Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arthur Rhodes: Type A FA

Arthur Rhodes: Type A FA

According to mlbtraderumors.com, Rhodes is on pace to be a Type A free agent.

The net of this is that if the Reds offer him arbitration and he declines it and pursues FA, the Reds get a 1st rounder (if the team is in the bottom half of the 1st rd) or a 1st rd comp pick (if the team is in the upper half of the 1st rd).

It's quite possible that, if the Reds offer him arb, that he will take it. The past few years have shown teams to be quite reticent to sign type A players that aren't truly impact players.

Given his age and type A status, I don't think it's likely the Reds will extend him. Rather, they'll offer him arb and simply agree on 1 year deal with him if he takes it.

Thoughts?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Re: Arthur Rhodes: Type A FA

I'd extend him one more year

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Rhodes will be 41 next year. I'd offer him arb and be thrilled if he nets a 1st round pick and OK if he accepts and we get him back.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I'd rather get the Type A draft pick compensation if they can. Also trade Alonso for a Cliff Lee rental, and get two Type A draft picks (while going for it this year). This (trading Alonso) would be an especially good strategy if they end up drafting a college OF like Brentz, Choice, or Gary Brown this year.

Alonso for Lee would be like LaPorta for Sabathia part deux, only with hopefully better results this time.
    Go BLUE!!!

I'd simply offer the arb. and roll with it, happy if he accepts content to move one if he doesn't. I know alot of people here aren't fans of Bill Bray but I haven't given up on him being Arthurs replacement if need be.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

To me Rhodes has been better than expected during his time as a Red. Without him this season the Reds aren't where they are. He has been nails coming out of the pen in the 7th or 8th inning. I think often when relievers get old they still can be effective by using guile and trickery. Rhodes, even at 40 years old, gets outs on stuff, not trickery.

If the Reds offer arb, he will almost definitely take it. Will another team really sacrifice a first rounder for him?

Does anyone think Rhodes could get a two-year deal on the FA market? If it's certain that he could, then he'd probably decline arbitration.

RMR, do you happen to have any idea how poorly Rhodes would have to perform the rest of the year to be bumped down to a type B free agent?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    RMR, do you happen to have any idea how poorly Rhodes would have to perform the rest of the year to be bumped down to a type B free agent?
    Here's a summary of how the Elias Rankings work. For relievers, Elias looks at the following stats over a three year period:

Total games (total relief appearances + 2 * total starts)
    IP (weighted slightly less than other categories)
    Wins + Saves
    H/IP ratio
    K/BB
    ERA

Because his games & innings totals are pretty low, he's got to be pretty dominant to be a type A. If I had to guess, I'd say he needs to be fully healthy and put up a sub 3.50 ERA (and corresponding performance) to stay an A.

Here's the full list of guys currently rated A or B:
    Code:
    Name			Team		Type	Score
    Jonathan Broxton	Los Angeles N	A	91.254
    Heath Bell		San Diego	A	84.967
    Brian Wilson		San Francisco	A	82.023
    Nick Masset		Cincinnati	A	80.234
    Luke Gregerson		San Diego	A	79.666
    Carlos Marmol		Chicago N	A	77.793
    Todd Coffey		Milwaukee	A	77.759
    Huston Street		Colorado	A	76.957
    Leo Nunez		Florida		A	75.886
    George Sherrill		Los Angeles N	A	75.686
    Pedro Feliciano		New York N	A	75.351
    Francisco Rodriguez	New York N	A	75.201
    Francisco Cordero	Cincinnati	A	75.067
    Brandon Lyon		Houston		A	74.749
    Ryan Franklin		St. Louis	A	74.548
    Tyler Clippard		Washington	A	74.448
    Ronald Belisario	Los Angeles N	A	73.645
    Ryan Madson		Philadelphia	A	73.545
    Trever Miller		St. Louis	A	73.244
    Billy Wagner		Atlanta		A	71.639
    Rafael Betancourt	Colorado	A	70.569
    Jeremy Affeldt		San Francisco	A	70.435
    Arthur Rhodes		Cincinnati	A	69.147
    Trevor Hoffman		Milwaukee	A	68.495
    Ramon Troncoso		Los Angeles N	A	68.428
    LaTroy Hawkins		Milwaukee	A	68.094
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Peter Moylan		Atlanta		B	67.977
    Edward Mujica		San Diego	B	67.759
    Eric O'Flaherty		Atlanta		B	67.575
    Jeff Fulchino		Houston		B	67.559
    Mike Adams		San Diego	B	66.789
    Evan Meek		Pittsburgh	B	66.756
    Sergio Romo		San Francisco	B	64.916
    Takashi Saito		Atlanta		B	64.900
    Angel Guzman		Chicago N	B	64.247
    Kyle McClellan		St. Louis	B	61.973
    Aaron Heilman		Arizona		B	61.572
    Carlos Villanueva	Milwaukee	B	61.505
    Guillermo Mota		San Francisco	B	61.137
    Octavio Dotel		Pittsburgh	B	60.702
    Sean Marshall		Chicago N	B	59.900
    Hong-Chih Kuo		Los Angeles N	B	59.565
    Burke Badenhop		Florida		B	58.930
    Sean Burnett		Washington	B	58.445
    Juan Gutierrez		Arizona		B	58.010
    Tim Byrdak		Houston		B	57.960
    Dennys Reyes		St. Louis	B	57.960
    Joe Beimel		Colorado	B	57.860
    Renyel Pinto		Florida		B	57.391
    Joe Thatcher		San Diego	B	57.324
    Chad Qualls		Arizona		B	57.157
    Chad Durbin		Philadelphia	B	56.355
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I'd offer him arbitration and leave it up to Arthur. If he's interested in coming back, good for him. If not, best of luck to him in his retirement or with his new team. Any draft picks we may get are a bonus. But I'd leave it up to Arthur...he's certainly earned the right to come back if he wants to. Quite possibly the best FA reliever we've EVER signed.

If the Reds stay in it, offer him Arb. If they fall out of it, deal him for Reid Brignac and recall Chapman to get his feet wet as the late inning lefty in August and September.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    If the Reds stay in it, offer him Arb. If they fall out of it, deal him for Reid Brignac and recall Chapman to get his feet wet as the late inning lefty in August and September.
    This.

If a team out of contention could net a young starting SS for a middle reliever on the wrong side of 40, the GM should get a medal.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    This.

If a team out of contention could net a young starting SS for a middle reliever on the wrong side of 40, the GM should get a medal.
    Brignac won't start in TB and they are only missing a late inning lefty. Rhodes won't cost them much in the way of dough and may be the thing that puts them over the top in the postseason.

Is there a better lefty reliever that they could get?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    This.

Brignac won't start in TB and they are only missing a late inning lefty. Rhodes won't cost them much in the way of dough and may be the thing that puts them over the top in the postseason.

Is there a better lefty reliever that they could get?

double post

Turn Off Ads?