Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How can we improve this team?

Re: How can we improve this team?

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    If we make the postseason, I'll say it again..........we need a #1 starter.

While I agree with that statement, it's not unlikely that Cueto or Arroyo doesn't turn out to be that guy by the end of the season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Leake, and Cueto look to be a pretty good 1 2 punch.

true and the very well could be legit #1 guys. but the problem with these two along with arroyo, bailey, gomes, bruce, and hannigan is their over achieving right now when you consider their careers as a whole. with cueto, bailey and bruce they are all young and they maybe beginning to hit their peaks in their careers. but guys like arroyo and gomes who have established themselves who are overachieving will they come back down to where their past successes would indicate? maybe maybe not? possibly they learned something that has improved their approach to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    true and the very well could be legit #1 guys. but the problem with these two along with arroyo, bailey, gomes, bruce, and hannigan is their over achieving right now when you consider their careers as a whole. with cueto, bailey and bruce they are all young and they maybe beginning to hit their peaks in their careers. but guys like arroyo and gomes who have established themselves who are overachieving will they come back down to where their past successes would indicate? maybe maybe not? possibly they learned something that has improved their approach to the game.

But, that's how you win Championships. You get several guys that overachieve during one particular season. This is a good omen.

Leake has no career to be overachieving against. Cueto should have been an all-star last season and fell apart in the 2nd half in his 2nd major league season. Arroyo is pitching worse than his career numbers, and has been one of the most underrated starters in the MLB the past few seasons. Bailey is still up and down. Bruce was the former top prospect in all of baseball, he has had his ups and downs, but is an all-star talent...no reason he can't play like one.

For once our players are playing collectively at their talent levels for the most part. Gomes and Hanigan are playing above their talents, but both can be very solid contributors and maybe full time players.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    But, that's how you win Championships. You get several guys that overachieve during one particular season. This is a good omen.
    or ur the phillies, yanks, sox and you get a roster full of guys that are proven players over a long period of time. but yeah the reds, rockies, twins, rays, etc need some overachievers.

or ur the phillies, yanks, sox and you get a roster full of guys that are proven players over a long period of time. but yeah the reds, rockies, twins, rays, etc need some overachievers.
    We are what we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Leake has no career to be overachieving against. Cueto should have been an all-star last season and fell apart in the 2nd half in his 2nd major league season. Arroyo is pitching worse than his career numbers, and has been one of the most underrated starters in the MLB the past few seasons. Bailey is still up and down. Bruce was the former top prospect in all of baseball, he has had his ups and downs, but is an all-star talent...no reason he can't play like one.

For once our players are playing collectively at their talent levels for the most part. Gomes and Hanigan are playing above their talents, but both can be very solid contributors and maybe full time players.
    No one "should be an All-Star" in their 2nd season.

Arroyo has pitched great his last 5 starts and those are the only 5 starts I'm interested in right now.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

completely agree. we got a bunch of #2 and #3 starters. I think if this team is gonna make a big splash for say cliff lee it will probably have to give up a lot and the organization has to be convinced that this will be the difference from just a playoff team to a WS contender. Right now i dont think they want to take that risk b/c we should have a nasty rotation next year and a real legit chance at a WS.

the realistic options for improvement are an outfield bat possibly carlos lee and an extra reliever in the pen. those are moves that will make a difference in a team that misses the playoffs and make the playoffs. from there just hope were the Hot team in the playoffs like the rockies or rays and make it to the WS.
    Thanks for agreeing with me.

But I have to disagree about acquiring another outfielder. Nix and Gomes have combined to be the third most productive LF offensively in all of MLB. (see Fay's article today) And we're only paying them a combined $1.4M. If I'm concerned about any outfield spot, it's the lack of offensive production from CF. Kinda shocked Dusty is playing Stubbs so much and not giving Heisey more time in CF.

I would try and pry Soria away from the Royals. We really need bullpen help.

Soria would be great for our pen, but how much are we willing to give up for him? And could we get Sizemore for less?
    Proud To Be An American But Even Prouder To Be A Reds Fan!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

With Rolen's aches and pains, I was hoping maybe we could trade for Mike Lowell, who is very unhappy with his lack of playing time in Boston. Then I looked at his ridiculous $12.5M contract for this year and realized it won't happen. They have 3 third basemen in Boston - Adrien Beltre, Lowell and Youkilis, although Youk plays 1B most of the time. And they're paying Beltre $10M this season. Unreal. Lowell is a FA after this season.

Just looking for someone to spell Rolen occasionally where maybe Scott only has to play 120 to 130 games and remains fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Thanks for agreeing with me.

But I have to disagree about acquiring another outfielder. Nix and Gomes have combined to be the third most productive LF offensively in all of MLB. (see Fay's article today) And we're only paying them a combined $1.4M. If I'm concerned about any outfield spot, it's the lack of offensive production from CF. Kinda shocked Dusty is playing Stubbs so much and not giving Heisey more time in CF.

I would try and pry Soria away from the Royals. We really need bullpen help.
    yeah idk why i said carlos lee he isnt a CF. i wasnt suggesting improving LF but rather an upgrade to CF. though a proven #1 starter would be great were better off with getting a late inning relief pitcher

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    No one "should be an All-Star" in their 2nd season.

Arroyo has pitched great his last 5 starts and those are the only 5 starts I'm interested in right now.
    Look at Cueto's numbers at the all-star break last season. It is quickly forgotten how good he was in the first half of last season. Official rosters were announced July 5th, right before Cueto got torched for 9 runs in 2/3rds of an inning. At the time he was 8-4, 2.69 E.R.A., 1.12 WHIP, 103.2 IP, 78k's. Those are all-star numbers. You gotta remember Jason Marquis made it and was 10-5 with a 3.87 ERA at July 5th. And Ted Lilly who was 8-6 with a 3.32 ERA. Yes, Cueto should have been and all-star in his 2nd season.

I am also interested in the fact that Arroyo has been a great pitcher for us the past few season's. Arroyo's overall line this season is below his career norm, meaning he should/will continue to pitch like he has in his last 5 starts. That's all I was saying.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 05-23-2010 at 08:21 PM.

Turn Off Ads?