Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you trade Alonso and or Francisco for a Cliff Lee rental?

Would you trade Alonso and or Francisco for a Cliff Lee rental?

Just some food for thought. I stumbled upon an article where a writer was of the opinion that the Mariners should unload Cliff Lee while is stock if high and the fact he will be a FA at seasons end. The team he mentioned as a trade partner was the Cincinnati Reds.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2010/0...t-later-1.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would you trade Alonso and or Francisco for a Cliff Lee rental?

i would absolutely at least consider it and weigh the options. i dont want to ALWAYS just be looking at the future, lets take advantage of our chance to win the division now, it may be another long draught before its possible again.

I'm not sure about for both. But, I could see giving up Alonso straight up. We would have to eat the rest of Lee's salary, but we would gain 2 picks, and alleviate the problem of who plays first in 2011?
    Restock with a couple extra prospects (hopefully good drafting is involved).

Yes for Alonso and a promise from Lee that we could sign him for a reasonable amount.
    Bowled 12, 300 games, I'm BACK!!

Bowling a 300 game never gets old

I dont know if he would be the best target but id certainly entertain the thought of trading Francisco for him. I dont know about Yonder.

Yeah, I don't think that I'd mind giving up Alonso or Francisco plus another lower tier prospect for a couple of months of Lee. His probable Type A status is the key here. With the way that the Reds have been drafting lately, I'd love to see what they could do with the extra couple of picks in the early rounds. This all hinges on the Reds staying in contention though, and I still think that they need one more legit bat to get it done.

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

I'd consider it. Anytime top of the rotation pitching is mentioned you have to entertain offers, if they come.

"The number Jack Zduriencik should be thinking about today is 513.

Cincinnati’s area code." lol

I absolutely would.

-Matt

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Yonder is expendable because he is only a first baseman. He is a liability defensively elsewhere and I like the new look outstanding defense of this Reds team. Yonder is more than likely only a first baseman/DH. Votto isn't going anywhere.

I'm fine trading Alonso.

I absolutely would love to pick up Lee. I think we run away with the division if we were able to. But I doubt Reds ownership would take on his salary.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Yonder is expendable because he is only a first baseman. He is a liability defensively elsewhere and I like the new look outstanding defense of this Reds team. Yonder is more than likely only a first baseman/DH. Votto isn't going anywhere.

I'm fine trading Alonso.

I absolutely would love to pick up Lee. I think we run away with the division if we were able to. But I doubt Reds ownership would take on his salary.
    If Yonder is only a 1B/DH and can never play LF, then the Reds should trade him.

If either Chapman or Volquez is ready for the rotation later in the year, the Reds could package Harang with Yonder to a rebuilding team who would want Harang's expiring contract and Yonder's potential. Hopefully the Reds could get quite a player for those two.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Roush's socks View Post
    If Yonder is only a 1B/DH and can never play LF, then the Reds should trade him.

If either Chapman or Volquez is ready for the rotation later in the year, the Reds could package Harang with Yonder to a rebuilding team who would want Harang's expiring contract and Yonder's potential. Hopefully the Reds could get quite a player for those two.
    Problem is if we trade Harang his option year next year is automatically kicked in and jumps to $14 Mil vs $12.5 Mil or a $2 Mil buyout if he stays with the Reds. No team, no GM is going to handicap his team with that kind of contract trying to rebuild or not.

Best bet to get Lee is probably going to be Alonso, Wood and Janish. They are going to demand at least 2 near ML ready players (Alonso, Wood) and one more position player (Janish)... I'd throw Maloney in as well if it was make or break. He'd do well pitching in the AL West.

Buy out Harang and Arroyo next year. Find a trade partner for Cordero next off season willing to pick up half his contract and include a prospect to help push it along. Ditch Cabrera, Lincoln, Hernandez and Gomes. That should give you the funds to Re-Sign Lee at 4 for 60ish and cover the raises for Votto, Cueto, Owings and Phillips.

Rotation

Lee
    Cueto
    Leake
    Volquez
    Bailey

Owings
    Del Rosario
    Rhodes/Bray/Valiquette/Joesph
    Herrera
    Ondrusek/Fisher
    Burton/Serrano
    Massett

Votto
    Phillips
    Rolen
    Cozart
    Heisey
    Stubbs
    Bruce
    Hanigan

Castillo UT
    Miller C
    Valakia IF
    Dorn OF/1B
    Dickerson OF

Strong pitching, Deep Bullpen, Decent Line-up, Flexible Bench.

Still keeping a few options at AAA.
    Last edited by nemesis; 05-17-2010 at 02:45 PM.

Trade Alonso for an OF since the Reds have a bunch of starters. What about a 6-man rotation starting in July that would limit Leake's starts? There could already be 7 starters at that time - move 1 to the pen:
    Harang
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Volquez
    Leake
    Chapman
    Bailey
    Last edited by Trace's Daddy; 05-17-2010 at 03:49 PM.

NO, Alonso's gonna be a guy that will give you at least 20 hrs a year and close to a 300 avg. He's played strictly in LF this year in the minors and done a solid job. They are not going to trade him, I REPEAT HE WONT BE TRADED FOR A 1 YEAR RENTAL PITCHER! So get it out of your head!

This team may make the playoffs but I dont see the WS. Why give away a guy you have control of for a few years to get a pitcher for 1 year that wont get us any further than what we already have in the organization? When you have guys like Chapman and Wood in the minors almost ready, not to mention Volquez coming back after the AS break it makes no sense.

Yonders gonna be a hell of a hitter and he will transition into a solid LFer.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Jones1 View Post
    NO, Alonso's gonna be a guy that will give you at least 20 hrs a year and close to a 300 avg. He's played strictly in LF this year in the minors and done a solid job. They are not going to trade him, I REPEAT HE WONT BE TRADED FOR A 1 YEAR RENTAL PITCHER! So get it out of your head!

This team may make the playoffs but I dont see the WS. Why give away a guy you have control of for a few years to get a pitcher for 1 year that wont get us any further than what we already have in the organization? When you have guys like Chapman and Wood in the minors almost ready, not to mention Volquez coming back after the AS break it makes no sense.

Yonders gonna be a hell of a hitter and he will transition into a solid LFer.
    You have Valid points. Alonso may do all the above. We have so many options in the system at OF now, we add Perez to the mix and signs are pointing to an advanced college bat at an OF position, Alonso isn't as untouchable as many would think.

Lee might be the difference in a first round match-up in going one on one with Halladay facing a mostly LH line up vs sending out Harang or Arroyo. Get by them a match-up vs St Louis or San Fran might not be as menacing. You just never know.

Right now, no. Yet I would need to see how things play out. If Harang struggles and the Reds are in first place I would consider it (especially if the trade is contingent upon a long term deal). Get back with me in about 6 weeks.

Turn Off Ads?