Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds should trade for Greinke

Reds should trade for Greinke

Clark Fosler's article on Royals Authority outlining why he thinks the Royals should trade Greinke and what he thinks they could expect in return:

http://www.royalsauthority.com/?p=2390

After reading through the Cliff Lee threads last night, I'm of the opinion we should push hard for Greinke instead. He's younger than Lee (26 to 31), cheaper (7.5 to 9) and we'd control him for longer (2.5 years to .5 years). He's also the better pitcher IMO. All that being said, he' probably cost us more in terms of talent as well.

I'd personally be willing to part with any 4 players in our Minor League system and Bailey from the Major League squad.

Assuming he's made available, I'm thinking a package of Bailey, Wood, Maloney, Mesoraco and Francisco gets it done.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Reds should trade for Greinke

All I know is that if Reds Management is serious, they have to consider that the one thing missing from this team is a true #1 starter. Whether it be Greinke or Lee, they will have to consider it come late July.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

They would want Bruce.

I agree with the general idea here, we do need a solid #1 ace that can be a big game pitcher. We have guys that can maybe do it sometimes, but lacking consistency. Hopefully if we are in it come early trade deadline and there is a real possibility of getting someone of the Greinke / Lee caliper, even if only for a short time, i'd rather go down swinging than looking.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    They would want Bruce.
    Maybe, but I don't think it'd be too hard to push them in another direction.

The whole point for them in trading Greinke would that their team has so many holes to fill that 1 superstar isn't enough to help them win. They need quality and quantity.

If they went after a player like Bruce (already in the majors, very young, superstar potential, etc), he'd likely be just about all they got. Look at the returns for pitchers like Halladay, Lee, Sabathia, etc. No player like Bruce was dealt for any of those pitchers. Even the author of the article backs off from expecting any team's #1 prospect in return, acknowledging that few are ever dealt.

That being said, if they were willing to deal Greinke for Bruce straight up (+ a fringe guy), I'd consider that as well, but only because Greinke is so young and we'd control him for 2.5 years.

The deal breaker would be whether or not I could then swing a deal for a player such as Kemp, Markakis, or McCutchen to help fill the void left by Bruce.

They would want too much for him...and besides...the Reds would never sign him long term to the $$$'s a pitcher like him would demand. So, we lose some great young talent for a Rent-a-Pitcher.

No thanks. We are finally getting this thing headed in the right direction...and we still haven't brought up Chapman. I see no reason to potentially derail this thing.

First Place.....for 2 days in a row!

I can't see why KC would ever trade Greinke, that article aside.

And even if they did, the bidding war for him would be of epic proportions. The "winner" would have to all but drain their farm system to get him. Not that he isn't worth it, but I just don't see The Reds landing him. Ever.

I can see the Reds looking for another good bat, but I just don't see them trading for another pitcher at this point.

Im not sure where all these pitching trades are coming from.

We have Volquez available after the all-star break, and chapman available hopefully around the same time. And these are only IF we need them. If the pitching staff continues to do even close to what they are doing over the past 9-10 games. Why do we need another pitcher?

My first thought the Royals would never trade Greinke so why are we discussing it. But after looking at his contract, I could see the merit it trading him. He is getting
    7.25 Million this year but it jumps up to 13.5 in 2011 & 2012.

So 2 questions. Do the Royals have much of a chance winning during the remaining 2.5 years left on his contract. I would say NO. Do the Royals have much of a chance resigning him after 2012. I would say NO again. So if you can't win with him and can't keep him, the best thing to do is flip him for a King's Ransom when his value is at its highest

I personally don't think the Reds would be able to land him without giving up someone off their 25 man roster like a Bruce or Cueto which I would not be interested in doing. If it was just minor leaguers thought I would be willing to trade away the entire AAA team for him.

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    Why do we need another pitcher?
    We don't need "another pitcher."

We need a true #1. Probably less than 12 of these guys even exist and even fewer are obtainable.

Pitching and defense wins championships. Especially pitching of the Cy Young variety.

Also, I wouldn't be counting on Volquez (coming off of Tommy John) or Chapman (4.63 ERA, 1.62 WHIP in AAA) to be that shutdown playoff ace we'll hopefully need.

I'd give them Harang, Dickerson, Lincoln, Maloney, Ondrusek and D. Thompson.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerScottDavis View Post
    We don't need "another pitcher."

We need a true #1. Probably less than 12 of these guys even exist and even fewer are obtainable.

Pitching and defense wins championships. Especially pitching of the Cy Young variety.

Also, I wouldn't be counting on Volquez (coming off of Tommy John) or Chapman (4.63 ERA, 1.62 WHIP in AAA) to be that shutdown playoff ace we'll hopefully need.
    I agree with everything you wrote....but I really like the direction this team is heading...if ZG is available today then I say no way....if he is available after we see that Edinson or Chapman is not gonna make it, then I say OK.....but man o man, we have a wealth of "If's" on our staff right now and if those ifs turn our way then we have the best rotation in all of baseball...

I just hate to see things "changed" after things are going so well.....Lets revisit this idea come ASB.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    I'd give them Harang, Dickerson, Lincoln, Maloney, Ondrusek and D. Thompson.

So would Walt....so wouldnt the Royals.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting The Voice of IH's Avatar

oh hell, I say we make a three way trade, get Greinke and Lee, and win this thing
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Turn Off Ads?