Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Gomes on Stubbs being plunked, ignore the John Fayls if you can

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Gomes on Stubbs being plunked, ignore the John Fayls if you can

    Coffey hit Drew Stubbs, the nexty batter, was a pitch.

    Gomes, who has been known to mix it up on a occasion, let that slide.

    “We don’t have time for that,” Gomes said. “We’re focused on winning.”
    You know its in their minds at least :O

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,797

    Re: Gomes on Stubbs being plunked, ignore the John Fayls if you can

    If the Reds were scuffling along it would have been on. I remember Gomes in a couple of fights earlier in his career. He will beat the snot out of someone.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northeast KY
    Posts
    873

    Re: Gomes on Stubbs being plunked, ignore the John Fayls if you can

    I'd probably feel like plunking someone if I had lost 7 straight too... It was so nice seeing Coffey give that homer up. It was like old times

  5. #4
    The Franchise sivman17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    736

    Re: Gomes on Stubbs being plunked, ignore the John Fayls if you can

    Quote Originally Posted by arkimadee View Post
    I'd probably feel like plunking someone if I had lost 7 straight too... It was so nice seeing Coffey give that homer up. It was like old times
    I just can't believe they let him in there so long. He was getting pounded by Reds hitters.

    As C Trent pointed out, he was very efficient. He faced 9 batters and only threw 21 pitches.

  6. #5
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Gomes on Stubbs being plunked, ignore the John Fayls if you can

    I was predicting everything right last night. Had to work late, and even in filthy clothes, I stopped at Tabby's in Mason to eat and watch the game. The people around me wanted the lottery numbers after all my predictions.

    1. I said Gallardo was getting up there in his pitch count and would be taken out after the 6th inning, which he survived but started to get hit.
    2. I said the Brewers bullpen is one of the worst in MLB, and the Reds would stick it to them after Gallardo left the game.
    3. When Coffey came in I said "look out, here it comes" (as did probably every other Reds fan). And the floodgates opened.
    4. When they intentially walked Hanigan to get to Gomes......I said "Jonny is going to be ticked off.......watch him jack one out"..........and he did. I also said, Gomes is one of the best pure fastball hitters and Coffey is mainly a fastball pitcher. This is a dumb move by Macha. I know Hanigan is hitting lights out too, but Gomes has more pure power and loves drilling fastballs. Plus he was due.
    5. After Gomes HR, I said the next guy is going to get plunked by Coffey.........and guess what happened.

    Good win by the Reds.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    1,033

    Re: Gomes on Stubbs being plunked, ignore the John Fayls if you can

    Before the onslaught started the Reds tv team was going on about how Coffey is a different pitcher this year with vast improvement. Then I saw him throw those arrow straight fastballs we're so familiar with and I wondered what they were talking about.

    So glad we have a real bullpen now to watch! Coffey vs. Masset made all the difference last night.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    dayton oh
    Posts
    110

    Re: Gomes on Stubbs being plunked, ignore the John Fayls if you can

    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I was predicting everything right last night. Had to work late, and even in filthy clothes, I stopped at Tabby's in Mason to eat and watch the game. The people around me wanted the lottery numbers after all my predictions.

    1. I said Gallardo was getting up there in his pitch count and would be taken out after the 6th inning, which he survived but started to get hit.
    2. I said the Brewers bullpen is one of the worst in MLB, and the Reds would stick it to them after Gallardo left the game.
    3. When Coffey came in I said "look out, here it comes" (as did probably every other Reds fan). And the floodgates opened.
    4. When they intentially walked Hanigan to get to Gomes......I said "Jonny is going to be ticked off.......watch him jack one out"..........and he did. I also said, Gomes is one of the best pure fastball hitters and Coffey is mainly a fastball pitcher. This is a dumb move by Macha. I know Hanigan is hitting lights out too, but Gomes has more pure power and loves drilling fastballs. Plus he was due.
    5. After Gomes HR, I said the next guy is going to get plunked by Coffey.........and guess what happened.

    Good win by the Reds.
    Nice predictions, but I dont think you can claim #4, the announcers on the broadcast said the exact same thing, almost word for word, as Hannigan was being walked...unless you had no sound where you were at.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    2,082

    Re: Gomes on Stubbs being plunked, ignore the John Fayls if you can

    Nice of Gomes to let it slide that Stubbs got plunked. It seems like they should have asked Stubbs about it instead, though.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    855

    Re: Gomes on Stubbs being plunked, ignore the John Fayls if you can

    Except it was a message to Gomes "Don't stand there and watch the HR!"
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    588

    Re: Gomes on Stubbs being plunked, ignore the John Fayls if you can

    I don't think anyone can actually comment on the Brewers walking Hannigan to pitch to Gomes, seeing as how they walked Bruce to pitch to Gomes.

  12. #11
    He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    703

    Re: Gomes on Stubbs being plunked, ignore the John Fayls if you can

    If Fielder hadn't gotten on base in the 8th and there were 2 outs with no one on base, I believe Masset would have plunked McGahee. But with a man on base, revenge can wait.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,577

    Re: Gomes on Stubbs being plunked, ignore the John Fayls if you can

    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    5. After Gomes HR, I said the next guy is going to get plunked by Coffey.........and guess what happened.
    Everyone on the MLB network said the next guy would get plunked, also (referring to Gomes' antics).

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    119

    Re: Gomes on Stubbs being plunked, ignore the John Fayls if you can

    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    If the Reds were scuffling along it would have been on. I remember Gomes in a couple of fights earlier in his career. He will beat the snot out of someone.
    Gomes's wife is a cousin of a good friend of mine, who comes from a Boston family with season tickets at Fenway for longer than I've been alive.

    The day Jonny was set to meet the family was the day James Shields plunked Coco Crisp and Gomes rushed to Shields's defense, starting a benches-clearing brawl and getting him suspended for five games. Meanwhile, my friend's whole family is staring at the TV with their jaws on the floor. "Needless to say," he says, "We didn't meet Jonny Gomes that day." From what I hear, my friend still hasn't met Jonny, but the rest of the family has and finds him to be completely awesome.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25