Judging from some of the responses I got in the Markakis thread it seems like many people are content with riding the Gomes' wave. I love Gomes and I love his attitude and energy, but how long will he play like this? Are we content with Stubbs? Will Cabrera continue to be solid? How long can we win with Harang? Bullpen? Bench?
Here are my priorities:
1) Stubbs needs to stay hot to keep his job and continue to show improvement at the bottom of the lineup. His OBP is still below 300. If he starts slowing down again I give Heisey a little try and then if that doesn't work I try to make a trade for Andruw Jones who has a .353 OBP and is OPSing .931.
2) Miguel Cairo needs to go, build up the bench with anything I don't care who it is just not Cairo. This is a cheap, easy fix..probably fixable through a AAA promotion.
3) Add a reliever via trade. I don't feel like looking up targets, but I think one more solid bullpen arm could improve this team (unless of course we keep pitching CG shutouts).
Things that may need to happen? (no particular order here):
1) Upgrade to Gomes? I love Gomes attitude and energy, but even after this hotstreak his OBP is still just a tad below MLB average (.330 is ML avg, he's .328). He's very streaky and will be back to normal sometime unless something has really gotten into him. When I mean upgrade I don't mean just barely upgrade, I'm talking a fairly large trade here for a famous player that may involve Alonso/Francisco being traded.
2) Upgrade Orlando? I say only do this if we could somehow land Hanley. Cabrera is still solid on D and ok on offense (although his OBP is pretty crappy). Trade the farm for Hanley if he's available.
3) Harang. What can we do with him? If he doesn't improve consistently I think it wouldn't be crazy to trade him (if possible) or move him to long relief and bring up Chapman, Maloney, Wood or anyone else who could do the same thing, but actually has potential. Another option here would be picking up an ace (lee, greinke, etc) to replace him and keep Chapman for the bullpen or incase someone gets hurt.
Thoughts? Any targets for bullpen improvements?