which in the end was a problem in Chicago) He'll eventually mistep, the job's end is instigated by the employer more often than not.
    I understand but I'd rather he make sure he's doing his best to win games rather than get his players token achievements.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    More indication that the save is a ridiculous measure.
    Blame goes directly to Jerome Holtzman and the players union

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Blame goes directly to Jerome Holtzman and the players union
    OK, see if you can get him over here so I can give him what for.

Turn Off Ads?