Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mardy Gilyard robbed

"Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Marty Gilyard robbed

Hate to see this but at least he wasn't shot. Things can go bad quickly in such situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Thats Mardy with a D Gilyard...

Sorry, couldn't resist. I can't tell you how old hearing that statement got even though I am a huge UC and Gilyard fan. Had to get it out of my system.

Scary stuff for sure. Mardy couldn't be a nicer guy and you hate to see that especially considering how bad it could have gone for a guy who has already been through so much. Thank goodness he wasn't injured and he will be able to replace what was taken rather easily with his shiny new impending contract.

I've had two friends and a load of other aquaintences robbed around Clifton in the past few years. It really is quite unsettling to think about considering the amount of college students in danger around the area.

Police say 23-year-old Mardy Gilyard and 30-year-old Terry Hobbs were held up at gunpoint while a man took two necklaces valued at around $500 each and about $290 in cash
    My guess is they wouldn't have been robbed if they weren't wearing such flashy jewelry in the depths of Clifton. These guys need to show better judgement.

Tell me, would any of you walk down Jefferson Ave wearing a $500 necklace and carry $200 in cash???

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    My guess is they wouldn't have been robbed if they weren't wearing such flashy jewelry in the depths of Clifton. These guys need to show better judgement.

Tell me, would any of you walk down Jefferson Ave wearing a $500 necklace and carry $200 in cash???
    facepalm.

So it was there fault they were robbed.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    facepalm.

Not his fault, but I don't see the point of having a bodyguard if hes not going to carry a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    facepalm.

He showed very poor judgement. If you walk around high crime areas with $500 hanging on your neck then you're taking a huge chance that someone who needs the money for drugs or whatever will violently take it from you. Is that concept really hard to understand?

Re: Mardy Gilyard robbed

Mardy should have just ran.

Didn't this happen at the BP there on the corner across from UC's baseball field and the little shopping plaza? Talk about bold, I would never think of getting robbed at gunpoint there.

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Back when I lived in Clifton, my old roomate was a driver for the Clifton LaRosa's, which is about a block or two away from where Mardy got robbed. He, himself has been robbed at gunpoint, another driver was as well (actually had a gun against his head), a different driver got maced in his face receiving severe burns, a cook was jumped and put in the hospital while waiting for the bus (they stole a whole $7 from him), a manager was attacked late at night while taking out garbage, and on and on. He said there's a whole bunch of areas around Clifton they don't deliver to after dark.

Clifton's getting bad. Real bad. Whether you have flashy chains or are delivering a $10 pie, it's just not safe down there at night. It's a big reason why I moved.

There's no good reason to go within two blocks of Short Vine. I can't believe I used to walk down it every day. The other areas around campus are generally okay. But the eastern edge is pure sketch. The best thing they could do to improve that area is to destroy the shopping center with Kroghetto and restore through traffic. As it is now, Short Vine is cut off from the surrounding area and problems are allowed to fester.
    Last edited by paintmered; 05-18-2010 at 07:20 PM.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Is there nothing the UC administration or the city of Cincinnati can do about it? It sounds positively hellish. Who would want to live, work, and/or try to get an education in such surroundings if they could help it... I'm sure it affects UC's bottom line.

Sounds like an excellent opportunity for some eminent domain gentrification.
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Is there nothing the UC administration or the city of Cincinnati can do about it? It sounds positively hellish. Who would want to live, work, and/or try to get an education in such surroundings if they could help it... I'm sure it affects UC's bottom line.

Sounds like an excellent opportunity for some eminent domain gentrification.
    Since UC doesn't control any of the land in question, they're very much a spectator in this problem.

Corryville & Avondale are probably the two worst neighborhoods in Cincinnati (with Lower Price Hill running a close third and OTR rounding out the Top-4), and they happen to both back right up to the Clifton / UC area. Increased police presence has done very little to solve the crime problem in the area -- the VORTEX and VCS units have helped, but there simply aren't enough officers to be everywhere all the time. Short of posting a police substation and parked squadcars on every corner, there isn't a lot more CPD can do about the problem.

As to the eminent domain issue -- you start treading into Peanut Gallery issues. To make a very long story short, I imagine you'd have a difficult time gaining traction with the issue on city council due to the fact that some of the politicians would stand to lose large voting segments if you attempted to gentrify the area via government takeover.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Since UC doesn't control any of the land in question, they're very much a spectator in this problem.

Corryville & Avondale are probably the two worst neighborhoods in Cincinnati (with Lower Price Hill running a close third and OTR rounding out the Top-4), and they happen to both back right up to the Clifton / UC area. Increased police presence has done very little to solve the crime problem in the area -- the VORTEX and VCS units have helped, but there simply aren't enough officers to be everywhere all the time. Short of posting a police substation and parked squadcars on every corner, there isn't a lot more CPD can do about the problem.

As to the eminent domain issue -- you start treading into Peanut Gallery issues. To make a very long story short, I imagine you'd have a difficult time gaining traction with the issue on city council due to the fact that some of the politicians would stand to lose large voting segments if you attempted to gentrify the area via government takeover.
    Very interesting.

I guess my next question would be why UC doesn't make acquiring more of the adjoining neighborhoods a top priority? The land can't be worth much. HAS there been any discussion/forward momentum of such a plan?

I've always liked Clifton, but then again I've never had the courage to venture anywhere but campus and Calhoun/McMillan.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Turn Off Ads?