Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 61

Thread: How Does Your Garden Grow?

  1. #16
    Kmac5 KoryMac5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Waterloo, NY
    Posts
    3,686

    Re: How Does Your Garden Grow?

    Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    I hate to be the messenger of bad news ... sweet corn needs to be planted in blocks, not long rows. The corn needs to pollinate (via the breeze) and it's much more likely to happen with 6 rows 1/3 the length than with 2 rows of any length.

    IMO you'll be lucky to get anything edible out of either row. Likely, the ears will form, but will not mature.

    GL
    Thanks for the info. I believe I have enough room left over to expand to be able to get more of a rectangular shape that would be desired for ultimum corn growing. I should be able to get a third row out of my space which I beleive will help with polination I will give it a try and see what happens. Thanks for the catch.
    Last edited by KoryMac5; 05-17-2010 at 02:53 PM.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Brett William Moore Will M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Crescent Springs KY
    Posts
    3,698

    Re: How Does Your Garden Grow?

    last year my wife planted a couple tomato & pepper plants.

    this year i got involved. heh heh heh.
    1. i have two areas of squash doing well
    2. i made three raised beds. two with watermelon & one with pumpkin
    3. my beans are doing well. i made the mistake of buying bush beans not pole beans but at least i don't have to build a trellis
    4. we have several tomatoes & pepper plants scattered around
    5. i have a few cucumber plants
    6. i planted some carrots. too soon to tell
    7. the peas i planted in the ground didn't come up but the ones i planted in pots did. i am going to transplant them soon

    so far its been fun. mostly i am shocked when the seeds i planted actually grow. in the past i have had a bit of a 'brown thumb'.

    for the most part i have gotten things at Walmart & Home Depot. since it started as a fun experiment i thought i'd start cheap & see if the plants actually grew

    biggest problem so far is that the cats think my garden is a giant litter box!
    .

  4. #18
    Redsmetz redsmetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Winton Place
    Posts
    11,284

    Re: How Does Your Garden Grow?

    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    biggest problem so far is that the cats think my garden is a giant litter box!
    I'm told if you sprinkle some cayenne pepper around, it should ward the cats off. Maybe someone else has an idea.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

    The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

    The Baseball Bookstore

    http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

  5. #19
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,398

    Re: How Does Your Garden Grow?

    When we moved in to this house the yard was a total disaster, which is probably why we got it so cheap. Curb appeal makes a big difference.

    I removed a nine yard dumpster worth of brush and overgrown weed trees, including a massive hedge that blocked the patio and windows of the first floor. I regraded the yard to move water away from the house and found several tons of field stone that had been used to landscape over the years- they were reused to define beds, paths and to elevate a few beds near the house.

    In the front, I re-landscaped the beds near the house, keeping only one plant, a mature holly. In the back yard, added another five yards of soil/compost for my wife's garden and built a new gravel path around the side of the house to that area (about five yards of gravel).

    In the back yard I had a drainage problem- water running from my neighbor's yard and my gutters collected right in the middle of mine, then ran under a shed. To correct this, I needed to halt the neighbor's water at the fence and figure out a way to move water that was coming from the gutters over to the fence line and then around the shed. I built a large raised bed at the fence line (nine yards of topsoil), running the length of the fence between our yards. I filled along the fence with stones to control erosion. Then I fashioned a stone lined swale through the bed diagonally that diverted runoff from the gutters over to the fence line. These two runoff streams are normally dry, but when it rains the water rushes right through them, behind my shed and down to the gulley in the woods.
    Both beds are now covered with ornamental grasses, viburnum, coreopsis, aster and butterfly bushes.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  6. #20
    Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Oxford, OH
    Posts
    2,284

    Re: How Does Your Garden Grow?

    Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    When we moved in to this house the yard was a total disaster, which is probably why we got it so cheap. Curb appeal makes a big difference.

    I removed a nine yard dumpster worth of brush and overgrown weed trees, including a massive hedge that blocked the patio and windows of the first floor. I regraded the yard to move water away from the house and found several tons of field stone that had been used to landscape over the years- they were reused to define beds, paths and to elevate a few beds near the house.

    In the front, I re-landscaped the beds near the house, keeping only one plant, a mature holly. In the back yard, added another five yards of soil/compost for my wife's garden and built a new gravel path around the side of the house to that area (about five yards of gravel).

    In the back yard I had a drainage problem- water running from my neighbor's yard and my gutters collected right in the middle of mine, then ran under a shed. To correct this, I needed to halt the neighbor's water at the fence and figure out a way to move water that was coming from the gutters over to the fence line and then around the shed. I built a large raised bed at the fence line (nine yards of topsoil), running the length of the fence between our yards. I filled along the fence with stones to control erosion. Then I fashioned a stone lined swale through the bed diagonally that diverted runoff from the gutters over to the fence line. These two runoff streams are normally dry, but when it rains the water rushes right through them, behind my shed and down to the gulley in the woods.
    Both beds are now covered with ornamental grasses, viburnum, coreopsis, aster and butterfly bushes.
    Wow. Nice work!

    320
    I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

  7. #21
    Brett William Moore Will M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Crescent Springs KY
    Posts
    3,698

    Re: How Does Your Garden Grow?

    Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I'm told if you sprinkle some cayenne pepper around, it should ward the cats off. Maybe someone else has an idea.
    thanks. i'll look into this.
    .

  8. #22
    I hate the Cubs LoganBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,246

    Re: How Does Your Garden Grow?

    Your cats, or stray/neighborhood cats?
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

  9. #23
    Brett William Moore Will M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Crescent Springs KY
    Posts
    3,698

    Re: How Does Your Garden Grow?

    Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Your cats, or stray/neighborhood cats?
    depends on when you ask

    all four are adopted strays but have been ours for anywhere from 3 to 15 years.
    .

  10. #24
    My clutch is broken RichRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Asheville, NC or thereabouts
    Posts
    3,891

    Re: How Does Your Garden Grow?

    Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    When we moved in to this house the yard was a total disaster, which is probably why we got it so cheap. Curb appeal makes a big difference.

    I removed a nine yard dumpster worth of brush and overgrown weed trees, including a massive hedge that blocked the patio and windows of the first floor. I regraded the yard to move water away from the house and found several tons of field stone that had been used to landscape over the years- they were reused to define beds, paths and to elevate a few beds near the house.

    In the front, I re-landscaped the beds near the house, keeping only one plant, a mature holly. In the back yard, added another five yards of soil/compost for my wife's garden and built a new gravel path around the side of the house to that area (about five yards of gravel).

    In the back yard I had a drainage problem- water running from my neighbor's yard and my gutters collected right in the middle of mine, then ran under a shed. To correct this, I needed to halt the neighbor's water at the fence and figure out a way to move water that was coming from the gutters over to the fence line and then around the shed. I built a large raised bed at the fence line (nine yards of topsoil), running the length of the fence between our yards. I filled along the fence with stones to control erosion. Then I fashioned a stone lined swale through the bed diagonally that diverted runoff from the gutters over to the fence line. These two runoff streams are normally dry, but when it rains the water rushes right through them, behind my shed and down to the gulley in the woods.
    Both beds are now covered with ornamental grasses, viburnum, coreopsis, aster and butterfly bushes.
    Get this guy his own HGTV show!
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

  11. #25
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,376

    Pay attention to the open sky

  12. #26
    Redsmetz redsmetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Winton Place
    Posts
    11,284

    Re: How Does Your Garden Grow?

    I thought I'd bump this thread up. Our garden has been coming in very nicely, although my wife has been battling some worms that show up on broccoli plants. Our tomatoes, beans, zucchini and pepper plants are all coming in nicely. The spinach is done and we got enough to use in some salads, quesadillas and stir fry. The basil and cilantro is also starting to look good. Probably about two to three weeks before some of the stuff is big and ripe enough to have some.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

    The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

    The Baseball Bookstore

    http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

  13. #27
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,376

    Re: How Does Your Garden Grow?

    We're about done with spinach, lettuce, and radishes too.

    Most everything is doing well. We've had some biblical-proportion rain and hail the last few days which battered some of my tomato and pepper plants but they look OK now. My early girl tomatoes look about ready to produce (planted early).

    Lots of rain and lots of humidity and lots of heat == a lot of weeds. They've been poking up through my grass mulch.

    My rain gauge measured 5" between Saturday and this AM.

    Pay attention to the open sky

  14. #28
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,753

    Re: How Does Your Garden Grow?

    It's 50 degrees here.

    The cilantro and parsley love it. As do the slugs.

    The basil, not so much.

    Tomatoes? See you in August.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  15. #29
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,281

    Re: How Does Your Garden Grow?

    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    It's 50 degrees here.

    The cilantro and parsley love it. As do the slugs.

    The basil, not so much.

    Tomatoes? See you in August.
    Coldest June on record and it's not even 2/3rds over

  16. #30
    Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    4,139

    Re: How Does Your Garden Grow?

    Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I believe I have enough room left over to expand to be able to get more of a rectangular shape that would be desired for ultimum corn growing. I should be able to get a third row out of my space which I beleive will help with polination I will give it a try and see what happens. Thanks for the catch.
    Out of the blue the other day, Dad tells me you can shake the tassels of one row and then spread them on the silk of the other and vice versa. He said this would do the trick when mother nature and sparse plantings would not. Do this when the silk first begins to show.

    Thanks pop. He lets me fail with sweet corn 3 years running and hands you the answer on a silver platter. *sigh*

    GL


Turn Off Ads?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25