Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Cliff Lee

Re: Cliff Lee

I have a friend that works for MLB and he told me that the Reds are definitely a dark horse for Lee, though not the favorite at the moment.

Take it for what it is worth.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Aaron Harang, Travis Wood, Yonder Alonso, and Devin Mesarreco for Cliff Lee and Brandon League

Too much. Mes and Wood shouldn't go for a rental in my opinion.

Just saw this on CBS Sportsline when I clicked on Lee's player profile:

Cliff Lee, SP SEA
    News: MLB Network analyst and former Mets general manager Jim Duquette said on Sirius XM satellite radio Thursday that Mariner pitcher Cliff Lee told people around the club that Tuesday's start may have been his last start with the team. Lee has been prominently featured in trade rumors, but there are no reports as to who he may wind up with if he does indeed get traded.
    FWIW...
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

What a hell of a debut for Wood. If he really is "trade bait," M's had to be highly impressed.

From CBS Sports:

Cincinnati knows it has a real chance to win the NL Central, and Lee could put the Reds over the top. And, don't underestimate the Reds' motivation: General manager Walt Jocketty was fired by St. Louis less than three years ago, and you bet the twin prospects of bringing the Reds back to prominence while toppling St. Louis to get there would become a highlight in Jocketty's personal scrapbook.
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/1...;pageContainer

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    My ears just checked in to say: "That's music."

One thing to consider is...if the M's plan to trade Lee...I think they have to move within the next couple of days. The deeper into July Lee stays with the M's...the less he becomes worth to another team. Think about it...he'll probably make 6 starts this month. If they decide to trade him and wait until the deadline and the team trading for him loses those 6 starts...I would think that would really decrease his value to another team.

Resident PED Expert

It sure does sound like it's going to be the Twins. They have a better trade piece at the most premium position. No way on earth do I give up Mez for him. Become way to valuable to this franchise this season. He could be in Cincy as soon as next summer. He might only be a month away from Louisville.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    One thing to consider is...if the M's plan to trade Lee...I think they have to move within the next couple of days. The deeper into July Lee stays with the M's...the less he becomes worth to another team. Think about it...he'll probably make 6 starts this month. If they decide to trade him and wait until the deadline and the team trading for him loses those 6 starts...I would think that would really decrease his value to another team.
    But you must also consider that ESPN has asked them to hold off on trading him to the Yankees for the sake of their trade deadline programming
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I'd give up Mez for him. People keep forgetting the Reds would get two draft picks once Lee walked at the end of the year. There is a ton of value there. Two of the prospects that we trade away can basically be replaced.

Chances like this don't come along too often. Cliff Lee is as close to a sure thing as there is, and he has a great postseason track record. It's going to be a bidding war, so the Reds will certainly have to give up something of value, which is to be expected.

If someone said when the Reds drafted Mez in 2007, "This will be the guy that you will trade for one of the best 4 pitchers in baseball that will almost assure you that you will make the postseason", what would you have said?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I'd give up Mez for him. People keep forgetting the Reds would get two draft picks once Lee walked at the end of the year. There is a ton of value there. Two of the prospects that we trade away can basically be replaced.

Chances like this don't come along too often. Cliff Lee is as close to a sure thing as there is, and he has a great postseason track record. It's going to be a bidding war, so the Reds will certainly have to give up something of value, which is to be expected.

If someone said when the Reds drafted Mez in 2007, "This will be the guy that you will trade for one of the best 4 pitchers in baseball that will almost assure you that you will make the postseason", what would you have said?
    Agreed. Mez, Wood, Alonso + is too much for Lee. But would I trade Mesoraco and a lesser player for him? Absolutely.

I'm surprised that I have yet to see two words associated with Mesoraco on this board, so I'll go ahead and float them out there: SELL HIGH

I am not saying that any of this is necessarily a fluke. Mez could become a very good prospect and player at the major league level. In fact I was one of his bigger skeptics, but am starting to come around the kid, and would probably rank him as the second or third best prospect in the system at this point. But remember, he has had one very good half season among three years of mediocrity. Here are just a few players in the last few years who had very good pedigrees and sustained a career minor league OPS over .800 (read: better than Mez), including success in the high minors:

Jeff Clement
    Jarrod Saltalamacchia
    Taylor Teagarden
    Max Ramirez

Look at how they have turned out. The Braves were smart and traded Salty at his peak for Mark Teixiera. Let's be more like the Braves for once. True they had McCann at the big league level, but we would have Hanigan, Grandal, and presumably two additional high draft picks as a result of Lee's departure.
    Go BLUE!!!

I'm still intrigued by the possibility of trading Bailey as a PTBNL if he can show that he is healthy. The guy could clearly use a change of scenery if nothing else.
    Go BLUE!!!

Cruisin' for trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I'm still intrigued by the possibility of trading Bailey as a PTBNL if he can show that he is healthy. The guy could clearly use a change of scenery if nothing else.
    I don't disagree, but if you are the M's, do you want to make a trade for a guy suffer through shoulder woes?

I'm sure they are viewing the Lee trade as a way to inject youth and talent into the org that is currently lacking. They have to hit a homer here (and not one with a shoulder problem).

Also, the 2011 draft is shaping up to be one of very nice depth...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Turn Off Ads?