Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You're the GM

You're the GM

We've all heard the rumors. We know who's available, and we have an idea of what those teams are looking for. So the question is now- you are the GM. What do you do?

I would first call Jack Z, and make the following offer:

Seattle gets: Alonso, Heisey, Boxberger
    Cincinnati gets: Cliff Lee and Brandon League

I would be willing to slightly increase the offer, perhaps to even Alonso and Mesoraco (no Boxberger or Heisey), but not go much beyond that. If that didn't get it done, I'd turn to Arizona.

Arizona gets: Bailey, Wood, Alonso, and Cozart
    Cincinnati gets: Dan Haren and Stephen Drew

Imagine going into the postseason with Haren headlining the rotation, while going into the next three years with a rotation of:

1. Haren
    2. Cueto
    3. Leake
    4. Volquez
    5. Chapman

and a lineup of

2B Phillips
    SS Drew
    1B Votto
    3B Rolen
    RF Bruce
    LF Gomes/Francisco
    CF Stubbs
    C Hanigan/Mesoraco

Wow. I'd consider adding Heisey to that deal if it got it done, especially if the D'backs add Heilman. Thoughts?
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: You're the GM

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    We've all heard the rumors. We know who's available, and we have an idea of what those teams are looking for. So the question is now- you are the GM. What do you do?

I would first call Jack Z, and make the following offer:

Seattle gets: Alonso, Heisey, Boxberger
    Cincinnati gets: Cliff Lee and Brandon League

I would be willing to slightly increase the offer, perhaps to even Alonso and Mesoraco (no Boxberger or Heisey), but not go much beyond that. If that didn't get it done, I'd turn to Arizona.

Arizona gets: Bailey, Wood, Alonso, and Cozart
    Cincinnati gets: Dan Haren and Stephen Drew

Imagine going into the postseason with Haren headlining the rotation, while going into the next three years with a rotation of:

1. Haren
    2. Cueto
    3. Leake
    4. Volquez
    5. Chapman

and a lineup of

2B Phillips
    SS Drew
    1B Votto
    3B Rolen
    RF Bruce
    LF Gomes/Francisco
    CF Stubbs
    C Hanigan/Mesoraco

Wow. I'd consider adding Heisey to that deal if it got it done, especially if the D'backs add Heilman. Thoughts?

For that same offer of prospects to Arizona I'd ask for Young and take a flyer on Webb to see what the reaction was. If we were close on a big deal like that from Arizona I'd pull the trigger on it before anyone else could set the market on a deal for Lee.If it took more I'd probably still do it. Haren and Drew put us over the top in 2010 and beyond imo.

The upside on a grab for Webb is he's probably not going to show much the last half of this year but you'd get to know from the inside if he was worth signing cheaply for a bigger 2011.

Options on Harang and Arroyo plus adding Haren and maybe Webb to the mix along with all the other arms would give us some real flexibility and pitching depth to work from to continue to improve after this year.

I'd say we are good enough to win the division already so we're not really that desperate to do anything but if anyone want's to make a deal we'll listen to what you want to offer us and then we'll go from there.

The deal I would go after, first and foremost, is Oswalt and Lindstrom for Harang, Heisey, Frazier, Francisco, Maloney or something along those lines.

Ty Wiggington for Matt Maloney and Zach DiDi Gregorius.
    Wiggington offers added major league depth at 3B, 1B, and the corner OF spots. This means he could take Cairo's spot, if need be. He's also an adept PH/ DH.

Marlon Byrd for Henry Rodgriguez and Brad Boxberger.
    Byrd can play any of the three OF spots well and is also an outstanding bench player/ PH. He could take the spot of Nix and would keep Matthews in AAA so that Redszone wouldn't blow completely up.

Yonder Alonso and Travis Wood for Roy Oswalt.
    I'd prefer Lee, but Minnesota already seems to have made that happen, so I'd turn to the second-best pitcher on the list. He's used to pitching in a small bandbox and in big games. Both Alonso and Wood are blocked by better players. Since the Reds would take on all Oswalt's salary, this package is probably overpaying, but Houston may not want to deal within the division.

The starting lineup wouldn't be affected all that much, but the bench and rotation would be much improved. The 40-man and 25-man rosters would stay even as well.

I still push back the notion that Wood is blocked.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I still push back the notion that Wood is blocked.
    Hey, this is a family board.

Resident PED Expert

Since were playing hypothetical...

Trade Alonso, Bailey and Burton to Arizona for Haren.

Trade Francisco, Dorn, Cozart, and DRH to Seattle, Harang, Valiquette, PTBNL (Dickerson), Gregorious and Cash to the Mets, Seattle sends Lopez to NY Mets, NY Mets sends Tejada, Martinez and Carter to the Reds.

Trade Fellhauser and Fisher to KC for Farnsworth and Cash.

DFA Nix (put back in AAA)
    Send Smith to AAA to Close.

Phillips
    Cabrera
    Votto
    Rolen
    Gomes
    Bruce
    Stubbs
    Hanigan

Carter
    Cairo
    Hernandez
    Janish
    Heisey

Haren
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Harang
    Volquez/Leake/Bailey/Wood

Owings
    Ondrusek
    Bray
    Massett
    Rhodes
    Farnsworth
    Cordero

2011 Off season...

Trade Tejada, Sappelt and Ondrusek for Drew
    Re-Sign Rhodes for 2 Mil.
    Decline Arroyo, Harang, Cabrera, Hernandez's options
    Expiring contracts of Lincoln, Miles, Cairo
    Sign Votto, Bruce and Cueto to LTD.
    Trade Wood, Boxberger, Cordero and cash (difference between contract's) for Soria.

2011 Line-Up:

Phillips
    Drew
    Votto
    Rolen
    Bruce
    Gomes
    Stubbs
    Hanigan

Castillo (C/UT)
    Carter (1B/COF)
    Janish (IF)
    Heisey (CF/OF)
    Sutton (IF)

Rotation:

Haren
    Cueto
    Volquez
    Leake
    Chapman

Bullpen:

Owings
    Farnsworth
    Bray
    Smith
    Rhodes
    Massett
    Soria

Martinez, Nix, Miller, Mez, Valakia, Balentien, Henry and Frazier in AAA to start the year.
    Have Grandel, Soto, Yorman, H. Rodriguez, Hamilton, Arias, Duran still in System.
    Klinker, LeCure and Maloney AAA Rotation depth.
    Del Rosario, Delgado, Joseph and Krebs as Bullpen depth.

Phiilps
    Drew
    Votto
    Rolen
    Bruce
    Stubbs
    Martinez (LF)
    Mez

Frazier
    Hanigan
    Carter
    Janish
    Heisey

Cueto
    Volquez
    Leake
    Chapman
    Klinker
    Last edited by nemesis; 07-06-2010 at 12:34 PM.

If I'm AZ, I want two SP's for Haren. IMO the price for Haren is easily as high as it is for Lee because of his contract. He's not a rental so they would want more. I bet they ask for Leake first and foremost.

My offer would be Bailey, Wood, and Valliquette/Del Rosario/Ondrusek for Haren. They can keep Drew as I think he's waaaaay overrated. in what amounts to just under 4 full seasons this is his line: .270 .327 .441 .768 I guess that's ok, but I want just a bit more. There just isn't a single thing that Drew does that is exceptional.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Chris Valaika, Maloney/Wood & Juan Francisco to KCR for David DeJesus & Alberto Callaspo

I have high hopes everything else will work itself out eventually, although Masset is really starting to worry me. But the offense will need a boost at the top eventually and DeJesus (platooning with Gomes, Stubbs and Heisey in LF and CF) will help with that. Callaspo improves our IF bench depth. He can play 2B/3B/SS and hits well from both sides of the plate. Frankly at this point Callaspo might be better than OCab but that may work itself out if OCab needs some time on the shelf.

Nix sent to Louisville if he accepts and released if not.
    Janish to Louisville to get regular playing time at 2B/SS (taking Valiaka's spot)
    Burton up and Masset to Louisville (to regain his confidence)
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I'd look to get Haren instead of Lee due to length of contract.

I'd be reluctant to move Meso, catchers are hard to find, especially ones with plate discipline, power and defense. I'd rank him just behind Chapman in guys I want to move.

I'd rather keep Wood too, he's going to provide some cheap pretty good pitching I would imagine. But not untouchable.

I'd look to move Alonso, Wood and another prospect to Arizona for Haren.

I think the entire focus should be on a starting pitcher. The bullpen has been improved from within. The bench has performed well. The starting lineup is good -- don't underestimate Cabrera who is a winning player and who is playing better defensively than earlier in the season.

By far the most important issue is that the Reds don't have a starting pitcher who other teams fear. Somebody you can match up against a Carpenter or Wainright and have confidence can win. I think such a new pitcher is important for key stretch games and hopefully playoffs.

This is the gap. Trade Alonso, Wood, and Valiquette or some similar combination and get Haren or even a rental.

A good bullpenner would also help, but is now less of an urgent need in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    If I'm AZ, I want two SP's for Haren. IMO the price for Haren is easily as high as it is for Lee because of his contract. He's not a rental so they would want more. I bet they ask for Leake first and foremost.

My offer would be Bailey, Wood, and Valliquette/Del Rosario/Ondrusek for Haren. They can keep Drew as I think he's waaaaay overrated. in what amounts to just under 4 full seasons this is his line: .270 .327 .441 .768 I guess that's ok, but I want just a bit more. There just isn't a single thing that Drew does that is exceptional.
    They can't have Leake if I'm GM, Leake might outpitch Haren in GABP or be just as good while making the minimum over the next few years.

As far as Drew goes yeah he is a bit overrated but I don't have a big problem with his production. But at the price he will likely demand with Boras as his agent (and given JD Drews penchant for wanting top dollar) I'd probably pass given the likely asking price for him.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I think the entire focus should be on a starting pitcher. The bullpen has been improved from within. The bench has performed well. The starting lineup is good -- don't underestimate Cabrera who is a winning player and who is playing better defensively than earlier in the season.

By far the most important issue is that the Reds don't have a starting pitcher who other teams fear. Somebody you can match up against a Carpenter or Wainright and have confidence can win. I think such a new pitcher is important for key stretch games and hopefully playoffs.

This is the gap. Trade Alonso, Wood, and Valiquette or some similar combination and get Haren or even a rental.

A good bullpenner would also help, but is now less of an urgent need in my view.
    So you expect the offense to continue to play well the rest of the year (and without injuries) and the bench is OK? I don't think the entire focus should be on acquiring an ace though most of it is a fair statement.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    So you expect the offense to continue to play well the rest of the year (and without injuries) and the bench is OK? I don't think the entire focus should be on acquiring an ace though most of it is a fair statement.
    The team has a large lead in many key offensive categories in the NL. I really don't see any need to tinker with the position players on this club right now.

Yes, for a star left fielder or shortstop, I would deal, but I wouldn't break up the chemistry for merely a possible incremental upgrade. The offense and defense are clicking pretty well with a good mixture of veterans and young players. Even if the offense cools off a bit, it has outperformed any expectations by a mile.

IMO, a starting staff of Arroyo, Harang, Cueto, Leake, and Volquez off injury may come up short. This is the area of need.

And yes, I think the bench is ok. Heisey, Nix, backed by Matthews and eventually Dickerson in the outfield. Janish and Cairo in the infield. I think Cozart or Valaika could back up in the infield if necessary. I think Dorn, Francisco or Alonso could come off the bench to hit if there's an injury. Corky provides catching depth.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-06-2010 at 01:17 PM.

Turn Off Ads?